Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN article on Choo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

ESPN article on Choo

Says he is last in defensive runs saved --- should the Reds dump him?

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...leadoff-hitter
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Re: ESPN article on Choo

Nice to read this:

"You know, a lot of people ask me, 'Do you want to stay in Cincinnati, you are a free agent this year?' Actually, I don't know why but I feel more comfortable this year," he said. "I'm not really worried about free agency."

Choo thinks about this for a minute, then he begins to understand why he feels this way.

"I know why," he said. "Cincinnati lost two top prospects, then [they] bring me here so they want me here. So [I'm focusing] on a healthy year. ... Always, my goal is to be better than last year. That's my goal every year. So I want to get better every year."

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I love Choo.

As for his defense, he's playing out of position. He should be in RF.

Trade JB, move Choo to RF, get a real CFer who can also hit (Fowler), and find a right handed power hitting LFer.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 05-08-2013 at 08:44 AM.

4. Likes:

DocRed (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I love Choo.

Trade JB, move Choo to RF, get a real CFer who can also hit (Fowler), and find a right handed power hitting LFer.
    This is a very sensible suggestion, baseball wise. Financially, Choo will be more expensive than Bruce, and he's older, so the Reds probably won't do it.

Also, despite what he says, I think Choo will leave at the end of the year for a huge contract some place. He's so good, it's hard to envision the big markets ignoring him.

I'm guessing the Yankees will go very hard after Choo next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    This is a very sensible suggestion, baseball wise. Financially, Choo will be more expensive than Bruce, and he's older, so the Reds probably won't do it.

Also, despite what he says, I think Choo will leave at the end of the year for a huge contract some place. He's so good, it's hard to envision the big markets ignoring him.

I doubt the Yanks will be in play for ANY big name free agents over the next few years. They're trying like mad to stay under the luxury tax threshold and have an obscenely expensive extension looming over their heads (Cano).

-Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I doubt the Yanks will be in play for ANY big name free agents over the next few years. They're trying like mad to stay under the luxury tax threshold and have an obscenely expensive extension looming over their heads (Cano).

-Matt
    I hope you are right. I can see a lot of arguments for the Yanks being interested in Choo.

Wherever he winds up, though, I must say that Choo is a tremendous player. I hope the Reds figure out a way to take better advantage of the rather incredible duo of Choo and Votto this year.

Such a nice sounding down to earth guy.....and he picks the agent who makes every player look like they are in it only for the money.
    If Choo tells Boras to give the Reds a chance with a smaller dollar/years based contract......Boras will talk him out of it....so no I do not think they have much of a chance to sign him. Can the Reds re-negotiate their TV deal in advance? That would help.

Where would this team be offensively w/out Choo? He's obviously not a GG CF but he simply doesn't fit long term.....because of the deals to Ludwick and Bruce. As for trading Bruce, have at it. But, other teams see the same flaws in his game as we do and I would be shocked if he brought anything very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

Yeah it makes a lot of sense. Bruce and Choo will be somewhat similar in production and financially over next four years. So if money is the issue in signing Choo that will be the only way to free up that much. In dealing Bruce you are also able to bring back talent that you wouldn't get from letting Choo walk. Someone would give close to a Justin Upton package since they are similar and Bruce is cheaper and under more control. Only a draft pick comes back if Choo walks.

Would be a shrewd move and I don't think the Reds would. It would be making the most out of your assets though.

I love Choo.

Actually, this isn't too far fetched or unreasonable.

But be very, very wary of Fowler. He's has a career .800 ops, but only .719 on the road.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Actually, this isn't too far fetched or unreasonable.

But be very, very wary of Fowler. He's has a career .800 ops, but only .719 on the road.
    I'm probably off on this one...........but GABP is a hitter's park too. Playing 81 games in GABP surely wouldn't hurt Fowler.........or would it?

I'm probably off on this one...........but GABP is a hitter's park too. Playing 81 games in GABP surely wouldn't hurt Fowler.........or would it?
    hmm, good point. Gotta say, I have no clue lol
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

GABP is a great HR park but contrary to popular belief it is NOT a good hitters park. The relatively short distances to the OF walls will create a high number of HRs, but the short walls also create a smaller OF surface meaning less ground to cover for outfielders and less space for hits to fall in. Over the past 5 years GABP is well above average in HRs, but average to below average in hits, doubles and triples.

Coors on the other hand is a pitchers nightmare. Everybody talks about the thin air there which is why they are at the top of the charts in HRs given up. The thing that gets underplayed is the stadium dimension are huge and it has far and away the largest OF playing surface of any stadium in the majors. More space means more room for hits to fall in, which is why in the last 5 years in ranks #1 in hits allowed, #2 in doubles and #1 in triples on top of all the HR issues.

Dexter Fowler 3 year road slash is .335/.366/.701. Count me in with the not worth the price crowd.

15. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (05-08-2013)

One bad stretch of games and you want to trade Bruce? I wonder if the Dodgers are ready to trade Kemp... Kemp for Bruce, and move Choo to RF.

17. Likes:

Cursh14 (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    One bad stretch of games and you want to trade Bruce? I wonder if the Dodgers are ready to trade Kemp... Kemp for Bruce, and move Choo to RF.
    Uh no. I've been willing to trade Bruce for a couple of years now.

I'm an OBP guy. A clutch hitter guy.

Bruce has never been clutch.

I've been very consistent on this.

I did think early on that Jay was making strides as he started going to the other way more early this season. But he simply K's too much and always in big situations. I've been tired of it for a long, long, time. But the mantra around here is "Bruce is still young", blah, blah, blah. They'll be saying that when he's 30 years old.

19. Likes:

KYRedLeg (05-08-2013)

Turn Off Ads?