Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Travis Wood and Mike Leake

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Travis Wood and Mike Leake

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    And again, no one said anything about .300. You tried to put that in my mouth. I was generalizing, not drawing a specific line in the sand and suggesting he will revert back to exactly that.

Even if you draw the line at the ridiculously unlikely .260, you're still a long way from Kansas, Toto. That's still 40 points lower than the most optimistic projection one could conceive for him.
    BABIP
    2010: .261
    2011: .333
    2012: .249
    2013: .222

One season, not in the same stratosphere of the others with a notable reason that we can attribute to a very possible reason for that one to stand out.

I am not drawing a line anywhere other than suggesting that he seems like a guy who can beat the .300 BABIP line that the pitching independent fielding systems want to attribute to him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am framing the debate that Wood has been in his career one of the lowest BABIP pitchers in the game
    Once upon a time that was a description of Corey Lidle too. Then his luck ran out. Wood hasn't pitched that much, certainly not enough to have established himself as some sort of reliable BABIP outlier. That's going to take 1,000+ innings.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Once upon a time that was a description of Corey Lidle too. Then his luck ran out. Wood hasn't pitched that much, certainly not enough to have established himself as some sort of reliable BABIP outlier. That's going to take 1,000+ innings.
    Cory Lidle had a .307 BABIP in his first year. He had a .322 BABIP in his second year (not counting his 99 where he had a handful of innings). In 2001 he was at .262. In 2003 it was .282. In 2003 it was .303.

When it comes to BABIP, I on board with a guy is what he is until he proves he isn't when there is a trend (and there is actually enough data to start suggesting something). Travis Wood, over 2+ full seasons worth of innings on different teams and a different stadium is showing that he isn't like the others. He also brings along a pitch that we know reduces BABIP.

Cory Lidle had a .307 BABIP in his first year. He had a .322 BABIP in his second year (not counting his 99 where he had a handful of innings). In 2001 he was at .262. In 2003 it was .282. In 2003 it was .303.

When it comes to BABIP, I on board with a guy is what he is until he proves he isn't when there is a trend (and there is actually enough data to start suggesting something). Travis Wood, over 2+ full seasons worth of innings on different teams and a different stadium is showing that he isn't like the others. He also brings along a pitch that we know reduces BABIP.
    Travis Wood's BABIP in the minors, in 723 innings, was .290.

Doug, if he had some sort of ability to maintain a historically low BABIP, it would have likely already manifested itself at the lower levels. It didn't.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    This is the key stat on this issue for me.

This year alone, there will be close to 500 different guys who pitched in the majors. And there are only 650 in the last 25 years who pitched at least 500 innings.

That means these stats in BABIP are missing a large majority of the guys who pitched in the majors. THere is good reason, as they didn't produce enough data to be reliable, but that means that we really can't apply what we know to be true for a very select group of pitchers (those who lasted at least 500 innings) to everyone else.

Besides, why can't Wood be part of that 5%? It seems Johnny Cueto is. 5% of all pitchers would be around 20-25 each year. It's not like we're talking about 1 evey decade.
    To be fair, I am not sure anyone is saying it's impossible he is in the outliers. Yet he is not in outlier territory. He is in the never ever sustained in the history of modern baseball territory. He is also an outlier in more than one category. You can see a pitcher in 1 or 2 categories, but right now he is an outlier in 3 stats that say he is very lucky right (LOB, HR/FB, and BABIP). Although I think his LOB% came down a little since his last start and is now in the "great" to "above average" level. Yet for his career his LOB% has been "below average" to "poor."

Now, he can become a better pitcher in the mean time while his luck stats return some to reasonable levels. That is an unknown. Yet the pitcher he is right now says he has been rather lucky.
    Last edited by scott91575; 06-03-2013 at 05:35 AM.

Travis Wood's BABIP in the minors, in 723 innings, was .290.

Doug, if he had some sort of ability to maintain a historically low BABIP, it would have likely already manifested itself at the lower levels. It didn't.
    Care to tell me when he picked up the cut fastball?

I will tell you. It was in 2009, in AA with Tom Brown. His BABIP in the minors from 2009 until he was in the Majors? .243, .269, .287. Then we get to the 2011 season, where he lost all feel for his cutter and his BABIP jumped up at both AAA and the Majors and was nearly .350 between the two stops that season.

From 2009, when he picked up the cutter, he has had a BABIP in the .240-.270 range every year with the exception of 2011 when we know that he lost all feel for his cutter.

Care to tell me when he picked up the cut fastball?

I will tell you. It was in 2009, in AA with Tom Brown. His BABIP in the minors from 2009 until he was in the Majors? .243, .269, .287. Then we get to the 2011 season, where he lost all feel for his cutter and his BABIP jumped up at both AAA and the Majors and was nearly .350 between the two stops that season.

From 2009, when he picked up the cutter, he has had a BABIP in the .240-.270 range every year with the exception of 2011 when we know that he lost all feel for his cutter.
    Not true. He pitched 100 innings in the minors in 2010 and had a .287 BABIP. In 41 innings in the minors last year, he had a .358 BABIP.

It's very convenient to try and explain it away that easily while using the excuse "he lost his feel" in 2011, but yet in the minors in both 2010 and 2012, having the cutter apparently didn't help at all.

What you're left with is no trend at all when considering all those facts.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

According to baseball-reference over the last year, 33 starts Wood has a .250 BABIP.

And it's .222 right now. I don't know if he can keep this up, it SEEMS unlikely, and yet he keeps doing it. He's started 72 games, All in the NL Central for teams with extreme hitters parks in the toughest division in the National League. There is a book on him by now. And yet he keeps the ball in the park, doesn't walk guys and induces weak contact. He'll hit 200 IP this year for the first time, if he stays healthy.

I say he is what he is until the league says otherwise. So far, they really haven't.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I don't believe Wood threw his cutter in the minors? Are we able to see his babip on that pitch only?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I don't believe Wood threw his cutter in the minors? Are we able to see his babip on that pitch only?
    He would have thrown it in the minors in 2010 and 2012, which yielded .287 and .358 BABIP in those 140 innings (two stops) as well as .363 in 2011 in 50 innings.

That's almost 200 innings he threw it in the minors with no evidence of having a low BABIP.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    According to baseball-reference over the last year, 33 starts Wood has a .250 BABIP.

And it's .222 right now. I don't know if he can keep this up, it SEEMS unlikely, and yet he keeps doing it. He's started 72 games, All in the NL Central for teams with extreme hitters parks in the toughest division in the National League. There is a book on him by now. And yet he keeps the ball in the park, doesn't walk guys and induces weak contact. He'll hit 200 IP this year for the first time, if he stays healthy.

I say he is what he is until the league says otherwise. So far, they really haven't.
    Hitter's parks are normally hitter's parks due to home runs, not BABIP rates. There are of course exceptions. Fenway will be a place with a really inflated BABIP due to the green monster. Coors will have inflated BABIP due to it's size, poor breaking balls, etc. Wrigley is slightly above average, and that can be due to the foul territory (or lack there of), the elements, fear of running into a brick wall, and unique shape of the wall in left and right field. GABP is below average. GABP and Wrigley combined would be about average.

His career HR/FB rate is ever so slightly below average (good considering the parks), his BB rate is average (not sure where you are getting the idea he doesn't walk guys), and as far as inducing weak contact his LD% is 21.4% where average is around 20%. He has been better with line drives this year at 18.5%.
    Last edited by scott91575; 06-03-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Not true. He pitched 100 innings in the minors in 2010 and had a .287 BABIP. In 41 innings in the minors last year, he had a .358 BABIP.

It's very convenient to try and explain it away that easily while using the excuse "he lost his feel" in 2011, but yet in the minors in both 2010 and 2012, having the cutter apparently didn't help at all.

What you're left with is no trend at all when considering all those facts.
    Yep. 41 innings. That trumps the rest as a "you got me".

Turn Off Ads?