Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Thread: 5/8/2013 Braves at Reds Business Special

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: 5/8/2013 Braves at Reds Business Special

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Do they even make those anymore? I don't remember the last time I saw one.
    yes -- I buy them by the case for my business --
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Many have said it's too early to be concerned, but I have seen little or no improvement in the way we are playing. Counting spring training, we have been playing baseball for nearly 3 months. I don't think it's too early anymore. When we pitch well (which has been a lot), we don't hit;...when we hit (which has been rare), we don't pitch. We're almost 1/4 into the season, and except for the big 3, (Choo, Votto, Phillips) it seems our hitting has regressed. 3 players can't do it all. If the rest of the players can't get it done, then maybe changes are needed. And you can include the manager and coaches.
    I was kind of undecided on whether the Reds were playing up to par this year, then I read this guy's billion posts on point and I've decided that, yeah, they ought to be doing better.

Thanks.

They call me "chef"

He has also taught me that even when the Reds win it is important to focus on the fact that they could have lost.

5. Likes:

Always Red (02-24-2014),LexRedsFan (08-27-2013),RedlegJake (05-08-2013),Tom Servo (05-08-2013),Wonderful Monds (05-08-2013)

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Many have said it's too early to be concerned, but I have seen little or no improvement in the way we are playing. Counting spring training, we have been playing baseball for nearly 3 months. I don't think it's too early anymore. When we pitch well (which has been a lot), we don't hit;...when we hit (which has been rare), we don't pitch. We're almost 1/4 into the season, and except for the big 3, (Choo, Votto, Phillips) it seems our hitting has regressed. 3 players can't do it all. If the rest of the players can't get it done, then maybe changes are needed. And you can include the manager and coaches.
    Studies have shown that things don't begin to normalize until the 48-50 game mark. So, as far as I'm concerned, it is still early.

Indeed, it is early. How many pennants have been won after the AS break? I betcha lots of them...
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    The 2011 season was due to lack of pitching, which is now a strength. This is a much better overall team than 2011, so probably too early to peg it as a parallel.
    I was more comparing how I feel about watching what is going on and instead of being frustrated.....just not watching it and waiting until about the middle of June to take this seriously. I should know better not to worry until after Memorial Day about what type of team you have.....but these slow starts every year are just confusing to me.

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds 100-Home Run Club
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Adam Dunn - 270
    5. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    6. George Foster - 244
    7. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 210
    8. Eric Davis - 203
    9. Barry Larkin - 198
    10. Vada Pinson - 186
    11. Wally Post - 172
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Lee May - 147
    15. Brandon Phillips - 147
    17. Joey Votto - 137
    18. Jay Bruce - 136
    19. Dan Driessen - 133
    20. Reggie Sanders - 125
    21. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    22. Sean Casey - 118
    23. Frank McCormick - 110
    24. Dave Parker - 107
    25. Chris Sabo - 104
    26. Dave Concepcion - 101
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Ok, I understand pitchers make mistake pitches, it happens. But...when a pitcher makes the same mistake pitch to the same hitter twice in one game, you have to scratch your head. Leake makes the same pitch to Dan Uggla in the same location twice, both for HRs. Dan Uggla has a low BA for a reason, the guy can only hit a fastball belt high over the inner half of the plate. The Reds did a really good job of bringing him out of his season long slump in this series.

11. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (05-10-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    Ok, I understand pitchers make mistake pitches, it happens. But...when a pitcher makes the same mistake pitch to the same hitter twice in one game, you have to scratch your head. Leake makes the same pitch to Dan Uggla in the same location twice, both for HRs. Dan Uggla has a low BA for a reason, the guy can only hit a fastball belt high over the inner half of the plate. The Reds did a really good job of bringing him out of his season long slump in this series.
    It's not like it was on purpose you know. Pitchers miss their spots...all the time.

Turn Off Ads?