Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dusty logic question...

Re: Dusty logic question...

I'm not a big Dusty fan but come on.....we won right? It's not whether Mes should bat for Corky because he was gonna bat for the pitcher anyways, it's do you burn your last bench player to PH for Corky? And there are plus's and negatives to doing that. I'm fine with the decision.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm happy we got lucky too...but let's not make it out like Dusty uses logic in his decisions. He's never outsmarted another manager in MLB and he never will.

4. Likes:

coachpipe (05-08-2013),remdog (05-08-2013),Vottomatic (05-08-2013)

I love how Dusty's logic is questioned in a move that netted a win.

But is it really an instance that needs much exploration?

Who was left on the bench when the inning started?

IIRC Robinson was the only guy left on the bench... he who has 13 HR's in 3339 PA's, Corky has 104 more in 400 more abs in the ML and he has 11 in MLB. Plus Robinson was PH for earlier the night before... for injury??

Anyway... speaking of logic I ponder the logic of the Reds bench, it's weak.. and that's really a Jocketty issue and I wonder myself about the logic in the assembly of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I'm not a big Dusty fan but come on.....we won right? It's not whether Mes should bat for Corky because he was gonna bat for the pitcher anyways, it's do you burn your last bench player to PH for Corky? And there are plus's and negatives to doing that. I'm fine with the decision.
    Hindsight's always 20/20. I like these kind of threads that people will say, "Well, the Reds won but I wonder why Dusty did this." It's first-guessing, not second-guessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

7. Likes:

remdog (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I love how Dusty's logic is questioned in a move that netted a win.

But is it really an instance that needs much exploration?

Who was left on the bench when the inning started?

IIRC Robinson was the only guy left on the bench... he who has 13 HR's in 3339 PA's, Corky has 104 more in 400 more abs in the ML and he has 11 in MLB. Plus Robinson was PH for earlier the night before... for injury??

Anyway... speaking of logic I ponder the logic of the Reds bench, it's weak.. and that's really a Jocketty issue and I wonder myself about the logic in the assembly of it.
    I guess if the team wins, then the fact that it was lucky doesn't matter. Making good decisions regardless of the outcome should be what a manager strives to do. Dusty just hopes to get lucky; nah, he doesn't think that, but his in-game decisions aren't particularly good and if they work out, it has very little to do with his decision and a lot more to do with luck (like back to back 2 out HR's off the best relief pitcher in MLB in the bottom of the 9th). But, I'm also happy we won and happy to see Mes be a big part of it.

9. Likes:

coachpipe (05-08-2013),remdog (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    I guess if the team wins, then the fact that it was lucky doesn't matter. Making good decisions regardless of the outcome should be what a manager strives to do. Dusty just hopes to get lucky; nah, he doesn't think that, but his in-game decisions aren't particularly good and if they work out, it has very little to do with his decision and a lot more to do with luck (like back to back 2 out HR's off the best relief pitcher in MLB in the bottom of the 9th). But, I'm also happy we won and happy to see Mes be a big part of it.
    Agreed it was lucky, but shouldn't power vs a power pitcher take precedent?

And as far as Robinson's availability does anyone have info on that are we just quick to question Dusty's intelligence because he did what he did?

I see more of the later than the former

Agreed it was lucky, but shouldn't power vs a power pitcher take precedent?

And as far as Robinson's availability does anyone have info on that are we just quick to question Dusty's intelligence because he did what he did?

I see more of the later than the former
    I am quick to question Dusty's intelligence in "game" decisions because I see very little intelligence involved. I do agree that this isn't the best example of one of his blunders. I don't understand sending Miller to the plate in the bottom of the 9th in a do or die situation when most of the pitchers are better hitters at this point. I also agree that Miller is really bad and I wonder why we don't have a better 3rd catcher...valid points. Our bench isn't great but a lot of that has to do with putting our money on Ludwick for 2 years, which I thought at the time, and think now, was a poor decision. The Reds have needed a legitimate #4 hitter for years and we still don't have one and we won't have one even if Ludwick recovers to anything that resembles the 2nd half of last season...

I stopped questioning in game day decisions decades ago. Fact is the manager and team is privy to binders full of info on the situation that us fans are not. Plus, they have to make these decisions in real time in a matte of seconds.

A manager makes around a hundred decisions every game, there is bound to be at least one every game that can be second guessed by those who don't have all the information available to them.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I stopped questioning in game day decisions decades ago. Fact is the manager and team is privy to binders full of info on the situation that us fans are not. Plus, they have to make these decisions in real time in a matte of seconds.
    in the ensuing decades, since you stopped, many baseball video games and simulations have been invented that enable armchair managers to test their logic and see it succeed on a screen. Repeat that gameplay enough times and it's easier to fathom how one might start to think that they're better at making those decisions than the guy who their favorite team is paying millions a year to do it for real.
    /r/reds

BTW I have a far bigger problem with the decision to leave Leake in for the 8th inning when his pitch count was nearly 100 already...

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    in the ensuing decades, since you stopped, many baseball video games and simulations have been invented that enable armchair managers to test their logic and see it succeed on a screen. Repeat that gameplay enough times and it's easier to fathom how one might start to think that they're better at making those decisions than the guy who their favorite team is paying millions a year to do it for real.
    They had Strat back then too, it still doesn't give you an informed view of what the real life humans know about players.

It's math when you look at the odds, and baseball when you factor in the humans

16. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (05-08-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

They had Strat back then too, it still doesn't give you an informed view of what the real life humans know about players.

It's math when you look at the odds, and baseball when you factor in the humans
    I appreciate all that the sabre community has brought to the game and the fans, but this aspect is ignored/overlooked far too often IMO.

Turn Off Ads?