Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the Reds consider dealing Chapman for offensive help?

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Should the Reds consider dealing Chapman for offensive help?

In 13 games this season against expected NL contenders STL, WASH and ATL, Chapman has 2 appearances, 2 innings of work.

I know people went back and forth on the whole starter/closer debate, and it's not my intent to get that all worked up again, but it's frustrating to see a $30M arm sit down in the bullpen for an entire series while the offense is woefully inconsistent.

We all love to see Chapman come in and blow people away, but the guy has 15 IP all season. We're 35 games in, and one of our most talented players is rarely on the field.

If the Reds see Chapman as simply a closer, would it not make more sense to make him the crown jewel of a deal that could bring them some much-needed offensive help? Can a small market club afford to have someone like him sitting around instead of playing?

If I'm nuts here, convince me why.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should the Reds consider dealing Chapman for offensive help?

Chapman is still on pace to pitch 70 innings for the season. That is pretty solid usage for a reliever these days- especially a closer.

In terms of offense, look at the schedule the next 3 weeks for the Reds. It gets considerably softer. I expect a nice run for the Reds to occur the rest of May.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    In 13 games this season against expected NL contenders STL, WASH and ATL, Chapman has 2 appearances, 2 innings of work.

I know people went back and forth on the whole starter/closer debate, and it's not my intent to get that all worked up again, but it's frustrating to see a $30M arm sit down in the bullpen for an entire series while the offense is woefully inconsistent.

We all love to see Chapman come in and blow people away, but the guy has 15 IP all season. We're 35 games in, and one of our most talented players is rarely on the field.

If the Reds see Chapman as simply a closer, would it not make more sense to make him the crown jewel of a deal that could bring them some much-needed offensive help? Can a small market club afford to have someone like him sitting around instead of playing?

If I'm nuts here, convince me why.
    The Reds have some pretty good offensive players, could just use some bolstering. Don't need to acquire a major star at the expense of major pitching.

Let's settle for a couple of solid guys who would cost prospects or secondary players. Maybe trade middle relief too.

Would think trading a star like Chapman perhaps goes too far right now.

No

The Reds are 6th in baseball and 2nd in the NL in runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    This teams offensive numbers can be twisted though. You could have just as easily have said that the Reds have scored 2 or fewer runs in 13 of our games this year (which I believe is near tops in the league). We've also scored double digits 5 times, which is probably near the tops.

A simple stat that you provide doesn't really explain the offenses success or failures. We have scored 38% of our runs in 5 games.

8. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-08-2013),redsfandan (05-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    This teams offensive numbers can be twisted though. You could have just as easily have said that the Reds have scored 2 or fewer runs in 13 of our games this year (which I believe is near tops in the league). We've also scored double digits 5 times, which is probably near the tops.

A simple stat that you provide doesn't really explain the offenses success or failures. We have scored 38% of our runs in 5 games.
    True, still the sample is small and trying to get offense by dumping pitching seems a little too robbing Peter to pay Paul 5 weeks into the season

Sure, if we could get Bryce Harper or Mike Trout for him I say go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    By my rough count, they've scored 2 or fewer runs in 15 of 35 games.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Pitching and defense. That's how you win.

I think fans are still in the high-offense mindset of a few years ago. We've got multiple players slumping...the worst thing in the world we can do is to overreact now. This team is built for the long haul and to compete for division titles and championships...let them play.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    By my rough count, they've scored 2 or fewer runs in 15 of 35 games.
    Which means they've scored a lot of runs in all the other games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

14. Likes:

RedEye (05-08-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-08-2013)

I think its a great idea! Trade the pitching that keeps you in games and is the reason you are winning to help the offense when they slump. The Reds have a chance to trade a great arm for a SS, another for a left fielder and another to replace that feckless RF Bruce. When we're done it will be 2006 all over again! All those homers and runs are sure fun....who needs pitching...especially since I read in another thread our starters aren't good enough anyway. What the heck is happening?

16. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I think fans are still in the high-offense mindset of a few years ago.
    Not at all. And, just to clarify, this is not an "OMG the sky is falling!" post.

Completely agree with emphasis on pitching. It's the difference between what we were five years ago (and for the greater part of two lost decades) and what we are now. Great pitching gives you a chance every time you go out there.

I'm not advocating we gut the team's pitching and go back to Bowdenball. You have a rock-solid rotation with or without Chapman. That's not changing. But after watching what happened to them the last two trips to the playoffs and seeing a lot of the same tendencies pop up through the first 35 games this season, I can't see how the offense isn't a valid concern. (Note concern, not panic.)

They have a great commodity in Chapman. Could he bring better value to the club as part of a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    I think its a great idea! Trade the pitching that keeps you in games and is the reason you are winning to help the offense when they slump. The Reds have a chance to trade a great arm for a SS, another for a left fielder and another to replace that feckless RF Bruce. When we're done it will be 2006 all over again! All those homers and runs are sure fun....who needs pitching...especially since I read in another thread our starters aren't good enough anyway. What the heck is happening?
    I think this would be valid if they were trading a starter, but not a reliever.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I wouldn't worry much about those two runs or less games. Reds are only one game behin phythag

Turn Off Ads?