Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds/Marlins Trade Brewing?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds/Marlins Trade Brewing?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    To put Stanton's trade value into perspective:

In 2007, the Marlins traded Miquel Cabrera for a package of prospects that included the #6 and #8 rated prospects in all of baseball (Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller.) These two didn't amount to much for the Marlins, but at the time, they were higher rated and had more trade value than Hamilton and Cingrani or any two Reds prospects have now.

At the time of the trade, Cabrera had off the field problems and was considered out of shape and unmotivated. He was older and closer to free agency than Stanton.

It's going to take better prospects than what the Reds currently have to get Stanton.
    I keep hearing things like that and I just don't buy it. Stanton is a Red tomorrow if the Reds call up and put Hamilton, Stephenson, Winker (PTBNL since he can't be moved yet) and Cingrani on the table.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (05-08-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    There's not a single prospect I wouldn't trade for Stanton.

The toughest one would be Cingrani.
    I would trade the whole cardinals farm system to make him a Red.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

5. Likes:

757690 (05-08-2013),Always Red (05-08-2013),bigredmechanism (05-09-2013),Boss-Hog (05-09-2013),coachpipe (05-09-2013),dougdirt (05-08-2013),kearns and dunn (05-08-2013),mattfeet (05-08-2013),pahster (05-09-2013),RedlegJake (05-09-2013),reds44 (05-08-2013),Revering4Blue (05-09-2013),Spider Tre (05-09-2013),texasdave (05-08-2013),Tom Servo (05-08-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I keep hearing things like that and I just don't buy it. Stanton is a Red tomorrow if the Reds call up and put Hamilton, Stephenson, Winker (PTBNL since he can't be moved yet) and Cingrani on the table.
    Good point. I just think a lot of teams can say the same thing. It's not impossible, but it will be a very intense and expensive bidding war for Stanton when he's made available.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I saw this had 5 pages to it and was really hoping there was something brewing....besides speculation. Then again, we take an article on Choo into 10 pages on trading Bruce, so I guess Im not surprised.

8. Likes:

LexRedsFan (05-08-2013),Red Raindog (05-08-2013),RedlegJake (05-09-2013),redsfandan (05-09-2013)

I would move Hamilton/Stephenson/Corcino/Ondrusek to acquire Stanton, or at least try it.

The last 2 years, look at the prospects we have cashed in:

Yonder
    Grandal
    Boxberger

Wood
    Sappelt
    Torreyes

JC Sulbaran
    D Joseph

Gregorius

Horst

Volquez and Stubbs as well

You can't trade Cingrani, Arroyo is gone after 2013, cannot afford that

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    I saw this had 5 pages to it and was really hoping there was something brewing....besides speculation. Then again, we take an article on Choo into 10 pages on trading Bruce, so I guess Im not surprised.
    Come on, you should know better...lol

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    Come on, you should know better...lol
    I know it.

Benihana hasn't posted in the thread yet. Hopefully he didn't have to be rushed to the hospital after he cracked this baby open.

13. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-08-2013),Benihana (05-08-2013),RadfordVA (05-09-2013),RedEye (05-08-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Dusty's lineup after acquiring Stanton:

CF Choo
    SS Cozart
    1B Votto
    2B Phillips
    RF Bruce
    3B Frazier
    LF Stanton
    C Mez

15. Likes:

CySeymour (05-08-2013),jmac (05-08-2013),Norm Chortleton (05-08-2013),Red Raindog (05-08-2013),RedEye (05-08-2013),Reds/Flyers Fan (05-09-2013),Reds360 (05-08-2013),redsfandan (05-09-2013),toledodan (05-09-2013)

Why wouldn't the Marlins ask for Jay Bruce? Why would they be stuck on only prospects?

Bruce is signed reasonably for awhile. The Marlins have to want to improve their major league team. Hamilton seems unready. Stephenson is a long way away. Winker is in A ball. Corcino has been struggling at AAA.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they would want Bruce and Cingrani for Stanton. They would ask for Bruce, Cingrani, and Stephenson for Stanton, but wouldn't get both pitchers IMO.

I could see the Marlins maybe agreeing to Bruce, Cingrani, and Corcino for Stanton and a minor leaguer.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-08-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Why wouldn't the Marlins ask for Jay Bruce? Why would they be stuck on only prospects?

Bruce is signed reasonably for awhile. The Marlins have to want to improve their major league team. Hamilton seems unready. Stephenson is a long way away. Winker is in A ball. Corcino has been struggling at AAA.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think they would want Bruce and Cingrani for Stanton. They would ask for Bruce, Cingrani, and Stephenson for Stanton, but wouldn't get both pitchers IMO.

I could see the Marlins maybe agreeing to Bruce, Cingrani, and Corcino for Stanton and a minor leaguer.
    Bruce makes 7 figures, that's why.

My guess is they'd want Hamilton and Cingrani.
    Last edited by reds44; 05-08-2013 at 09:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Bruce costs money. Simple as that.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I think you're too close to the situation Kc. Step back. Now realize that we're talking about Florida...logic does not factor into the equation.

20. Likes:

redsfandan (05-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 40YrRedsFan View Post
    Bare, it's non-existent. The Reds front office should be embarrassed by what is in our minor leagues right now. I don't understand how we could have been put in this position when just a couple of years ago when they were boasting how great the minor league system was. We haven't brought up or traded that many prospects. And I am wondering how much was exaggerated regarding the
    quality of the players.
    Ronald Torreyes, Dave Sappelt, Travis Wood, Juan Francisco, Brad Boxberger, Yasmani Grandal, Yonder Alonso, Donnie Joseph, JC Sulbaran, Paul Janish, Chris Valaika and Didi left the system via trade.

Cingrani, Chapman, Frazier, Mesaraco, Cozart, Lutz are with the big club.

Billy Hamilton,Henry Rodriguez, Neftali Soto, Daniel Corcino, Tucker Barnhart, David Vidal and Robert Stephenson are still in the system and there are guys in High A and Low A who could become prospects.

FWIW it took Edwin Encanacion till his age 29 season before he put up a really good year. It seems to me the list has both quality and quantity. Particularly when joined with what was a fairly young team (Votto, Bruce, Hannigan, Cueto, Bailey) to begin with.
    Last edited by dfs; 05-08-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: left off didi
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I think you're too close to the situation Kc. Step back. Now realize that we're talking about Florida...logic does not factor into the equation.
    Just looked at Bruce's contract. He makes more than I thought.

He's a tough sell in a trade. He'll be a Red unless some rich team wants to gamble. Maybe if the Reds take on a big salary in return.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-08-2013 at 09:37 PM.

Turn Off Ads?