Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds/Marlins Trade Brewing?

Re: Reds/Marlins Trade Brewing?

The more that I think about it the more I'd like the Reds to stand pat and try and tread water until we get some of our guys back. Why make a knee jerk reaction and trade away the haul they would have to give up to get Stanton?

It's easy to forget that the Reds are 19 and 16 without aruguably their second best offensive player off of last year's team for the whole season so far. 3 games above .500 with Jay Bruce struggling most of the season at the plate. 3 games from the division lead with Johnny Cueto missing 5 starts now. This team should get better as the season goes on and if they don't then it wasn't meant to be. If they can tread water and get hot in the second half going into the playoffs, everyone will forget the "struggles" of the first half.

I'm not saying I'd be disappointed if they got Stanton or even that they shouldn't do their due dilligence in seeing what it would take. I'm also not saying that the roster can't/shouldn't be tweaked if it can be made better. I'm just saying that where the Reds stand right now is not a terrible place to be.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    Buck is on the mets.
    My bad.
    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. -- Terrance Mann (Field of Dreams)

Ruggiano would be a nice help IMO. Would add depth when Ludwick comes back. I do not think they would move Choo now only to move him back when Ludwick is healthy. Ruggiano would probably be in LF and fit ok in 2 hole. Nice OBP last year but struggling this year. Wouldn't give up any pitching prospects for a 31 year old journeyman though.

Last year a platoon of Paul and Ruggiano would have gotten you an OPS of about .850
    Ruggiano couldn't bat 2nd for the Reds unless he played 2B/SS...

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I like Billy Hamilton, but his upside is balanced out by his enormous cellar if his power-less bat doesn't continue to hold as he continues to move up and face better pitching. There's a reason you don't find many guys in the bigs who don't hit home runs and rely on speed to reach base. For every 1 Ichiro there are 1,000 Wily Taveras or Rey Olmedos.
    You mention Olmedo. The guy only hit what, 2 homers in his whole career? I was in attendance for one of them. If I would have gone to more games...
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

6. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (05-09-2013)

Ruggiano would be a nice help IMO. Would add depth when Ludwick comes back. I do not think they would move Choo now only to move him back when Ludwick is healthy. Ruggiano would probably be in LF and fit ok in 2 hole. Nice OBP last year but struggling this year. Wouldn't give up any pitching prospects for a 31 year old journeyman though.

Last year a platoon of Paul and Ruggiano would have gotten you an OPS of about .850
    But why would the Marlins want to give up Ruggiano for next to nothing? He's a solid above average MLB player, and the Marlins need as many of them as possible. They aren't going to give him away, they are going to want a lot to trade in return for him.

Lol

(Actually, I agree with you, just repeating what was said by many in this board when I suggested the exact same thing about Chris Denorfia.)
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Ozuna, Yelich, and Stanton could be forcing the Marlins to make a move to create playing time.

You never know. Yes I would trade just about anything for Stanton within reason, but I fear that this town would explode if they found out how much he strikes out.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I absolutely believe the Reds have had serious conversations with the Marlins regarding Stanton. But I also believe that at least 10 other teams have serious conversations. And I believe that for every conversation like this that gets reported as a rumor, the Reds have 10x as many other conversations of similar scale that we'll never hear about.

When we hear a rumor like this, we tend to go in on of two directions:
    - Wow. This is awesome. (enter incessant speculation about particulars). But let's be realistic, it's probably only like a 10% chance.
    - BS! Just another case of random speculation with no basis in reality.

I think the more appropriate interpretation is this:
    - Cool. Good to know Walt's checking that out. But let's be realistic, there's less than a 1% chance that anything comes of it and even less of a chance that it's the specific thing we're speculating about. We should just hang tight.
    - And in terms of what kind of transactions will actually happen, it's extremely likely that there will be some other move we haven't heard about or didn't anticipate happening.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

10. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (05-10-2013), Ga_Red (05-10-2013), mbgrayson (05-09-2013), RedlegJake (05-09-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    But why would the Marlins want to give up Ruggiano for next to nothing? He's a solid above average MLB player, and the Marlins need as many of them as possible. They aren't going to give him away, they are going to want a lot to trade in return for him.

Lol

(Actually, I agree with you, just repeating what was said by many in this board when I suggested the exact same thing about Chris Denorfia.)
    Ruggiano is not a "solid above average MLB player", he is the definition of a 5th Outfielder, the Reds are so lacking in that department right now, that Mike Leake is the only reasonable RH bench bat. If he went to a wedding and the players sat at tables with other players of similar value, Justin Ruggiano would be passing rolls to Xavier Paul, and Logan Ondrusek.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Yelich and Ozuna as good as the may be have only played partial seasons in Double A. I'm not saying they wouldn't skip triple a with them, but I don't know there's the squeeze in the OF that some are making it out to be. Rankings are just rankings, but MLB.com doesn't even have Ozuno in it's top 100.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Ruggiano is not a "solid above average MLB player", he is the definition of a 5th Outfielder, the Reds are so lacking in that department right now, that Mike Leake is the only reasonable RH bench bat. If he went to a wedding and the players sat at tables with other players of similar value, Justin Ruggiano would be passing rolls to Xavier Paul, and Logan Ondrusek.
    I don't know much about Ruggiano, but I did want to comment on the Mike Leake point you make. I almost began a thread about it yesterday, but didn't.

Dusty said after yesterday's game that he let Leake hit late because he was a better alternative than the righty hitters on his bench.

Amazing statement for a manager to make. I applaud Dusty's candor, not sure his bench players do, but he simply confirmed my own view of the Reds' offensive depth.

But more to the point, it shows that the manager himself is dissatisfied with his hitting depth, which may give us a clue that the Reds are indeed looking for a new player or two.

They can sit still until injuries heal, but Hanigan will only provide so much, Heisey doesn't hit much. And Ludwick will be out for quite some time to come.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-09-2013 at 03:35 PM.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar
    I don't see Ruggiano as an upgrade. Unless we are talking about Stanton, I pass on talking with the Fish now.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Abbott: Strange as it may seem...
    Personally, I find it mildly depressing if someone has to post "who's on first" on a baseball forum. Not pointing you out Vottomatic, just that not everyone got it right away...that's the sad part. :O)

Next people will have to quote the whole Simon & Garfunkel lyrics just to explain the "where have you gone Joe DiMaggio" reference.

Kids these days! Sheesh! *grin*
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Personally, I find it mildly depressing if someone has to post "who's on first" on a baseball forum. Not pointing you out Vottomatic, just that not everyone got it right away...that's the sad part. :O)

Next people will have to quote the whole Simon & Garfunkel lyrics just to explain the "where have you gone Joe DiMaggio" reference.

Kids these days! Sheesh! *grin*
    Put me in coach. I'm ready to play...
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    Chris Denorfia was traded away when he was on the DL

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2851675
    That was back in '07 though, I thought they changed the rules on that? Anybody know for sure? Not that it really matters in this instance since I don't think this is really happening, just curious though.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Put me in coach. I'm ready to play...
    Overlooked one, my bad. Casey up next? :O)

Turn Off Ads?