Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Reds/Marlins Trade Brewing?

Re: Reds/Marlins Trade Brewing?

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Ruggiano is not a "solid above average MLB player", he is the definition of a 5th Outfielder, the Reds are so lacking in that department right now, that Mike Leake is the only reasonable RH bench bat. If he went to a wedding and the players sat at tables with other players of similar value, Justin Ruggiano would be passing rolls to Xavier Paul, and Logan Ondrusek.
    He is almost exactly an above average MLB player right now. OPS+ of 146 last year and 106 this season. Even though he has struggled some this season that would make him 4th best hitter on Reds this season. You would have to think hitting in Reds lineup over Marlins would help too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    That was back in '07 though, I thought they changed the rules on that? Anybody know for sure? Not that it really matters in this instance since I don't think this is really happening, just curious though.
    BTW...as already mentioned, Carl Crawford was dealt last year while on the DL.
    Last edited by scott91575; 05-09-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Dusty said after yesterday's game that he let Leake hit late because he was a better alternative than the righty hitters on his bench.

Amazing statement for a manager to make. I applaud Dusty's candor, not sure his bench players do, but he simply confirmed my own view of the Reds' offensive depth.

But more to the point, it shows that the manager himself is dissatisfied with his hitting depth, which may give us a clue that the Reds are indeed looking for a new player or two.
    Dusty got so desperate that he actually used Mez as a pinch hitter in game 2 of the Braves series (I think that was the game we came back).
    I remember trying to give Dusty a high five through the TV.
    I would like to see more of that, especially when Hannnigan returns.

After the 7th inning, use Hannigan/Mez as a RH pinch hitter if need be.
    Maybe once in the season it might bite us (not likely) by not saving the 2nd catcher.
    However, this bench is so RH poor now, I think it is a good idea.

Back to the main topic, if the Reds can pick up a decent RH 4th OF now cheaply, it would not be the craziest thing to do. Probably never happens though, because I doubt the Reds would want to go down to 11 pitchers when Ludwick and Heisey come back..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post

Back to the main topic, if the Reds can pick up a decent RH 4th OF now cheaply, it would not be the craziest thing to do. Probably never happens though, because I doubt the Reds would want to go down to 11 pitchers when Ludwick and Heisey come back..
    I think there are many ways of adding a good bat and still keeping 12 pitchers.

Depends, of course, on who departs in any trade. But with sensible roster management it can easily be achieved. In the short run, Reds could add two bats.

Ludwick isn't a factor, he's out for quite a while going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    You never know. Yes I would trade just about anything for Stanton within reason, but I fear that this town would explode if they found out how much he strikes out.
    The Brennamans might just lead a riot if the Reds were to trade a speedster (Hamilton) for a guy who strikes out and hits "overrated" home runs.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    The Brennamans might just lead a riot if the Reds were to trade a speedster (Hamilton) for a guy who strikes out and hits "overrated" home runs.
    Someone need to tell them than that Billy K'd over 100 times each of the last two years. Would you rather have a Judy striking out that much, or someone who can drive the ball, all things being equal (ie not making outs)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think there are many ways of adding a good bat and still keeping 12 pitchers.

Depends, of course, on who departs in any trade. But with sensible roster management it can easily be achieved. In the short run, Reds could add two bats.

Ludwick isn't a factor, he's out for quite a while going forward.
    Yea, that's a good point.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Someone need to tell them than that Billy K'd over 100 times each of the last two years. Would you rather have a Judy striking out that much, or someone who can drive the ball, all things being equal (ie not making outs)?
    Need more info, like do they sprint to and from their positions in the field?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

A new rumor has popped up. It says that the Reds trading for Stanton is all a smoke screen. Walt is going to surprise everyone and acquire Adam Dunn and stick him back in LF and let him bat cleanup.

Every time these Stanton threads/rumors make an appearance, I get nostalgic for the day that George Foster (#15) was traded to the Reds.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Every time these Stanton threads/rumors make an appearance, I get nostalgic for the day that George Foster (#15) was traded to the Reds.

Rem
    If ony we could add a new George Foster, ahhhhhhh, I fondly recall the days of "black death" with the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post

Rem
    or the day of the Greg Vaughn trade

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-10-2013),Boss-Hog (05-09-2013),remdog (05-09-2013),Revering4Blue (05-09-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

What other targets?

Looking at last place teams..........Alex Rios is finally living up to his billing - .274, 8 HR's, .343 OBP, . 851 OPS, 6 SB. He makes $12.5M in 2013. If traded his 2014 salary increase $.5M to $13M. Team option for 2015 or $1M buyout. RH cleanup hitter.

Already mentioned.........Toronto.........Jose Bautista - .230, 7 HR's, .352 OBP, .852 OPS. RH cleanup hitter. $14M each season through 2015. Team option for $14M in 2016 or free agent.

Second hitter...........San Diego.........Chris Denorfia - .288, 2 HR's, .357 OBP. RH hitter.

Second hitter..............LAA.........Peter Bourjos - .313, .370 OBP, .827 OPS......plays good CF, has speed, gets on base. Move Choo to LF. Bourjos begins arbitration next season, and is a FA in 2017. Angels can play Trout in CF and move Trumbo out of the DH role. Trade them Neftali Soto and a pitching prospect. Soto can spell Pujols at 1B and let Pujols DH. Or Soto can DH. RH hitter.

Just some other ideas.

I think the Reds should trade for Mike Trout.

I like Stanton/Baustita/Trumbo/Willingham as guys that could help. Heck if the Angels would take Bailey for Trumbo in a deal i would do that 1st

Turn Off Ads?