Turn Off Ads?

Thread: choking up to make contact...

Threaded View

Re: choking up to make contact...

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Its because choking up on the bat doesn't actually make you more likely to make contact.
    http://www.thesportjournal.org/artic...velocity-and-b

In summary and most importantly, the results of this study suggest that choking up for greater bat control may increase the hitter’s confidence and execution knowing that is able to wait longer for the incoming pitch because he is quicker to the ball, and he is as accurate as his normal grip swing.
    Conclusions
    In conclusion, although time was not significantly different in the acceleration phase between normal and choke-up grips, the total time of the swing (from stride initiation to bat-ball contact) was significantly less with the choke-up grip, which supports the belief of many coaches and players that using a bat controlled choke-up grip results in a “quicker” overall swing. This “quicker bat" implies that with the bat controlled choke-up grip, a hitter can wait longer in order to determine how to handle the incoming pitch. In addition, because linear bat velocity was significantly less in the choke-up grip compared to the normal grip, there may be less momentum with the choke-up grip because of the differences in mass distribution of the bat with choking up, which may result in decreased ball flight distance after impact. A decreased flight distance (power) may not be so negative, since the hitter’s main goal is more solid contact accuracies.
    Take what you want from all of this. It kind of argues both sides. All I need to know is, when good bunters stop moving their hands toward the end of the bat, I'll believe it doesn't increase bat head control. When professional golfers stop moving their hands down the shaft for more precision on delicate pitch/chip shots, I'll believe it doesn't increase club face control. When middle infielders stop using small gloves and start using outfielders gloves then I'll believe that having things closer to your hands doesn't increase your control of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    It is the same reason players don't use two hands to catch a fly ball anymore -- it doesn't actually help. If it worked teams would use it, but it doesn't so they don't. Its a fallacy.
    I'm not buying this either. Pros don't use two hands b/c they are pros and they like to "big league" and look cool. Whatever, that's fine. They are
    Big Leaguers.

When moving laterally and reaching across your body, then yes, using one hand is better since you can reach further than with two.

On a routine fly ball, while two hands may not help you, it does make it more likely you'll attempt to catch the ball above you head and in the fundamentally proper position. As opposed to off the side and below your eye line. It also gives a player a better chance at recovering before the ball hits the ground should the ball miss the pocket and squirt/spin out of his glove.

It happens from time to time when a guy show boats a little too much and misses a play he should have made. It cracks me up every time.
    Last edited by TSJ55; 05-11-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

2. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (05-11-2013)

Turn Off Ads?