Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 5/17

Birthdays: 5/17

Reds:

Nick Masset (30) -So why do I keep thinking of him as a young pitcher?

Others:

Jeremy Sowers (29) -After all the kerfuffle about us not signing him, here it turns out he really couldn't pitch at all...

Pascual Perez (55) -Known for being a bit of a flake... Both he and his brother Melido pitched rain-shortened no-hitters.

Carlos May (64) -Lee May's little brother, but never as far as I know called the "Little Bopper"...Accidentally blew most of his thumb off with a mortar while in the Army, but it didn't hinder his career...Wore number 17 for most of his career, so he had his birthday, "May 17" on the back of his jersey...After his playing days he worked in the Chicago post office.

Billy Hoeft -Tall lefty who pitched mostly with the Tigers in the mid-1950s...Had a 20-win season in 1956, but is remembered now (if at all) for striking out the side on nine pitches once, and for surrendering Harmon Killebrew's first homer.

Hal Carlson -Pitched 15 years in the majors...In 1930 he was scheduled to pitch, but the game was rained out. He went back to his hotel and passed away unexpectedly the next morning.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 5/17

Perez acquired the nickname, I-295, while with the Braves. One day before a scheduled start he got lost on the Atlanta beltway and drove around it for a couple of hours before finding his was to the ballpark. IIRC, he missed his start but all was laughed off after the story was told.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    to many of us Chico...that IS young.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Adding Ozzie Virgil, Sr. (81) - First Dominican to play Major League baseball. Also, on June 6, 1958 he became the first non-white player to play for the Detroit Tigers.

By the way, as a piece of trivia, I feel sure he was known as 'Ossie' Virgil in the early years of his career (his given first name is Osvaldo). Got tired of constantly correcting folks, I suppose, so he just went with the flow.

[QUOTE=chicoruiz;2597730]Reds:

Frankly, it's hard to keep thinking of him as a Reds' pitcher

Turn Off Ads?