Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: They Were Reds: A Tribute

Re: They Were Reds: A Tribute

Remembered/know every guy on the list but Russ Springer and his whole 1 2/3 of an inning as a Cincinnati Red. Yikes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Also seeing some of those guys in the current uniform makes me realize something:

I still feel like the current unis are "new", they still seem fresh and all that, but the Reds have been wearing those uniforms for kind of a while now. Might be getting close to time for another uniform update?

Good stuff. It really makes you appreciate what the Reds have now. How bad were most of those guys?!? They belong in the Hall of Dreckitude.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Smitherman is a type I diabetic, IIRC. Someone to root for.

Aaron Holbert also came to mind for some strange reason.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Smitherman is a type I diabetic, IIRC. Someone to root for.

Aaron Holbert also came to mind for some strange reason.
    Holbert's there. About half way down the list.

Luke Hudson is someone I thought of. He did have a little bit of success with the Reds. Just a little bit though.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    In that same game Drew Sutton pinch hit. I think the OP missed him.
    My original draft of this post was massive, so some guys didn't make the cut, in some instances because I simply didn't have anything clever or informative to say about them. Drew Sutton, Danny Richar, Ramon Ramirez, Pedro Viola, Chad Reineke, Allan Simpson, Chris Booker, and several others fell into that category.

Oh and non-prospect prospects William Bergolla and Miguel Perez.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Ryan Jorgenson created a splash around here (I think he may have actually made a few posts?), after this forum directly linked him to to his Myspace page where he bragged about steroid use.[/QUOTE]

My main memory of Jorgenson was when he was with L-ville, they were playing in Durham and he was trying soooooo hard to throw game at the Bud Light stand girl. He had a kid sitting by me take her a baseball he had wrote his number on in exchange for a Homer Bailey signed ball. Fans gave him a hard time and he gave it back, had a blast that game watching this all go back and forth. He got into it with an older fan who was heckling him about it all, asking the guy why he was trying to * block him.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

You'd think picking up a Jolbert and a Holbert would be hedging your bets.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

The Lizard

I brought him up the other day to my boys, who did not remember the straightest fastball ever thrown. He pitched for the Phillies at 21, so he had to be good right? Wrong!

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play..._autograph.jpg

How about that last go around in Texas? 30.38 ERA 9 runs in 2-2/3

He must also be illiterate by the looks of that autograph.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I thought Chris Booker was gonna be really good - his K/9inning rate was great - usually 12/9inning....but he was a little on the wild side. With just a little luck -he coulda stuck.

He had a really good season in 2005, but in 2006 he pitches for 7 teams and his record is so dis-jointed it's hard to know if he pitched well or not. You gotta go searching and piece things together- i think that makes an impact on how he is perceived.

Looking up Brandon Watson on baseball reference had an interesting line. Only one game with Reds. No at-bats but one stolen base. Best stolen base percentage in history of the Reds. Tied of course.

If you blinked back in 2003, you would have missed Jim Chamblee

...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post

The Lizard

I brought him up the other day to my boys, who did not remember the straightest fastball ever thrown. He pitched for the Phillies at 21, so he had to be good right? Wrong!

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play..._autograph.jpg

How about that last go around in Texas? 30.38 ERA 9 runs in 2-2/3

He must also be illiterate by the looks of that autograph.
    I might be wrong, but I thought he was pitching decently for the Reds, but then he tripped down the dugout stairs and hurt something...and then sucked forever after. Am I misremembering?

Chad Moeller...wasn't he the last player to hit for the cycle at GABP, though as a member of the Brewers?

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    If you blinked back in 2003, you would have missed Jim Chamblee

I wonder if the caterpillars over his eyes turned into butterflies by now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?