Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: They Were Reds: A Tribute

They Were Reds: A Tribute

All sports teams use up and discard players fairly quickly, but this is a tribute to the guys since the year 2000 (I'm 23, so that's pretty much my wheelhouse) who only had a cup of coffee to two with the Reds and made no real lasting impression as a Cincinnati Red, good or bad. They are levels below the Jeff Austin's, Reggie Taylor's, Kirk Saarloos', and Royce Clayton's of the Reds world. I'm mostly going to stick to position players (otherwise we'd be here ALL day recounting the guys the Reds sent out to the hill during the lost decade) but there will be some pitchers sprinkled in as well. And yes, with the Reds having had an off day today, I was THIS bored.

D.T. Cromer - Had a brother named Roy Bunyan "Tripp" Cromer III. This is not a joke.

Donnie Sadler - professional pinch runner and occasional baseball player

Robin Jennings - he of the 7 RBI game against the Pirates in 2001

Bill Selby - 2 HR's in 2001

Stephen Smitherman - Which is worse, the name or the facial hair?

Eric Valent - did nothing of note for the Reds in 03, but had a decent 04 with the Mets.

Darren Bragg - The 10 year vet finished his career by hitting .191 with the Reds in 2004.

Anderson Machado - Who needed Barry Larkin after 2004 when you had THE Anderson Machado?

Jason Romano - not going to Japan

Aaron Myette - He really was a better pitcher than his 8.31 ERA in 2004 indicated; he was actually a 8.16 ERA pitcher for his career.

Jermaine Clark - a .379 OPS with the Reds in 2004

Luis Lopez - Having made his MLB debut in 1993, 2005 and his 27 Reds AB's was the end of the line for Lopez.

Dane Sardinha - This 2nd round pick is our catcher of the future...for 5 PA's over 3 years.

Ben Weber - Part of the 2002 World Series Angels team, Weber did not perform the way DanO's binder hoped.

Aaron Holbert- A minor league lifer outside of a cup of coffee with St. Louis in 1996 and the Reds in 2005, Holbert is currently the manager of the Braves AA affiliate.

Joe Valentine - Somehow stuck around for part of 3 seasons despite a 6.70 ERA and looking like he has a taste for human blood.

Andy Abad - Maybe if he were Andy Agood he would have gotten more than 5 plate appearances with the Reds in 2006.

Jason Standridge - Doing well in Japan.

Todd Hollandsworth - The 1996 Rookie of the Year finished his career with the Reds.

Esteban Yan - The 6 fingered sensation finished his career with 14 appearances for the Reds in 2006.

Rheal Cormier - Mortal enemy to Jerry Narron in the most boring feud ever.

Sun-Woo Kim - Started 1 game for the Reds

Chris Michalak - ...2006 was a weird season.

Mike Gosling - A real hero. Real human being.

Chad Moeller - Actually got a major league contract with the Reds due to Wayne Krivsky's bizarre 3 catcher fetish.

Ryan Jorgensen - The Keymastur!!

Norris Hopper - an improbable, bunt driven 2007 fooled many into thinking NoHo would stick in the big leagues.

Jorge Cantu - I was a fan.

Jason Ellison - Stellar .188 batting average with the 07 Reds.

Mark Bellhorn - The starting 2B for the notable 2004 Red Sox ended his career with a whimper for the Redlegs in 2007.

Brad Salmon - We spent a lot of time talking about this guy (and the Reds decision to let him go) with little to show for it.

Jon Coutlangus - Oh the jokes just wrote themselves.

Andy Phillips - Could do nothing at almost every position.

Justin Lehr - Servicable #5 who's biggest contribution was helping Homer and the younger pitchers.

Wladimir Balentien - He's big in Japan.

Kevin Barker - Cleanup hitter for your 2009 Reds.

Russ Springer - An 18 year vet who couldn't stay healthy to contribute in the pennant race in 2010.

Jim Edmonds - ...the less said about this, the better.

Willie Bloomquist - I think he was acquired with like 15 games left in the season or so, very forgettable.

Jeremy Hermida - The former Marlins prospect did not turn it around with us.

Fred Lewis: Seemingly lost his talent after putting on a Reds uniform, sadly, but not as memorably bad as a Patterson/Taveras.

Mike Costanzo - Can't stand ya!

honorable mention:
    Jim Chamblee
    Mark Budzinski
    Kenny Kelly
    Brandon Watson
    Buck Coats
    Pedro Lopez
    Jolbert Cabrera
    Craig Tatum

Any favorites?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

757690 (05-09-2013),Always Red (05-09-2013),Chip R (05-10-2013),CySeymour (05-09-2013),Danny Serafini (05-10-2013),edabbs44 (05-09-2013),Farney (05-09-2013),Gainesville Red (05-10-2013),gilpdawg (05-10-2013),HeatherC1212 (05-10-2013),Jones1 (05-10-2013),LexRedsFan (05-09-2013),MilotheMayor (05-10-2013),New York Red (05-11-2013),Norm Chortleton (05-10-2013),Number_Fourteen (05-10-2013),OesterPoster (05-10-2013),PedroBourbon (05-11-2013),RedlegJake (05-09-2013),reds44 (05-11-2013),remdog (05-10-2013),Revering4Blue (05-09-2013),RichRed (05-09-2013),Roy Tucker (05-09-2013),Sabo Fan (05-10-2013),savafan (05-11-2013),texasdave (05-09-2013),ThatsAStrike (05-09-2013),TheBigLebowski (05-11-2013),TRF (05-10-2013),wally post (05-09-2013),WildcatFan (05-09-2013),wolfboy (05-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: They Were Reds: A Tribute

Man, I had managed to forget Jim Edmonds...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

You did a great job with this list. Being around the same age, I can relate a lot to this.

The only player I have absolutely no recollection of is Sun-Woo Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Man, I had managed to forget Jim Edmonds...
    Yeah, even though it wasn't long ago that he was with the Reds, I always have a "Did that really happen?" moment whenever I see Edmonds in a Reds uniform.

And I have ZERO recollection of Robin Jennings. Sounds like the name of a female news anchor.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

From the I was dead wrong archive:

At the time of the Jose Guillen to the A's deal in 2003, I truly believed that Joe Valentine, not Aaron Harang, was the key to the deal for the Reds.

Looking back, all I can do is about it.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

And I have ZERO recollection of Robin Jennings. Sounds like the name of a female news anchor.
    IIRC, Jennings arrived from Colorado with Todd Walker in the 2001 Ochoa deal. Now that you mentioned it, It does sound like the name of a female news anchor or sideline reporter.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Cromer was actually a pretty darn good pinch hitter for a few years IIRC. Wasn't Smitherman minor leaguer of the year once? How's that for no hope?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I see that Baseball Reference corroborates your "Kevin Barker" story, but I still hold that it's made up. That can't be real.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Worth The Wait

Here is what I remember about a few of those guys:

All of this could be totally false, but for whatever reason this is what my brain remembers:

--Donnie Sadler scored from second base on a sac fly in the Randy Johnson 20 K game

--Joe Valentine was raised by a lesbian couple

--I thought Antonio Alfonseca was the dude with six fingers. Yan was just the guy with five fingers that couldn't pitch

--I have zero recollection of Jason Ellison; I think you are making that one up--- good use of photoshop though.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I see that Baseball Reference corroborates your "Kevin Barker" story, but I still hold that it's made up. That can't be real.
    In that same game Drew Sutton pinch hit. I think the OP missed him.

And I'm not sure if Dernell Stenson counts or not, since he seemed to have a ML future.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Jon Coutlangus - most guys weren't big fans. He seemed to be a hit with the ladies, though.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

14. Likes:

New York Red (05-11-2013),remdog (05-10-2013),Tom Servo (05-10-2013),WildcatFan (05-10-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post

--Donnie Sadler scored from second base on a sac fly in the Randy Johnson 20 K game
    My favorite Donnie Sadler moment was when he injured Dmitri in a collision in left field.

If I remember correctly, Joe Valentine had some nasty stuff but simply dreadful control.

Ryan Jorgenson created a splash around here (I think he may have actually made a few posts?), after this forum directly linked him to to his Myspace page where he bragged about steroid use.

Whoa! Totally fun post! Thanks, Tom!
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

great post. luis lopez would be a dusty baker kind of guy lol.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

18. Likes:

remdog (05-10-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I remembered all of these guys when I saw them, except for the fact that Mark Bellhorn was ever a Red, or Kevin Barker.

Andy Abad actually made the team out of spring training that year. Also, I thought Coutlangus had a chance to be a good reliever. OOPS.

Turn Off Ads?