Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: They Were Reds: A Tribute

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: They Were Reds: A Tribute

It's funny how we can malign marginal players while every one of them has managed to do something the rest of us weren't good enough to do, and that's actually play in the Major Leagues. That really shows how much of a talent gap there is between anyone on a MLB roster and the rest of the population.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (05-11-2013),Revering4Blue (05-11-2013),WrongVerb (05-11-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-11-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Anyone mention Dennis Rasmussen? I remember attending a game with my mother in either '87 or '88 that he pitched. They had the pitching matchup on the scoreboard and he was coming into the game with something like a 9 era. My mom said she didn't like our chances of seeing a win and I'll be darned if he didn't pitch a shutout.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

With respect to Donnie Sadler - In 2000, he was a member of the Red Sox when his teammate Troy O'Leary mysteriously went on the disabled list with the injury of "divorce." The prevailing rumor was that the divorce was spawned by his wife Annette's affair with teammate Sadler. Epilogue - what is confirmed is that Annette O'Leary would be fired from her job as at an elementary school in 2009 for moonlighting as a call girl.

25-year-old Cody Ross was given up by the Reds for basically nothing at a time when he would have been plenty useful to the Reds. Heck, he'd still be a better option in left field than what we've run out there this year. The following year, in more than 200 major league plate appearances, he put up a slash line of .335/.411/.653, and has since has had a very respectable career as a decent 3rd outfielder and outstanding 4th outfielder.

This transaction will not be listed on Wayne Krivsky's curriculum vitae.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    25-year-old Cody Ross was given up by the Reds for basically nothing at a time when he would have been plenty useful to the Reds. Heck, he'd still be a better option in left field than what we've run out there this year. The following year, in more than 200 major league plate appearances, he put up a slash line of .335/.411/.653, and has since has had a very respectable career as a decent 3rd outfielder and outstanding 4th outfielder.

This transaction will not be listed on Wayne Krivsky's curriculum vitae.
    Plus we had room for a 4th outfielder at the time when Ross was dealt behind Dunn, Kearns, and Griffey, only Krivsky decided to keep another guy over Ross. That guy?

35 year old Quinton McCracken
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    It's funny how we can malign marginal players while every one of them has managed to do something the rest of us weren't good enough to do, and that's actually play in the Major Leagues. That really shows how much of a talent gap there is between anyone on a MLB roster and the rest of the population.
    It's sad how easily this is forgotten by fans. Stunning actually.

Anyone mention Dennis Rasmussen? I remember attending a game with my mother in either '87 or '88 that he pitched. They had the pitching matchup on the scoreboard and he was coming into the game with something like a 9 era. My mom said she didn't like our chances of seeing a win and I'll be darned if he didn't pitch a shutout.
    Hated that guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Reds got Rasmussen in a bizarre deadline deal.

Reds needed starting pitching, so Bill Bergesch worked out a trade of reliever Ted Power for Rasmussen. Turns out Ted Power was Marge's favorite Red, so she demanded that they trade one of their better starting pitchers, Bill Gullickson for Rasmussen instead.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I might be wrong, but I thought he was pitching decently for the Reds, but then he tripped down the dugout stairs and hurt something...and then sucked forever after. Am I misremembering?
    I was a big Lizard fan hahaha. I saw him pitch a great game in Houston.

I remember a long extra inning game in Philly and Jerry Narron brought him in late in that one and then started him the next night. That was pretty much the end of Elizardo.

I was disappointed William Bergolla didn't make the cut. Awesome thread, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Mo Sanford - I was a little kid when he came up and I just thought he was going to be incredible.

Marc Kroon - same as above.

Ron Robinson - he started the first game I ever saw in Riverfront. I think I was 6. Lo and behold, we happened to be sitting right next to his brother, who looked exactly like him. He was very nice. Had a 1985 Topps card of Ron's on his person that was autographed and he gave it to me - still have it to this day.

Tim Birtsas. The quintessential huge, soft-tossing lefty. One of my all-time faves.

Just a few who weren't mentioned that popped into my head. Fun topic.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Great post!

I think that when we watch a movie we suspend some disbelief and allow ourselves to believe the world we are seeing on the screen. With all due respect to those who talk about how easy it is for us to malign marginal players, it comes back to the acceptance that they are head and shoulders more talented than most of us, so that becomes the basis of our critique. Its accepted even if not always respected.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

14. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-11-2013)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

I don't think we're maligning the players so much as the decision makers who brought them onto the roster.

That said, I find it more interesting that there are SO many marginal players, and the gap between them and players who carve out decent careers has to be incredibly small. I wonder what it is that elevates one player just that tiny little bit over another.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Smitherman is a type I diabetic, IIRC. Someone to root for.

Aaron Holbert also came to mind for some strange reason.
    Any young man that can cope with a horrific 24 hour disease as is T1 diabetes deserves praise from all of us for reaching the bigs.

Dernell Stenson will always be my fabourite.

He had some hitting talent and made his one September with the Reds watchable for me because I thought he had a chance to be a serviceable hitter, and found him fun to watch.

Was so choked to find out what happened to him. One of the saddest stories out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Ron Robinson - he started the first game I ever saw in Riverfront. I think I was 6. Lo and behold, we happened to be sitting right next to his brother, who looked exactly like him. He was very nice. Had a 1985 Topps card of Ron's on his person that was autographed and he gave it to me - still have it to this day.
    No need to insult the guy
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Turn Off Ads?