Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: They Were Reds: A Tribute

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: They Were Reds: A Tribute

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Reds got Rasmussen in a bizarre deadline deal.

Reds needed starting pitching, so Bill Bergesch worked out a trade of reliever Ted Power for Rasmussen. Turns out Ted Power was Marge's favorite Red, so she demanded that they trade one of their better starting pitchers, Bill Gullickson for Rasmussen instead.
    Power started 34 games for the Reds in 87, but wasn't pitching as well as Gullickson, who, himself, wasn't pitching as well as he had pitched in 1986.

Looking back, even though the trade hurt the Reds starting pitching depth, Rasmussen, as a Red in 1987, actually out pitched Gullickson that year.

The problem was Rasmussen's ineffectiveness in 1988, which led to the trade with the Padres for Candy Sierra -- not one of Murray Cook's better moves, as Rasmussen pitched well for the Padres for 2.5 seasons.

Power, along with Stillwell, netted the Reds Danny Jackson, which we can all agree was a great move on the part of Murray Cook.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Found the Rasmussen shutout game I was at. All I really remember was my mom remarking about his high ERA, but this was early in the season. I also remember Larkin hitting a first inning homer and the Reds winning rather easily. It turns out it wasn't too hard to find since he pitched so few complete games in his career.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98804190.shtml
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Found the Rasmussen shutout game I was at. All I really remember was my mom remarking about his high ERA, but this was early in the season. I also remember Larkin hitting a first inning homer and the Reds winning rather easily. It turns out it wasn't too hard to find since he pitched so few complete games in his career.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...98804190.shtml
    I found it interesting that two former Reds pitched for the Giants in that game: Mike LaCoss started and Joe Price relieved.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

The animal (and Nolan Ryan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAaCCaQ6tvg

6. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (05-17-2013)

Turn Off Ads?