Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    55

    I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    thinking outside the box on this one..something that may be so different or orthodox it may work..Move Leake to Shortstop, he played infield in college, he's athletic, quick and hits better than Cozart. Boom there's your number 2 right hand hitter

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,674

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    out of the box. Fun to think BUT is he really a better hitter...exposed full time? And he must be a super super athlete in your mind to simply step into a ML SS role. Fun but dumb idea.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Elma, Wa
    Posts
    64

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    Leake is a damn fine hitter, for a pitcher. But in addition to what RedlegJake said, do you really think Leake would be able to even come close to Cozart's defense at short? No way.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kettering
    Posts
    832

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    A move Leake to SS thread? Must have been an off-day. lol

  6. Likes:

    CySeymour (05-10-2013)

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    55

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    this is baseball..some of these players were drafted and played multiple positions in college. Phillips was a shortstop, Choo was a pitcher at one point, this team isn't going anywhere this year, and the money situation isn't helping out either. The offensive struggles of this team,you can realate it to the 2 hole hitter. You get offense out of that spot you going to score runs if not its going to be a struggle.

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    55

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    Why all of a sudden this team needs Ludwick? You have three spots in the lineup batting batting below their body weight. What if the cardinals thought like the reds and said Ankiel you can't pitch so we have to let you go.

  9. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Elma, Wa
    Posts
    64

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    Quote Originally Posted by DWS1125 View Post
    this is baseball..some of these players were drafted and played multiple positions in college. Phillips was a shortstop, Choo was a pitcher at one point, this team isn't going anywhere this year, and the money situation isn't helping out either. The offensive struggles of this team,you can realate it to the 2 hole hitter. You get offense out of that spot you going to score runs if not its going to be a struggle.
    This team isn't going anywhere? Really? The Cardinals have gotten unsubstainable awesome performance from their entire rotation, and we've not had our Ace and left fielder for basically the entire season so far, and we're getting subpar performances from Bruce,Frazier, and Cozart. And despite all that we're still in 2nd place and just 3 games back.

    How can you seriously think that this team doesn't have a damn good chance of making the playoffs this season?

  10. #8
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,700

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    Quote Originally Posted by Goose1701 View Post
    This team isn't going anywhere? Really? The Cardinals have gotten unsubstainable awesome performance from their entire rotation, and we've not had our Ace and left fielder for basically the entire season so far, and we're getting subpar performances from Bruce,Frazier, and Cozart. And despite all that we're still in 2nd place and just 3 games back.

    How can you seriously think that this team doesn't have a damn good chance of making the playoffs this season?
    Goose. I totally agree with you. This team is underperforming right now but by no means is out of it or going nowhere. Three games out at this point in the year is practically nothing. With the players the reds have right now, they could make the playoffs. Sure I think they could use a piece to make a deep run but they are as of right now most definitely not going nowhere.

  11. Likes:

    CySeymour (05-10-2013)

  12. #9
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,700

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    And it isn't like leake is a bad pitcher. An era in the low 4 area is solid for a fifth starter, especially in great american. We have a loaded staff. Ankiel couldn't find the plate to save his life. So he had no choice but to move if he wanted to stay in baseball. There are plenty of teams that'd take leake in a heartbeat and he could easily be their third starter especially in a more pitcher friendly park.
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-10-2013 at 10:26 AM.

  13. #10
    .377 in 1905 CySeymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Carmel, IN
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    Quote Originally Posted by Goose1701 View Post
    This team isn't going anywhere? Really? The Cardinals have gotten unsubstainable awesome performance from their entire rotation, and we've not had our Ace and left fielder for basically the entire season so far, and we're getting subpar performances from Bruce,Frazier, and Cozart. And despite all that we're still in 2nd place and just 3 games back.

    How can you seriously think that this team doesn't have a damn good chance of making the playoffs this season?
    You really can't say for the season Frazier has been subpar. So far, he's accumulatd a WAR of 1.2, and OPS+ of 105, and he leads the National League in DRS for third base. Now, if you want to argue and claim he will end up being subpar by the end of the season, that's your choice. But up to this point in the season, he's been an asset.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

  14. Likes:

    REDREAD (05-13-2013)

  15. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Elma, Wa
    Posts
    64

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    You really can't say for the season Frazier has been subpar. So far, he's accumulatd a WAR of 1.2, and OPS+ of 105, and he leads the National League in DRS for third base. Now, if you want to argue and claim he will end up being subpar by the end of the season, that's your choice. But up to this point in the season, he's been an asset.
    Oh he's been an asset for sure, I was just referring to his wOBA being down 14 points from last year and the K's being up a bit. I do expect him to be fine though by the end of the season.

  16. #12
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,674

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    Seriously, some of the "we are lost" "the Cards are great" "Leake is a bad pitcher" Frazier is a bad third baseman" Reds offense is horrible stuff is ridiculous. Way overreacting. This comparing Leake with headcase Ankiel is and suggesting he replace Cozart...silly. Quit worrying about how great the darn Cards are...the Reds have built a solid team with a good farm backing and don't have to apologize to anyone. Nor feel inferior or "look to the Cards way". This tean will win the division even if they don't make a trade. Quit feeling second fiddle to the Cards!! Quit hand wringing because the Reds are not winning every series IN MAY. I've never seen so much "we are doomed the Cards are great" crap on this board since the 04 season when we really did stink.

  17. #13
    Member Old school 1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,700

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Seriously, some of the "we are lost" "the Cards are great" "Leake is a bad pitcher" Frazier is a bad third baseman" Reds offense is horrible stuff is ridiculous. Way overreacting. This comparing Leake with headcase Ankiel is and suggesting he replace Cozart...silly. Quit worrying about how great the darn Cards are...the Reds have built a solid team with a good farm backing and don't have to apologize to anyone. Nor feel inferior or "look to the Cards way". This tean will win the division even if they don't make a trade. Quit feeling second fiddle to the Cards!! Quit hand wringing because the Reds are not winning every series IN MAY. I've never seen so much "we are doomed the Cards are great" crap on this board since the 04 season when we really did stink.
    I agree for the most part. Leake is a solid pitcher. Teams would kill to have him. This offense isn't horrible. It's missing one key piece and guys are underperforming. I know the Frazier comment was directed at me but the guy is ok. I just think a lot of fans think he is way better than he really is. I've had comments on hypothetical trade threads that said if the reds had a chance to get a superior player like Headley we shouldnt move Frazier in the deal or even to left or even for a piece that help the team like young that we would be amiss to move Frazier. He's an alright player with plus pop. I think he is not very disciplined at the plate and we look at his D through rosť colored glasses but by no means is he terrible. I just think he'd be better in a platoon role while he is struggling and he'd make a good trade chip because he has value.

    As far as the cards stuff goes, they are a great franchise and know how to win. We have to cut out this scrap heap lucky garbage. The cards are good admit it. So are the reds. I think there are a few things the reds could take note of from the cards but the same could be said the other way around too. So all and all it comes down to this: if the reds win who gives a crap what the cards do?
    Last edited by Old school 1983; 05-10-2013 at 07:24 PM.

  18. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    65

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    I might b wrong ,but I bet cingrani is going down when cueto comes back, I think hanny catching him gives it away, hanny already catches Latos, arroyo, and bailey and now cingrani, so if cueto replaces leake then hanny would catch all 5, I would think if cingrani was staying they would have mes catching him to get familiar, but maybe I am looking too deep into it.

  19. #15
    Member DavidMemphis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    40

    Re: I love Leake bat but Cingrani has better upside pitching

    For my money, Cozart's defense is something that I am NOT willing to give up. Hopefully, in time, he will develop into a more consistent hitter. Remember, before Ludwick got hurt, I believe he was slated to bat in the 7 hole, NOT the 2 hole. I agree that he doesn't hit well enough to man the 2 spot. But moving Leake to short would be an atrocious decision in my opinion. I'd like to see BP and Zach as our middle infield for the next decade.

    As far as Cingrani, I am very high on him as well. However, through many years of watching this great game, I have learned to be weary. Young starting pitching, almost more than any other position, will disappoint in the long haul more often than not. Not saying that will happen in Tony's case at all - he's got great stuff. But, he IS young, and somewhat unrefined, so the Reds sending him down would not shock me. Where he needs work, in my opinion, is he needs to learn how to rely on his other pitches more to get outs. When you're throwing 90% fastballs in the minors, you can get away with it FAR more than in the majors. I'd like to see more use of his slider, curve, and better development of his changeup. Not saying he can't do that in the big show, just stating that while I'm very optimistic about him, he still has a ways to go in my humble opinion.

  20. Likes:

    Old school 1983 (05-14-2013)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25