Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowling

Re: Bowling

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Three Strikes in a Row is called an Adam Dunn.
    Better known as the "Big Turkey"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Waiting for someone to say Jr. is a lazy bowler.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

4. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-11-2013)

My level of jealousy is very elevated.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

6. Likes:

dougdirt (05-11-2013),VR (05-11-2013)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Silly me. I thought this was a thread about Frank Bowling.

Rem
    you must be as old as I am
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Likely, older.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Ok, baseball threads only...I get it!

However...... I'm in a charity golf tournament next week in Portland with a lot of sports celebs.

It includes a bowling event on Friday......which I couldn't wait to get out of.

That is, until I heard the celeb that we drew was a guy named

Ken
    Griffey
    Junior

Nice!

10. Likes:

VR (05-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Where?
    Just found out....Big Al's in Beaverton.

8 teams, no spectators allowed. Bowling w/ Junior freakin Griffey for 2 hours.

Are you kidding me? I'm not going to sleep tonight.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

12. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (05-17-2013),Puffy (05-17-2013),SirFelixCat (05-17-2013),Tom Servo (05-17-2013),westofyou (05-17-2013),WrongVerb (05-17-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-17-2013)

Thats awesome man, enjoy! Think of some things to talk about before hand. I had a similar-though maybe not as cool-experience a few years back. I am a HUGE UNC fan and was invited to a charity bowling event a few years back. I like to bowl recreationally but am not that great, so wasn't really excited. I get to the lanes and am teamed with Vince Carter and Antawn Jamison. It turned out pretty cool, although Carter wasnt very interactive or interested to be there.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I was going to ask what questions you all thought I should ask? Or random jr trivia that I could throw out there that might get him thinking I'm a stalker
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I was going to ask what questions you all thought I should ask? Or random jr trivia that I could throw out there that might get him thinking I'm a stalker
    My two cents for whatever its worth is just treat Junior like a regular guy. If you act like a star struck fan it could be a bit of a turn off to him.

Years ago I played in a poker game with Ari Fleischer who was the former WH Press Secretary and also married to a freind of our family. I couldn't wait to meet him but I was literally star struck to the point I could hardly talk him. I kept thinking act normal but I couldn't. I never imagined it would happen but it did to me so be prepared.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 05-17-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

If you're goal is to get him to talk....ask about his kids.

17. Likes:

George Anderson (05-17-2013)

Ok, baseball threads only...I get it!

However...... I'm in a charity golf tournament next week in Portland with a lot of sports celebs.

It includes a bowling event on Friday......which I couldn't wait to get out of.

That is, until I heard the celeb that we drew was a guy named

Ken
    Griffey
    Junior

I got his autograph after a HS game, I played little league for All Saints and we'd all go watch him play after our games/ practices.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    If you're goal is to get him to talk....ask about his kids.
    This! I would just try to treat him like a normal person and ask him about everyday things. That will hopefully make him feel more comfortable around you and then maybe he'll share some baseball stories with you later on. Have a GREAT time!!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I don't know, maybe it's fair to acknowledge in the introduction that you're feeling amazed or excited about meeting a person so famous and, really, historical - then move on right away. To just pretend like it's nothing could be hard, unless you really work on telling yourself, "who cares". Right: "Who cares if he's an American baseball legend and at one time universally adored." But, I think the thing famous people get used to detecting is people trying to extract from them. If a person is all aglow about meeting you, and it happens all the time, what does that do for you? The exchange is unnatural especially if you teach yourself not to listen to all the praise/criticism. Junior seems genuinely humble or grounded or whatever. FWIW, the somewhat famous person I know is also friends with my friends, so it has made it easier to find common ground and we've never talked about the obvious - his own relatively amazing sports career. My guess, sports is a good topic with Junior. GOOD LUCK!

Beyond jealous, but excited for you. Remember to have fun and just try and treat him as a normal dude. I'm sure he'd appreciate that. He probably just has better stories And, imo, autographs are overrated. A picture with him is much better.

Turn Off Ads?