Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bowling

Re: Bowling

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    If you're goal is to get him to talk....ask about his kids.
    I imagine this is a pretty big source of excitement in the Griffey household. Taryn will join big brother Trey as an athlete at U. of Arizona.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...102314008.html
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Yep. But be honest...any parent likes talking about their kids. (well, except the incarcerated ones I guess)

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I don't know, maybe it's fair to acknowledge in the introduction that you're feeling amazed or excited about meeting a person so famous and, really, historical - then move on right away. To just pretend like it's nothing could be hard, unless you really work on telling yourself, "who cares". Right: "Who cares if he's an American baseball legend and at one time universally adored." But, I think the thing famous people get used to detecting is people trying to extract from them. If a person is all aglow about meeting you, and it happens all the time, what does that do for you? The exchange is unnatural especially if you teach yourself not to listen to all the praise/criticism. Junior seems genuinely humble or grounded or whatever. FWIW, the somewhat famous person I know is also friends with my friends, so it has made it easier to find common ground and we've never talked about the obvious - his own relatively amazing sports career. My guess, sports is a good topic with Junior. GOOD LUCK!
    It's pretty common knowledge that Junior doesn't care to talk about baseball much and specifically HIS baseball exploits. But if you must talk baseball VR, focus on other players. Ask about funny Dunner moments. Toss in a "Marty do you have your shirt on" or "I think Hatteberg is overrated". It's sure to make him laugh. Bottom line...have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I was going to ask what questions you all thought I should ask? Or random jr trivia that I could throw out there that might get him thinking I'm a stalker
    I would start with "Do you remember when you played for the Reds....that was awesome"
    I would have a few baseball questions ready if it seems right after you are with him for a bit, but start with asking about kids, what doing now, etc.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

You might ask junior if he brought his recliner to sit in when he wasnt bowling.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I'd probably open with "what is the air speed velocity of an unleadened swallow?" But that's just me. If he answered "african or european" I'd know I was in for a wild ride.

Does a cheetah stretch before throwing a bowling ball?

Sorry, just had to do it.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Well, kinda anti-climactic evening.

He knew right away that I was a Reds fan.....and spent the first 15 minutes sharing how much he HATED the Reds. Absolutely hates. Andy Furman is a guy he still has a vitriol for him that is of epic proportion. Please do not get your hopes up that he will go into the hall as a Red.....no effing way was his quote. Lots of very very bad blood, which put a damper on the evening for me.

We ended up talking a lot of smack, which was fun. I bashed on his bowling, and told him we should have gotten Brandon Phillips as our teammate. He tried to call him mid way through to talk trash, but couldn't get through.

He's definitely 'big time', but was pretty cool to our whole team.

He bailed after one game, and Kenny Lofton jumped in...who was super cool. He is our celeb golfer on Sunday, I'm looking forward to that.

I'll post a pick or two tomorrow.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

jredmo2

He knew right away that I was a Reds fan.....and spent the first 15 minutes sharing how much he HATED the Reds. Absolutely hates. Andy Furman is a guy he still has a vitriol for him that is of epic proportion. Please do not get your hopes up that he will go into the hall as a Red.....no effing way was his quote. Lots of very very bad blood, which put a damper on the evening for me.

We ended up talking a lot of smack, which was fun. I bashed on his bowling, and told him we should have gotten Brandon Phillips as our teammate. He tried to call him mid way through to talk trash, but couldn't get through.

He bailed after one game, and Kenny Lofton jumped in...who was super cool. He is our celeb golfer on Sunday, I'm looking forward to that.

I wonder how fat he is.

He didn't really do anything HOF worthy as a Red, so not sure why anyone would think that was a possibility.

Worth The Wait

Interesting VR.... I was always a bit the minority. I wasn't a real big Junior fan even in his Seattle heydey of the 90's. I enjoyed watching him play, but something about him always rubbed me the wrong way. When we made the trade I was very excited, especially coming off 1999 and thinking maybe he'd push us over the top.

After his time in Cincy, these were impressions of him (obviously from afar):

1. A good guy; a family man, who was unlikely to ever get in trouble for doing something stupid

2. Very overly sensitive for his position in the sports world

3. Distrusting of fans and media

4. Felt people were out to get him

5. Not necessarily willing to take responsibility for any shortcomings

6. Holds grudges

Based on your experience, I think some of my impressions might be correct. For whatever reason Junior never "connected" with me. I just wasn't a huge fan. He came off as a whiner to me. I definitely think too much blame fell his way for the overall team failures during his time here, but I also don't think he handled himself all that well.

Bottom line, Junior just wasn't my style and unfortunately the trade just didn't work out all that well for either party. But for him to still have so much venom about it all sort of confirms some of my suspicions about him.

Please note that that doesn't mean that I think he's a "bad guy" by any means. Just not the type of personality that connects with me or makes me a big fan.

That's a cool opportunity you had, congrats.

Wow, I've lost a bit of respect for him. Knowing you're a Reds fan, and saying how much he hates the Reds is just plain rude.

Of course he's going into the hall as a Mariner, but there's no reason to bash a team that paid him a lot of money over the years when he was injured. He played on some awful Reds teams, and a lot of fans came to the park just to see him. What a jerk, I thought Griffey was a better man than that.

What reason would he have to hate the Reds so much? Just the fact that they never really surrounded him with enough talent to win? (Trying to at least see this from his perspective)
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    What reason would he have to hate the Reds so much? Just the fact that they never really surrounded him with enough talent to win? (Trying to at least see this from his perspective)
    Aside from Dunn, I don't think he had very good chemistry with anyone on the team. He never behaved like a leader, like someone who cared about the team as a whole.

The lack of overall team talent was definitely a large factor. Junior thought he was above it. Fans booing when he got hurt didn't help either.

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    Aside from Dunn, I don't think he had very good chemistry with anyone on the team. He never behaved like a leader, like someone who cared about the team as a whole.

The lack of overall team talent was definitely a large factor. Junior thought he was above it. Fans booing when he got hurt didn't help either.
    I suppose it makes sense that a personality like Junior was more comfortable in that Seattle situation where he could just be "The Kid." Once he came to Cincy, he probably should have become "The Man" -- but that was a role he never really knew how to play.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Turn Off Ads?