Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Bowling

Re: Bowling

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Well, kinda anti-climactic evening.

He knew right away that I was a Reds fan.....and spent the first 15 minutes sharing how much he HATED the Reds. Absolutely hates. Andy Furman is a guy he still has a vitriol for him that is of epic proportion. Please do not get your hopes up that he will go into the hall as a Red.....no effing way was his quote. Lots of very very bad blood, which put a damper on the evening for me.

We ended up talking a lot of smack, which was fun. I bashed on his bowling, and told him we should have gotten Brandon Phillips as our teammate. He tried to call him mid way through to talk trash, but couldn't get through.

He's definitely 'big time', but was pretty cool to our whole team.

He bailed after one game, and Kenny Lofton jumped in...who was super cool. He is our celeb golfer on Sunday, I'm looking forward to that.

I'll post a pick or two tomorrow.
    Sad, but if you ask my wife, that's about what she would have expected. The one time I met him, growing up in Portland a HUGE Jr. fan, he couldn't have been more rude to me. Wife as been anti-Jr. ever since.

This still makes me sad hearing that this is, in fact, the way he is. *sigh*. There's always E.D.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Couldn't speak to 4 and 5....but I think the others came out quite a bit.

The dude has an electric smile and lights up the room. Very fun loving with fans and horsing around with them while taking pictures. He did say he was with Dunn (in Milwaukie?) when Dunner called Marty on the banana phone.

It 's gotta be tough for these athletes to have to make appearances, hang out with random strangers, and act like they are having the time of their life. Griff was by far the biggest star there....so kudos to him for showing up for a long weekend in Portland Oregon to raise money for cancer research.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    Interesting VR.... I was always a bit the minority. I wasn't a real big Junior fan even in his Seattle heydey of the 90's. I enjoyed watching him play, but something about him always rubbed me the wrong way. When we made the trade I was very excited, especially coming off 1999 and thinking maybe he'd push us over the top.

After his time in Cincy, these were impressions of him (obviously from afar):

1. A good guy; a family man, who was unlikely to ever get in trouble for doing something stupid

2. Very overly sensitive for his position in the sports world

3. Distrusting of fans and media

4. Felt people were out to get him

5. Not necessarily willing to take responsibility for any shortcomings

6. Holds grudges

Based on your experience, I think some of my impressions might be correct. For whatever reason Junior never "connected" with me. I just wasn't a huge fan. He came off as a whiner to me. I definitely think too much blame fell his way for the overall team failures during his time here, but I also don't think he handled himself all that well.

Bottom line, Junior just wasn't my style and unfortunately the trade just didn't work out all that well for either party. But for him to still have so much venom about it all sort of confirms some of my suspicions about him.

Please note that that doesn't mean that I think he's a "bad guy" by any means. Just not the type of personality that connects with me or makes me a big fan.

That's a cool opportunity you had, congrats.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    What reason would he have to hate the Reds so much? Just the fact that they never really surrounded him with enough talent to win? (Trying to at least see this from his perspective)
    Griffey took a hometown discount to sign a long term deal when traded over here, then deferred a good chunk of that in order to help the team build a winner, only to see Linder pocket that money instead of spending it on the team.

Linder basically lied to Griffey and stole his money. I would be angry and bitter too.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Griffey took a hometown discount to sign a long term deal when traded over here, then deferred a good chunk of that in order to help the team build a winner, only to see Linder pocket that money instead of spending it on the team.

Linder basically lied to Griffey and stole his money. I would be angry and bitter too.
    Funny....because he did mention he's still getting 4 checks a year, didn't seem too broken up about that

His hatred really came down to the media....and a little bit of the psycho fans that hated the trade in the beginning and merciless bashing. Some crazy stories about his wife being harassed and packing up to move.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Funny....because he did mention he's still getting 4 checks a year, didn't seem too broken up about that

His hatred really came down to the media....and a little bit of the psycho fans that hated the trade in the beginning and merciless bashing. Some crazy stories about his wife being harassed and packing up to move.
    And IMO he's got a legitimate beef with both. He was treated very poorly while here. Instead of people enjoying what they DID have, they lamented what they didn't have. (Dunn as well but maybe not to the same extent)

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    And IMO he's got a legitimate beef with both. He was treated very poorly while here. Instead of people enjoying what they DID have, they lamented what they didn't have. (Dunn as well but maybe not to the same extent)
    Very poorly? Eh, I don't know about that. Biggest name, biggest contract... Scrutiny goes with the territory. He had a niche in Seattle where he was beloved and generally left alone and he wasn't happy there either.

Psycho fans that make threats or verbally assault family members are freaks in need of help. I don't doubt that is scary for athletes and frustrating, but its also an absurdly small minority.

Sure, Junior unfairly took some of the heat for the Reds struggles during his time here, no doubt. But again, that's just the deal when you are a superstar athlete. For the most part I thought Junior was well respected by the fans. He isn't a super likable guy on the surface so that is probably why he was never fully embraced.

Unfortunately, it just didn't work out for anyone. Do I think Junior ran into some bad luck with injuries? Yes. Do I think he took a few too many jabs from the media and fans? Yes. Do I think he wanted to succeed here? Yes. Do I think some of the "lazy" rumors have merit? Yes. Do I think he was/is entirely too sensitive? Yes. Should I stop asking myself questions? Yes

8. Likes:

Bob Borkowski (05-19-2013),mth123 (05-19-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-20-2013)

Couldn't speak to 4 and 5....but I think the others came out quite a bit.

The dude has an electric smile and lights up the room. Very fun loving with fans and horsing around with them while taking pictures. He did say he was with Dunn (in Milwaukie?) when Dunner called Marty on the banana phone.

It 's gotta be tough for these athletes to have to make appearances, hang out with random strangers, and act like they are having the time of their life. Griff was by far the biggest star there....so kudos to him for showing up for a long weekend in Portland Oregon to raise money for cancer research.
    I am sorry it wasnt better than it was, but have to say not surprised either. I do want to say a bigger kudos to you, as to be invited I assume you played a big role in supporting/sponsoring the cost of this fundraiser for cancer? Thank you for that!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?