Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Alex Rios

Re: Alex Rios

Rios is a quality player, I like this potential acquisition for many of the reasons Guacarock said.

He's only 33 this year, he should be fine for this year and next. Beyond that, there's Winker, etc.

I'm not upset about the money, it's not a long term contract. Knowing the Reds, they will get some salary concession in any deal with Texas.

If the Reds do this, they still need to upgrade SS by at least .100 OPS points for next year, if not more.

2. Likes:

Benihana (07-28-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Another factor in Rios' favor: He murders left-handed pitching. This season, he has a .409 OBP against southpaws, and is slugging against them at a .651 clip. None of the Reds' position players can match him on either score.

Mesoraco comes closest with a .393 OBP against southpaws, while Votto is slugging against them to the tune of .621. Ludwick, by comparison, has a .308 OBP against LH pitching and .450 slugging in 2014.

Also, while this gets into more speculative terrain, check out Rios' spray charts on Fangraphs. Those charts suggest his home run totals at GABP would come a lot closer to matching his performance with the White Sox than those he has achieved with the Rangers. He had 18 long balls in 2013, but only 4 so far this year. But the Rangers' park in Arlington is 11 feet deeper than GABP in deep-left, 7 feet deeper in deep-right. Plunk Rios into GABP and -- not so miraculously -- it might look like he had found his stroke again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    I would take Rios if the Ludwick/Schu thing was put to rest. I don't want him for that ridiculous price though.
    $13.5 million is a lot of bones, but we can cushion the sting by moving Broxton's $9 million salary, either over the next month or during the off-season. Alternatively, teams would line up to grab Chapman if the Reds made him available. I have little doubt that someone -- perchance the Dodgers -- would even offer a primo SS prospect for his services.

Shedding Broxton would be a calculated risk, but we have Contreras and Jumbo Diaz, and both look like they might be capable right-handed setup men. Trading Chapman would be much riskier, but if that move landed us a young hotshot SS and other baubles, that's a risk that might well be worth taking.

We have a manager now who got his start as a pitching coach. We have the strongest Reds rotation we've ever seen. We also have arguably the finest crop of pitching prospects down on the farm that the Reds have ever assembled. I can't think of a better time to shift some existing resources from the bullpen to the offense, and then let the chips fall where they may, and call upon Price, our starters and our young stud hurlers to step forward and pick up the pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    Yeah, NO:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tex...is-falling.ece

Alex Rios stats:
    .766 lifetime OPS
    .324 life OBP

.756 OPS
    .328 OBP

Ryan Ludwick
    .787 Lifetime OPS
    .332 lifetime OBP

.717 OPS
    .323 OBP

So, the Reds would not pick up Ludwick's option, pay the 4.5 million buyout, and pay Rios 13.5 million. They would be paying about 18 million for probably roughly the same production in LF that they got this year. If that happens I will sing "where have you gone Wayne Krivsky? Cincinnati turns her lonely heart to you".
    I think a deal for Rios should include Ludwick going the other way to offset the salaries a but. Something like Ludwick, Moscot and Corcino or Lutz makes some sense to me. Maybe throw in a LaMarre type as well.
    Go BLUE!!!

7. Likes:

Hubba (07-28-2014)

A trade offer of Ludwick, Moscot, Lutz, Corcino, and Lamarre is pretty much a steaming pile of poo when it comes to prospect value. If I were the opposing GM I might just say give me only Moscot and we'll call it even. I would have to think the Sox could do better. But hey, if they would accept that, why not?

9. Likes:

DocRed (07-28-2014)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

This seems like a lateral move for a ton more money. I'm not seeing it.

Ludwick:

2013: .240/.293/.326/.618 bWAR: -0.7 fWAR: -0.8

2014: .261/.322/392./714 bWAR: -0.1 fWAR: -0.2

Career: .262/.332/.455/.787 bWAR/Year: 0.94 fWAR/Year: 1.1

Alex Rios:

2013: .278/.324/.432/.756 bWAR: 1.1 fWAR: 3.1

2014: .299/.328/.426/.754 bWAR: 0.5 fWAR: 0.7

Career: .280/.325/.442/.766 bWAR/YEAR: 2.58 fWAR/Year: 2.48

Not a MASSIVE upgrade, but still an upgrade. Everyone knows Rios isn' worth $13.5 million for one season, but all things being equal, I'd rather have Rios than Ludwick.

Crazy that Rios has played 11 years in the majors for three different teams and hasn't had a single AB at GABP. Even playing in the AL you'd think he'd play a game at GABP eventually.
    Last edited by joshua; 07-28-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Interesting piece on Rios in yesterday's Dallas Morning News:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/tex...is-falling.ece

Mentions that Cleveland, Kansas City, Seattle and Toronto all had scouts watching him over the weekend, but no mention made of the Reds in pursuit -- hot or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Ludwick:

2013: .240/.293/.326/.618 bWAR: -0.7 fWAR: -0.8

2014: .261/.322/392./714 bWAR: -0.1 fWAR: -0.2

Career: .262/.332/.455/.787 bWAR/Year: 0.94 fWAR/Year: 1.1

Alex Rios:

2013: .278/.324/.432/.756 bWAR: 1.1 fWAR: 3.1

2014: .299/.328/.426/.754 bWAR: 0.5 fWAR: 0.7

Career: .280/.325/.442/.766 bWAR/YEAR: 2.58 fWAR/Year: 2.48

Not a MASSIVE upgrade, but still an upgrade. Everyone knows Rios isn' worth $13.5 million for one season, but all things being equal, I'd rather have Rios than Ludwick.

Crazy that Rios has played 11 years in the majors for three different teams and hasn't had a single AB at GABP. Even playing in the AL you'd think he'd play a game at GABP eventually.
    Ludwick isn't a full time player anymore. Rios is.

Ludwick is several years older. At one time this may have been a lateral move. Now it's an improvement.

If the money can be worked out, Rios is the kind of player the Reds should have been going after last off-season. Not a star, but a solid average type who can add depth to the lineup. But of course, if it happens, we have to see what the deal is.

Rosecrans surveys the field and pooh-poohs the candidates being discussed as possible trade deadline pickups for the Reds. Doesn't really knock Rios, except to describe his 2015 contract as "waaaaay too much for the Reds to afford."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/reds...ey=&autologin=

I agree that Rios is an upgrade to Ludwick, pretty much anyone would be, but it's simply a potential upgrade because he is an actual everyday MLB starting OF caliber player and Ludwick is not.

How much, if any, they pay to realize that small improvement is the question.

For me personally I can't get excited about a small upgrade without focusing more on how poorly Walt has, imo, bungled the LF position over the past 2 years.

If they were to land Rios I would generalize it right now as far too little, far too late and probably far too much.

16. Likes:

joshua (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    I agree that Rios is an upgrade to Ludwick, pretty much anyone would be, but it's simply a potential upgrade because he is an actual everyday MLB starting OF caliber player and Ludwick is not.
    I agree, but sadly 50% on the current roster (hitters only obviously) are not an upgrade over Ludwick offensively....
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

18. Likes:

Marc D (07-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Guacarock View Post
    no mention made of the Reds in pursuit -- hot or otherwise.
    Latos trade aside, when I think of Walt's idea of "hot pursuit," I keep picturing Roscoe P. Coltrain.

20. Likes:

joshua (07-28-2014),Marc D (07-28-2014),Old school 1983 (07-28-2014)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I'd check to see if the Phillies want to move Revere.

At least as a LH platoon in LF with Ludwick.

I can't believe he'd cost too much.

Just DFA Heisey and get it over with.
    Last edited by malcontent; 07-28-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I'd check to see if the Phillies want to move Revere.

At least as a LH platoon in LF with Ludwick.

I can't believe he'd cost too much.
    Revere's 667 OPS would fit right in.

Turn Off Ads?