Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: more Dusty frustration...

more Dusty frustration...

Ok, last night bottom 6, runner on first, Pitcher's spot up, and its Simon, who probably hasnt touched a bat since March...Dusty sends him up to try and bunt, he of course looks like a 5th grader, strikes out....then Dusty sends Lecure in to pitch.....WT_?????!!!!!!!

Can anybody tell me why, if you dont want to burn a pinch hitter there, but you're going to change pitchers, you dont send up Leake or even Arroyo/Bailey/Latos to try andbunt him over??? Was Dusty asked about this???

2. Turn Off Ads?
    That's a fair beef. Likely Baker saw him bunt in Spring or in practices and he was competent? Still Arroyo would be a good one to send up.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Re: more Dusty frustration...

no way Dusty could think he was competent, especially after his first attempt, and even if he thought he was competent, no way he's as good at it as one of the starters...Dusty has a habit of screwing stuff like this up. Last week he let Arroyo bat in one inning, then pulled him for a reliever. No way that should ever happen imho.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    Ok, last night bottom 6, runner on first, Pitcher's spot up, and its Simon, who probably hasnt touched a bat since March...Dusty sends him up to try and bunt, he of course looks like a 5th grader, strikes out....then Dusty sends Lecure in to pitch.....WT_?????!!!!!!!

Can anybody tell me why, if you dont want to burn a pinch hitter there, but you're going to change pitchers, you dont send up Leake or even Arroyo/Bailey/Latos to try andbunt him over??? Was Dusty asked about this???
    My Dish feed ended right after the last out so I did not see any postgame --- was he even asked about his logic there?
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    ...Dusty has a habit of screwing stuff like this up....
    ....Dusty Baker trusted that Simon could get the bunt down. In showing too much faith in his player, Dusty put the player in a position where he could fail, and he did. FWIW Dusty COULD have pinch hit with Joey Votto the second who might have struck out and then you would have message board wags asking why Dusty burned through his bench so early in the game when he could have let the pitcher bunt.

Like it or not, Dusty Baker is going to go into the hall of fame as a manager. Yeah, back up and read it again.

What's better is that if in 15 years when somebody else is struggling trying to manage a mid pack reds team there will be message board wags who will pine for the days when Dusty was in the dugout pushing all the right buttons.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Arroyo looked miserable bunting the other day... first if it's a bunt why burn a bench player when you still have three innings left? And if you are going to bunt a pitcher it might as well be the guy who is leaving the game and not a starter or pitcher who might pitch later, save their fingers (see Cozarts busted up finger as an example)

8. Likes:

jimbo (05-11-2013)

Dustration: the self-imposed frustration one feels while over analyzing every decision Dusty Baker makes during a season.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (05-14-2013),bigredmechanism (05-15-2013),dougdirt (05-11-2013),jimbo (05-11-2013),RedsManRick (05-11-2013),SirFelixCat (05-11-2013),westofyou (05-11-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-11-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Dustration: the self-imposed frustration one feels while over analyzing every decision Dusty Baker makes during a season.
    I feel like this needs to be on a shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Arroyo looked miserable bunting the other day... first if it's a bunt why burn a bench player when you still have three innings left? And if you are going to bunt a pitcher it might as well be the guy who is leaving the game and not a starter or pitcher who might pitch later, save their fingers (see Cozarts busted up finger as an example)
    This is the correct answer. No further discussion needed. You can blame Dusty if you want, but Simon failed to bunt, not Dusty.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    This is the correct answer. No further discussion needed. You can blame Dusty if you want, but Simon failed to bunt, not Dusty.
    Exactly. Yes, some guys are better at bunting than others...but all of the pitchers practice it and they're all expected to be able to perform that task. Clearly, Dusty expects his players to be able to accomplish this basic skill.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Since Simon was up simply to bunt, and I assume that Dusty likely wanted to save, perhaps, Leake and Arroyo, his best 2 hitting/running pitchers, in case the game went into extras and he neded a PH or pinch runner, I still don't see why he didn't bring in Bailey or Latos to bunt.

I thought so at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Since Simon was up simply to bunt, and I assume that Dusty likely wanted to save, perhaps, Leake and Arroyo, his best 2 hitting/running pitchers, in case the game went into extras and he neded a PH or pinch runner, I still don't see why he didn't bring in Bailey or Latos to bunt.

Bring in Latos to bunt late into the evening when he's scheduled to start the next afternoon?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

17. Likes:

Captain13 (05-14-2013),MississippiRed (05-15-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

nm
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 05-11-2013 at 12:44 PM.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-11-2013),Stingray (05-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

It's actually pretty risky asking a starting pitcher to bunt. Ball gets real close to their hands. We've all seen it numerous times, just recently with Cozart. I'm not sending up a starting pitcher whose not in the game to bunt unless I have to.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?