Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: more Dusty frustration...

Re: more Dusty frustration...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I changed it up a little bit. It better fits my thinking
    I just copyrighted it so please cease and desist with that fallacy or feel the full wrath of my lawyers.

2. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-15-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Next Friday, if the exact same scenario happens again, do you think Dusty finds a pinch hitter (likely a starting pitcher)?

I think the answer is yes. Simon is done bunting for the year, UNLESS he is going out to pitch the next inning.
    You're not suggesting that he learns from his mistakes, are you?

IMO, Leake's bat is terribly under-utilized by Baker. That would have been a perfect spot for him...to bunt or, preferably, to swing away.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    You're not suggesting that he learns from his mistakes, are you?

IMO, Leake's bat is terribly under-utilized by Baker. That would have been a perfect spot for him...to bunt or, preferably, to swing away.
    LOL, Leake's bat is underutilized. But Dusty did say the other day that Mike was a better option than any of the righty bats on his bench. So he is appreciated, if not used.

I continue to find this an unbelievable statement, the manager saying that a pitcher is his best RH bench bat. Presumably he has mentioned this, in passing, to Walt in the club cafeteria.

I guess the answer is that Heisey will be back soon, whatever, not going to get started on that. Maybe a healthy and rested Chris will get hot.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I just copyrighted it so please cease and desist with that fallacy or feel the full wrath of my lawyers.
    It is already on the internet. There is no stopping it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Raindog View Post
    Don't disagree about your statement but I'm often amused by the people that tout that the number of wins he has validates his skill as a manager - he is 18th all time in wins --- what is never mentioned by these supporters -- he's also 18th in all time losses
    Well yes. And Pete Rose is first in making outs. You don't get the chance at the longevity if you are not doing something right.

Baker has very real skills as a manager combined with some very obvious flaws. He can be maddening to watch when things backfire, but the notion that Dusty is some clueless mouth breather that sits in the dugout chewing toothpicks instead of paying attention to the game is just silly.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

8. Likes:

jimbo (05-11-2013),kfm (05-11-2013),REDREAD (05-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    ....Dusty Baker trusted that Simon could get the bunt down. In showing too much faith in his player, Dusty put the player in a position where he could fail, and he did. FWIW Dusty COULD have pinch hit with Joey Votto the second who might have struck out and then you would have message board wags asking why Dusty burned through his bench so early in the game when he could have let the pitcher bunt.

Like it or not, Dusty Baker is going to go into the hall of fame as a manager. Yeah, back up and read it again.

What's better is that if in 15 years when somebody else is struggling trying to manage a mid pack reds team there will be message board wags who will pine for the days when Dusty was in the dugout pushing all the right buttons.

Just imagine how good dusty could be if he just didn't screw up the little things? This is one of my problems with certain media types.....they think just because dusty is a HOF manager then everything he does is good or "good enough" to get a pass because he's forgot more about managing a game than I will ever know.......Pete rose once said that he watched high school baseball games when his son was playing and he would pick things up from high school kids.....basically,it's never to late and your never to good to not learn or not change your style.....if dusty just tweaked a few things here and there he could go down as one of the best of all time......but he won't and he will get a pass for it.

I am not debating this issue solely off him bunting Simon when he could've bunted a starter but there is a whole plethora of goof ups that dusty has has over the last few years that high school managers don't screw up.....maybe dusty has a reason for making his choices but rarely does the media ask him about his screw ups for fear of being black balled......few will ask but every media member who has the stand should ask dusty his thought process when he screws up.....or we think he screws up.

Wasn't there a thread on here a year or two ago that was all about dusty's mishaps?

With all that said, I think he is a good fit for this team......ad if you gave me carte Blanche to choose any other manager in the game, I am not sure I could come up with another manager and be 100% happy with my pick

It should be:

Dustration: the self-imposed frustration one feels when analyzing any decision Dusty Baker makes during a season.

Oooops. I see Doug beat me to it.
    Last edited by smixsell; 05-11-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    It should be:

Dustration: the self-imposed frustration one feels when analyzing any decision Dusty Baker makes during a season.

Oooops. I see Doug beat me to it.
    It's my term, so it shouldn't be anything but what I say. And i said it already.

Back up off me.

12. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-15-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (05-11-2013)

It's my term, so it shouldn't be anything but what I say. And i said it already.

Back up off me.
    Sorry to correct you Ed but if you're going to say "Back up off me," it must be followed by Yo. As in "Back up off me Yo." When you say it wrong, you can expect no one to back up off you and you only have yourself to blame.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

14. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-15-2013),edabbs44 (05-11-2013)

Back up off me.
    Sorry pal, you can't copyright a single word. Take a chill pill.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Sorry pal, you can't copyright a single word. Take a chill pill.
    You can trademark it! Dustration t-shirts.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    No offense to Simon, but not nearly as big of a deal if he gets hurt bunting, than if Latos or Bailey do.

For the record, I am also strongly against using starting pitchers as pinch runners for the same reason.
    I feel a strong need to point this out, as an ex-American Legion pitcher, NO ONE SHOULD EVER BE HURT WHILST BUNTING.

We played, in the late 70's, by NL rules. The pitchers were a mixed bag, some were also position players, some were not. We had a great coach, the best I ever played for. (Pat Quinn- head coach for UC later and then after that Ball State). He made damn sure every single pitcher could bunt. Safely. Effectively. In fact, he had signals, to bunt down the 3rd base line, at the pitcher, or down the 3rd base line.

It was not difficult, but then again, we were only facing 83-90 mph fastballs and curves.

Weren't these Dusty in-game second-guessing threads contained within the game threads last year? It's going to be a long season if we start seeing these pop up every week.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    You can trademark it! Dustration t-shirts.
    The question is which phrase?

The one Edabbs coined which makes fun of people always questioning Dusty, or the one Doig put on his mock T-Shirt, which makes fun of Dusty himself?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Well yes. And Pete Rose is first in making outs. You don't get the chance at the longevity if you are not doing something right.

Baker has very real skills as a manager combined with some very obvious flaws. He can be maddening to watch when things backfire, but the notion that Dusty is some clueless mouth breather that sits in the dugout chewing toothpicks instead of paying attention to the game is just silly.
    Still not disagreeing with you -- but -- there had to be a but --- an awful lot of his wins

(840-715) were garnered with the San Francisco steroid gang.

I have trouble getting past that.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Turn Off Ads?