Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: more Dusty frustration...

Re: more Dusty frustration...

Dusty was visibly upset, pacing back and forth in the ninth inning. I don't think he wanted Homer out there. Bailey must have told him he's fine to go for the CG.

Bailey was still throwing 95-96, and looked fine out there. If he was gassed he would have said something.
    Last edited by jhiller21; 05-15-2013 at 03:33 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by jhiller21 View Post
    Dusty was visibly upset, pacing back and forth in the ninth inning. I don't think he wanted Homer out there. Bailey must have told him he's fine to go for the shutout.

Bailey was still throwing 95-96, and looked fine out there. If he was gassed he would have said something.
    The shutout ended in the first inning.

4. Likes:

max venable (05-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Actually May 14 is probably a lot closer to mid-May than early May. So what is the "official" mid-May limit for pitches? And do pitch limits increase as the year goes? I am not sure of these "official" rules/guidelines.
    You're right it is mid-May. (I have a difficult time remembering what day of the month it is.)

My point about it being May is that this was a game where there was a 4 run lead, coming off an off day, and it is a long season. While the need for pen rest is always there this was not a game to unnecessarily tire out Bailey for down the road. Marshall had not gone at all since 5.8 when he only faced one batter. If he is not hurt, Marshall could certainly have used some work.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/6489/sean-marshall

If the pen was spent or the game tight I could see running him out for the ninth but it seemed unnecessary. I don't think it is huge issue but it is something that could have been avoided.
    Last edited by klw; 05-15-2013 at 09:26 AM.

6. Likes:

lollipopcurve (05-15-2013)

Every indicator - the way Homer looked, MPH, the Marlins lack of success off him in the later innings - suggested Homer was fine. So I had no problem with Dusty letting him start the 9th on a leash that was obviously short (does anyone doubt that Homer would have been lifted if any runner reached base in the 8th or 9th?). And it worked out fine.

What many overlook, and where Dusty excels, is that the management of a baseball team is principally the management of 25 young men, with giant egos, all of whom have been the best baseball player at every level they have ever played at until reaching MLB. We have all watched Homer for half a decade now, and so we all know that he has hard-headed tendencies, many of which Dusty and his staff have successfully reined in; he's not nearly as crazy and mercurial as he used to be. My guess is that sometimes they feel like it helps their relationship with Homer to say yes to him when he clearly wants to do something - finish the game, in this instance. Homer is going to feel great about his game and the trust shown in him by his coaches, and perhaps that means he's going to listen to them the next time they need him to learn something.

Whether that's right or wrong, what I know for sure is that Dusty and his staff have taken this supreme talent and turned him into a legitimate MLB pitcher, and so they deserve the benefit of the doubt every once in a while with respect to how they handle him.

8. Likes:

REDREAD (05-15-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    My point about it being May is that this was a game where there was a 4 run lead, coming off an off day, and it is a long season. While the need for pen rest is always there this was not a game to unnecessarily tire out Bailey for down the road. Marshall had not gone at all since 5.8 when he only faced one batter. If he is not hurt, Marshall could certainly have used some work.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/6489/sean-marshall

If the pen was spent or the game tight I could see running him out for the ninth but it seemed unnecessary. I don't think it is huge issue but it is something that could have been avoided.
    No prob, klw. You could see the "worry" on Dusty last night in the 9th inning lol. And of course every batter seemed to foul off a few pitches in that inning and Homer seemed to throw 2 or 3 balls (non-strikes) to each hitter in that inning. As it was happening I thought, "RZ is going to go bonkers about the number of pitches!"

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    No prob, klw. You could see the "worry" on Dusty last night in the 9th inning lol. And of course every batter seemed to foul off a few pitches in that inning and Homer seemed to throw 2 or 3 balls (non-strikes) to each hitter in that inning. As it was happening I thought, "RZ is going to go bonkers about the number of pitches!"

I doubt the plan was for him to throw 22 pitches in the inning. Hopefully it won't effect him in the next start or a couple down the line. I must confess to being in bed long before the 9th last night. Glad to hear Dusty was stewing over this. He certainly seems to have his players emotions and well being in mind- definitely a players' manager. Now if only the other 24 would put up a stink about SS in the 2 spot.... (though Cozy is admittedly hitting better now)
    Last edited by klw; 05-15-2013 at 12:38 PM.

2-3 at bats with any amount of stress.

Otherwise...smoooooth sailing and very easy for Homer.

Great job Dusty.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Homer comes on strong in the late innings when he is good.

Not sure he has this attribute in September/October if he never goes a full game with a full pitch count in May-August.

I think once in awhile, in a lower stress situation, it's a good idea.

I thought Dusty last night was simply hoping in the dugout that he wouldn't need to remove Bailey. It got a little dicey there at the end as the pitch count grew.

If you're looking for a manager who will never push his starting pitcher, Dusty isn't your man. But he hasn't gone overboard IMO.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-15-2013 at 01:49 PM.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Homer comes on strong in the late innings when he is good.

Not sure he has this attribute in September/October if he never goes a full game with a full pitch count in May-August.

I think once in awhile, in a lower stress situation, it's a good idea.

I thought Dusty last night was simply hoping in the dugout that he wouldn't need to remove Bailey. It got a little dicey there at the end as the pitch count grew.

If you're looking for a manager who will never push his starting pitcher, Dusty isn't your man. But he hasn't gone overboard IMO.
    The broadcast last nite in the 9th made it sound like Dusty almost babies them due to him being blamed for Kerry Wood and Mark Prior. I tend to think he has been about average, left guys in a lil long sometime, while taking guys out a lil early others.

He finally took Cozart out of the #2 spot!!!

(And replaced him with Izturis.)
    Last edited by RichRed; 05-15-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    The broadcast last nite in the 9th made it sound like Dusty almost babies them due to him being blamed for Kerry Wood and Mark Prior. I tend to think he has been about average, left guys in a lil long sometime, while taking guys out a lil early others.
    I'd say this - early in his stint, Dusty heavily worked Harang and Arroyo. Forget the SD relief outing, I'm talking more generally. He has always babied the "kids" since he got the Reds job.

I thought last night he was, in a way, announcing that Homer is no longer a "kid."

Agree with your general point overall I think Dusty has been about average in the starting pitcher usage department. He has too heavily ridden some relievers IMO, but that's a different question.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    The shutout ended in the first inning.
    Bah, I meant complete game. I'm a mess in the morning. (When I posted that)

Do we know for a fact that Baker, as opposed to Price, makes the decision as to when to remove a pitcher?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Do we know for a fact that Baker, as opposed to Price, makes the decision as to when to remove a pitcher?
    No, but remember when it works it's Price and when it doesn't it's Baker

19. Likes:

Mutaman (05-15-2013),Tom Servo (05-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No, but remember when it works it's Price and when it doesn't it's Baker
    I don't know, but didn't Dusty hand pick Price, which kinda makes this a vicious circle??

Turn Off Ads?