Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best at bat you've ever seen....

Re: Best at bat you've ever seen....

I'll agree with Bench's 72 HR and Morgan's GW RBI in game 7 of the 75 playoffs. Both were huge to say the least. Perez's HR off Lee was rigth there too. Lee had thrown him that pitch before and Perez popped it up,IIRC. The Big Dog knew what to do with it the 2nd time. Bench also had a big AB against the Reds Sox in game 2 of the 75 WS. Big 9th inning hit to put the Reds ahead in a game they really needed. It would have been tough to have won that series being down 2-0.
    Votto has some of the best AB's I have seen in regular season play. He had one in particular against the Dodgers in LA late in the 2010 season. It was late in the game and he just kept fighting oen tough pitch after another. He finally lined one into LF for the game winning hit after at least seeing 10 pitches. It was just a great AB in a big game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    That was fun to watch. Baseball is more exciting when they don't take forever between pitches.
    It's why I hate to see Bruce bat,he runs halfway to the dugout between pitches.

It's like watching Casey without the amusement.
    May the Lord bless

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    i still think bruce's at bat against sergio romo was the most intense at bat i've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvLVGbNh-0s

such a heartbreaker...
    Exactly what I'm talking about. The tape is cut after each swing to provide continuity.
    May the Lord bless

Thanks for the links guys,great thread.
    May the Lord bless

Here is a great at bat by Barry Larkin I remember watching on television in 1996.

Larkin barely avoids one to the head in the top of the 10th of a tie game. He looked angry to me, but mostly incredibly determined after that pitch. His focus was so apparent. He dug back in and I noticed him open up his stance a bit and scowl at the pitcher. Next pitch, a bomb to left field.

What an awesome baseball moment.

As the article from the Enquirer relates:

Larkin played the role of hero, homering off Toby Borland to open the 10th and break a 4-4 tie. The 1995 National League MVP has hit the Reds' only two homers in four games this year.

''People scoff when I talk about Barry being the best player in the game,'' said Reds manager Ray Knight. ''I've just seen him do whatever it takes time and time and time again. For my money, there's nobody I would pick before Barry Larkin to start a baseball team.''

...As for Larkin, he stood fast after Borland threw a 2-and-1 pitch that nearly beaned him.

''I didn't think he was trying to throw at me,'' Larkin said. ''I really thought the ball was going to hit me in the face. I refocused and regrouped because I said, 'Oh my gosh, I almost got hit in the face.' I didn't try to hit the ball any harder because of that.''
    http://reds.enquirer.com/redsgame0406.html

and from the Philadelphia Enquirer:

In the 10th, Toby Borland began his second inning of pitching. After scrambling out of the way of a high-and-tight fastball, Barry Larkin torched Borland with a smashing homer to left.
    http://articles.philly.com/1996-04-0...-kevin-stocker
    Thank goodness for baseball.

Eric Davis HR off Dave Stewart to win the 1990 World Series in Game 1. Yes, I typed that on purpose.

A great AB doesn't necessarily mean you see a lot of pitches. Eric knew the Reds needed to step up and punch the A's in the mouth, and he did it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Kirk Gibson's HR in Game 1 vs. Dennis Eckersly. The dude could barely walk and he went deep on the best closer in baseball on a 3-1 slider. Clutch.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    Kirk Gibson's HR in Game 1 vs. Dennis Eckersly. The dude could barely walk and he went deep on the best closer in baseball on a 3-1 slider. Clutch.
    This AB always comes to mind. Totally changed the complexion of the series!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    We've all seen ab's where the hitter just battles and battles until he can get something to drive. We've seen the ones that work the count and work the pitch count. We've seen the ones that ruin the "pitchers pitches" and refuse to bite on those "pitcher's pitches". What do you look for in a good at bat?

And for the record, THIS is the best AB I've ever seen...and it's simply due to the mental aspect of it and the intensity. Was it a gimmick? Maybe, but out-thinking the pitcher is what I want to see. Making the PITCHER uncomfortable...you pull that off, and you win.
    I loved this AB. Definitely a back story on this one....would love to know what Lowe was thinking during.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I loved this AB. Definitely a back story on this one....would love to know what Lowe was thinking during.
    It may have had soemthing to do with Dusty and Lowe's fued. That was a good AB. It shows the batter can up the tempo of the pither if he chooses. Liked the way Lowe tried make him skip rope on the 2-2 pitch and Votto just cooly lifted a foot and sat it back down.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I'm a Reds fan, so I can't always be objective, perhaps if I was not a Reds fan I'd consider Carlton Fisk (or Bernie Carbo). I'm not old enough to remember Mazeroski's HR and Bobby Thompson was before my time. So, for me, Kirk Gibson's HR is the single best moment in Baseball history (non-Reds of course).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

George Brett.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?