Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Results 181 to 192 of 192

Thread: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

  1. #181
    Et tu, Brutus? Brutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Posts
    10,570

    Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Again, is it too early to settle the debate on who will be better: Rosenthal vs. Broxton?
    If you're so anxious to exert Rosenthal's perceived superiority over a Reds' player, you should go to CardsZone to do so.

    No one here is going to be eager to let you thump your chest about it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

  2. Likes:

    foxfire123 (06-02-2013)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #182
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    6,039

    Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Again, is it too early to settle the debate on who will be better: Rosenthal vs. Broxton?
    There was a debate over this or you are just trying to be funny?

    Of course...Broxton used to be what Rosenthal is now....then it left him. So watch out for that.

  5. #183
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,667

    Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    There was a debate over this or you are just trying to be funny?

    Of course...Broxton used to be what Rosenthal is now....then it left him. So watch out for that.
    Please scroll back to page 5 or 6 of this conversation as this was a debate that was going on. I believe Rosenthal was called a "middling reliever" by one of the posters here. It's not that I'm thumping my chest, I just have a good memory on the debates we've had here over the years.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  6. #184
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

    So it looks like Friday, it will be Wainwright vs. Leake.

    But Latos would be on 4 days rest....

    I don't know Leake on a personal level so I don't know how he would handle it. But if I thought it wouldn't be too much of an issue to him...yeah, I'd bump Latos up.

  7. #185
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,667

    Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

    I think that would be very risky for the Reds to bump up Latos.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  8. #186
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I think that would be very risky for the Reds to bump up Latos.
    Define risky.

    Again, I don't know the ins and outs of Leake, so if doing so would mess with him I would not do it.

    I always admired TLR's slight re-arranging of pitching staffs in order to matchup well for a big series.

  9. #187
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,715

    Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So it looks like Friday, it will be Wainwright vs. Leake.

    But Latos would be on 4 days rest....

    I don't know Leake on a personal level so I don't know how he would handle it. But if I thought it wouldn't be too much of an issue to him...yeah, I'd bump Latos up.
    Dusty did say he wanted to re-arrange the rotation so that Mes wouldn't be sitting three days in a row, and said that was first date he would be able to do so. Not sure if bumping up Latos does that, however.

    Btw, I have no problem with any Reds pitcher going against any Card pitcher. They all are good for the Reds.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  10. #188
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,066

    Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Dusty did say he wanted to re-arrange the rotation so that Mes wouldn't be sitting three days in a row, and said that was first date he would be able to do so. Not sure if bumping up Latos does that, however.

    Btw, I have no problem with any Reds pitcher going against any Card pitcher. They all are good for the Reds.
    Yeah bumping Latos up probably has a 10 percent shot of actually working out in your favor, a 5 percent chance working against you, and an 85 percent chance of not mattering.

    But it would set a "Here we go, let's do this" vibe to the series, which I would enjoy.

  11. #189
    Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wise, Va.
    Posts
    758

    Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

    It really sucks that Cueto won't be pitching in this series.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

  12. #190
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
    Posts
    769

    Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    It really sucks that Cueto won't be pitching in this series.
    agreed that really sucks

  13. #191
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Ohio
    Posts
    9,052

    Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

    I am way late to this conversation but this is an area I always like to add my .2 cents. First of all I believe it's always important to note that talent and skill are 2 different things and this debate is no different. And if the end result of the argument is to try to give a strong educated guess on who might win the division or who is just better (or might go further) then there is more to consider than just those 2 things, just saying (age/injuries/experience).

    Having said all that I think the talent is pretty close perhaps even slightly in the Reds favor. Skill though IMO is at least marginally in the Cards favor and for me that is why they have been better in the playoffs recently. The Reds simply throw away too many PA's by too many hitters on a regular basis due to a lack of overall polish in approach mainly. The Cards are just smarter hitters basically but they also have fewer physical deficiencies from top to bottom.

    Where they will both be at the end though is debatable for various reasons.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

    --Woody Hayes

  14. #192
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    10,715

    Re: More talent: Reds or Cardinals?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Please scroll back to page 5 or 6 of this conversation as this was a debate that was going on. I believe Rosenthal was called a "middling reliever" by one of the posters here. It's not that I'm thumping my chest, I just have a good memory on the debates we've had here over the years.
    If this is an example, you have a terrible memory, lol.

    I am that poster to whom you are referring, and this is the second time in this thread that incorrectly accused me of saying that Rosenthal was a middling reliever. I even replied the first time, to point out your mistake, to explain that I never called Rosenthal a middling reliever, nor did I think he was one. You had simply mis-read my comment.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25