Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cueto's Return

Re: Cueto's Return

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Even that's not a sure thing. I really think they make the conversion of Arolids next year. So I envision a battle between Leake & Cingrani. I'm hoping that, by then, we've seen the extensions of Homer & Latos.
    I have a hard time believing Dusty would acquiesce on this.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    I see Leake with ability to go deeper in games right now. I'm more concerned about having a rested bullpen then the difference between a 4.32 and 2.89 ERA right now.

It is a gamble as I know every game counts but I see the Reds making playoffs either way. If that starts to look in question than I make the move back to Cingrani.
    There's some good reason's to like keeping Leake at this moment, but the ability to go deeper is 1 out / game right now. 1 Run is not worth asking the bullpen to get 1 more out.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Echoing what someone else said: If Cingrani is sent down, and I expect that to be the case, I'd like to see him convert to a bullpen arm in September and October. He can win Bronson's job next Spring.
    Odds are the Reds are going to need another 6th starter this season. If Cingrani is sent down I don't want him in the pen until late if need be. I would send Leake to long relief and put Cingrani in the rotation if it were up to me. Give Cingrani a longer look until you send him to AAA.

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Assuming everything goes well with this final rehab start, have the Reds announced when Johnny will be back with the big club? I'm hoping for the 20th in NYC, I've got tickets to the game and would feel a lot better about the team's chances of winning with number 47 on the hill.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfaninbsg View Post
    Assuming everything goes well with this final rehab start, have the Reds announced when Johnny will be back with the big club? I'm hoping for the 20th in NYC, I've got tickets to the game and would feel a lot better about the team's chances of winning with number 47 on the hill.
    Marty just said the plan would be for Cueto to start Monday (May 20),
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Cueto went 5 with 3 Hits, no runs, no walks and 4 ks. I know it's low A, but unless he has some soreness, he'll make his next start for the Reds.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I was at The Dragons game tonight. Johnny looked good.

He showed no signs of soreness and his stuff looked very good, especially after he had time to get loose. He was hitting 95 with regularity in the 5th inning.
    Last edited by The Operator; 05-15-2013 at 04:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Marty just said the plan would be for Cueto to start Monday (May 20),
    Excellent. I'm taking my son to that game for his birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by UCBrownsfan View Post
    There's some good reason's to like keeping Leake at this moment, but the ability to go deeper is 1 out / game right now. 1 Run is not worth asking the bullpen to get 1 more out.
    From the game logs at baseball reference (They round IP)

Cingrani 5 starts 28 IP 5.6 IP/start
    Leake 7 starts 47 IP 6.7 IP/start

That's a pretty significant difference.
    Plus, Cingrani seems to reach 100 pitches quickly. Often, he's not pulled because he's doing poorly. He's getting pulled because of pitch counts.

The big things in my decision making process is.
    1. Leake can't be sent to AAA
    2. Leake was ineffective in the BP the last time they put him there
    3. Cingrani needs to work on his secondary pitches
    4. Cingrani's workload is better managed at AAA, he can be called up as a bullpen arm for the playoffs.
    5. Keeping Cingrani at AAA gives us great depth when another starting pitcher gets hurt. (If you bullpen Leake, he has to transition back to a starter possibly)
    6. Even if Leake was effective out of the pen, what purpose would he serve there?
    With a 12 man pitching staff, Logan and Simon don't exactly get a lot of work.
    I'm guessing Logan is bumped to AAA or off the team, so Leake takes his role (which really isn't important).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

11. Likes:

jimbo (05-15-2013),RadfordVA (05-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    From the game logs at baseball reference (They round IP)

Cingrani 5 starts 28 IP 5.6 IP/start
    Leake 7 starts 47 IP 6.7 IP/start

That's a pretty significant difference.
    Plus, Cingrani seems to reach 100 pitches quickly. Often, he's not pulled because he's doing poorly. He's getting pulled because of pitch counts.

The big things in my decision making process is.
    1. Leake can't be sent to AAA
    2. Leake was ineffective in the BP the last time they put him there
    3. Cingrani needs to work on his secondary pitches
    4. Cingrani's workload is better managed at AAA, he can be called up as a bullpen arm for the playoffs.
    5. Keeping Cingrani at AAA gives us great depth when another starting pitcher gets hurt. (If you bullpen Leake, he has to transition back to a starter possibly)
    6. Even if Leake was effective out of the pen, what purpose would he serve there?
    With a 12 man pitching staff, Logan and Simon don't exactly get a lot of work.
    I'm guessing Logan is bumped to AAA or off the team, so Leake takes his role (which really isn't important).
    That number of IP for Leake surprised me, so I looked at his regular stats (not game logs) on B-R, and they have him at 41.2, which is 5.95 innings per start.

Cingrani's doing a great job and we couldn't ask more from him. Hopefully he'll be an anchor for the Reds rotation for years to come.

But remember just a few short years ago the Reds had a rookie pitcher start out like gangbusters and now he's the RedsZone Whipping Boy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

14. Likes:

mth123 (05-15-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

From Fay:

No. 1 starter Johnny Cueto will return the rotation Monday against the Mets in New York.

Cueto has been on the disabled list since April 15 with a lat strain. He went five shutout innings Tuesday night for Single-A Dayton in his second rehab start. He allowed three hits, walked none and struck out four. He threw 58 pitches and then threw another 23 in the bullpen after leaving the game.

“We anticipated he’d be good,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said.

Cueto’s first start will fall on right-hander Mike Leake’s day. The Reds have not announced whether Cueto will replace Leake or left-hander Tony Cingrani in the rotation. Cingrani is 2-0 with a 2.89 ERA in five starts since taking over for Cueto.

But the Reds are looking forward to Cueto’s return.

“It’ll be a big boost to get him back,” Baker said. “The guy is a first-line pitcher for a reason. The guys have done a great job, but we need Johnny Cueto back. He’s not only the best on our team, but he’s one of the best in the league.”

Turn Off Ads?