Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lutz going on?

Re: Lutz going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Is it just me or does Lutz physically look a bit like Matt Kemp?

If he is 1/3 the player Kemp is, he'll be a good one.

In the meantime, I'd keep letting him play at least until the trade market heats up over the next month.
    Physically, Lutz reminds me of a young Cliff Floyd.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Lutz has done well, likely headed to AAA.
    Yeah, that will be interesting to see (AA or AAA).
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Dude smacks the ball. Encouraging young bat.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Lutz is very physically impress and seems like a really good dude, I'm definitely rooting for him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Lutz is very physically impress and seems like a really good dude, I'm definitely rooting for him.
    Kind of what I was looking for.

I never meant that I thought he should start or stay up here. I was just curious what people think.

I agree the interesting question will be will he go back to AA or get moved up to AAA since he is hitting major league pitching now.

I like Lutz's 2 K's in 19 AB's. Obviously small sample size. But Heisey's got 20 K's in 75 AB's, and 2 W's. 10 to 1 K to W ratio is cause for concern. I look at these things from the pitcher's standpoint, and this tells me nobody is afraid to throw the ball in the zone to Heisey and that he can't control very much of the zone. I fully expect the FO will send Lutz down, hopefully to AAA but maybe to AA, and reinstate Heisey. But, IMHO, we are reaching decision time about Heisey.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I like Lutz's 2 K's in 19 AB's. Obviously small sample size. But Heisey's got 20 K's in 75 AB's, and 2 W's. 10 to 1 K to W ratio is cause for concern. I look at these things from the pitcher's standpoint, and this tells me nobody is afraid to throw the ball in the zone to Heisey and that he can't control very much of the zone. I fully expect the FO will send Lutz down, hopefully to AAA but maybe to AA, and reinstate Heisey. But, IMHO, we are reaching decision time about Heisey.
    Lutz needs to go to AA. He is hitting .231 in 250 plate appearances at that level.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Lutz needs to go to AA. He is hitting .231 in 250 plate appearances at that level.
    That makes sense. I'm more worried about Heisey.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Considering our other options in LF, I'm OK with the current (strange) platoon of Paul and Lutz... who are both left-handed hitters. Obviously it won't be like this for long, but I don't mind it for now. I like both of these guys.

(I ate ribs with this dude!)

He has already shown the kind of bat speed you don't see all that often. The HR he hit today was an impressive example. 95 mph up and in and he turned on it like "the Cobra" used to. He might have some undiscovered weaknesses, but with that kind of bat speed you have to be cautiously optimistic about his future in the bigs.

BTW, based on what he has already shown, I'd give him a run of starts against RH pitchers NOW and let him go on unless ant until he shows he can't do the job.

He might just be a lot closer to the finished project than we expect.

I'm disappointed Dusty hasn't given him more starts while Heisey's been out. I tend to think he'll be exploited but we need to see that for ourselves. If/when he does get exploited, send him down and let him learn from it. I think this has been a wasted opportunity. It's a done deal that he'll be the one sent out seeing as how they've used him

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm disappointed Dusty hasn't given him more starts while Heisey's been out. I tend to think he'll be exploited but we need to see that for ourselves. If/when he does get exploited, send him down and let him learn from it. I think this has been a wasted opportunity. It's a done deal that he'll be the one sent out seeing as how they've used him
    Sometimes you just know a guy will be exploited. Again, Lutz has 250 PA's in AA and is hitting .231. He wasn't going to come up and start.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sometimes you just know a guy will be exploited. Again, Lutz has 250 PA's in AA and is hitting .231. He wasn't going to come up and start.
    Again, I repeat.......the purpose of this thread isn't to state that Lutz is ready, or should be starting in LF, etc.........it's simply to get people's take on what he's shown so far.

It's very clear to everyone he will be sent back down. That's not even debatable.

I slightly disagree about being sent back to double AA simply because every one of our minor leaguers pretty much had very slow starts.......like it was ugly all over every level for the most part other than a few guys. Lutz numbers could simply be attributed to a slow start at double AA. Just like Billy is starting to come on at Louisville, maybe the majors were just what Lutz needed to get going.

If they send him to double AA, that's fine. Let him earn a promotion. But I wouldn't mind seeing him at triple AAA, because I think there's a chance he simply started slow like everyone else from Dayton, Bakersfield, Pensacola and Louisville.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Again, I repeat.......the purpose of this thread isn't to state that Lutz is ready, or should be starting in LF, etc.........it's simply to get people's take on what he's shown so far.

It's very clear to everyone he will be sent back down. That's not even debatable.

I slightly disagree about being sent back to double AA simply because every one of our minor leaguers pretty much had very slow starts.......like it was ugly all over every level for the most part other than a few guys. Lutz numbers could simply be attributed to a slow start at double AA. Just like Billy is starting to come on at Louisville, maybe the majors were just what Lutz needed to get going.

If they send him to double AA, that's fine. Let him earn a promotion. But I wouldn't mind seeing him at triple AAA, because I think there's a chance he simply started slow like everyone else from Dayton, Bakersfield, Pensacola and Louisville.
    I was specifically responding to someone else, so what this thread started as isn't what it evolved into.

Lutz didn't just start slow at AA this year. He couldn't hit there last year either.

I love his bat speed and his swing. That's all I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?