Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lutz going on?

Re: Lutz going on?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They can option Robinson correct? He does bring soeed and some decent defense, but that's what Heisey brings with more offensive potential. Seems to me that there are two redundancies on the roster. If Lutz and Paul are redundant, so are Heisey and Robinson IMO. I'd keep Lutz in there against RHP until he stops hitting. If it means that Robinson has to go down for a while, so be it. They should probably take their time with Heisey's rehab. Get him 6 or 7 games to get in a groove. Meanwhile, Lutz plays a lot. If he hits, he stays and Heisey assumes Robinson's role until Lutz stops hitting and goes back down to finsih his development. At that point, Robinson, Perez or some other player who may fill a need can come up.
    I don't think it would be prudent to stunt any progress Lutz still might make as a hitter by playing him a third of the time or less in the bigs. Do even the most optimistic of us think he'd hit better than .250 w 7 HRs in 180-200 ABs? What would that even be worth to this ballclub?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sorry, mth, I misread the end of your above post that I quoted.

To address Vottomatic's point, I think it speaks volumes about Lutz's compsure and mental approach to the game with the success he's had in a pinch hitting role. He's also a lot better put together than I expected. I like the Cliff Floyd comparison and would maybe toss Bobby Bo out there as well.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Lutz needs to go to AA. He is hitting .231 in 250 plate appearances at that level.
    He was bouncing back off injury in a lot of his AA ABs last year.

He was hitting very well in the Arizona Fall League last year before he got hurt, and that league is AA at least.

Look at what he's done in his initial exposure in the bigs, which is on the heels of a big spring training.

Add it up, and you've got AAA at least, IMO.

Sometimes a player needs to be challenged in order to rise to the level of his abilities and thrive. Lutz is showing he may be one of those guys. Hit the accelerator, not the brakes, with this kid.

5. Likes:

Always Red (05-15-2013),Revering4Blue (05-13-2013),Vottomatic (05-13-2013)

Lutz looks good so far. Good bat speed. He probably does need more seasoning since he's not even played that much in AA. Thom or the Cowboy mentioned that Robinson had some sort of mild oblique strain in one of the games over the weekend. I think I heard that correctly? If so, then Robinson may get DL'd when Heisey comes off of it. Lutz may get to stick around a little longer if that's the case.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Lutz looks good so far. Good bat speed. He probably does need more seasoning since he's not even played that much in AA. Thom or the Cowboy mentioned that Robinson had some sort of mild oblique strain in one of the games over the weekend. I think I heard that correctly? If so, then Robinson may get DL'd when Heisey comes off of it. Lutz may get to stick around a little longer if that's the case.
    I think what you heard was Thom stating he was surprised that Robinson was hitting righty due to a previous oblique strain he's been working through. He apparently is making good progress to test it out in game situations.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sometimes you just know a guy will be exploited. Again, Lutz has 250 PA's in AA and is hitting .231. He wasn't going to come up and start.
    He doesn't seem like a guy you'd want to call up just to hit 5 times in a week and rot on the bench. To his credit, he did very well in that role but isn't he someone who needs lots of ABs no matter where he is? Going forward is he someone that you want to sit and wait for a PH opportunity? He needs to play

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I like Lutz's 2 K's in 19 AB's. Obviously small sample size. But Heisey's got 20 K's in 75 AB's, and 2 W's. 10 to 1 K to W ratio is cause for concern. I look at these things from the pitcher's standpoint, and this tells me nobody is afraid to throw the ball in the zone to Heisey and that he can't control very much of the zone. I fully expect the FO will send Lutz down, hopefully to AAA but maybe to AA, and reinstate Heisey. But, IMHO, we are reaching decision time about Heisey.
    Not to burst your bubble, but Lutz has 132 k's in 130 games played the last two seasons. So yeah, he has a lot of swing and miss in his game.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sometimes you just know a guy will be exploited. Again, Lutz has 250 PA's in AA and is hitting .231. He wasn't going to come up and start.
    Do you honestly think Dusty cares about those numbers? I dont think so. Dusty compares him to McCovey and Stargell. And the numbers he put up in The MLB, Spring 2013 and AFL 2012 show absolutely no exploitation if Dusty or anyone did care to look.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

I think that the minors does give a good assessment on a players' devlopment and abilities in professional baseball majority of the time. However, sometimes guys just thrive in the big show. Look at Frazier, he wasn't really knocking the cover off the ball out of AAA last year, but an injury to Rolen and then Votto got him called up and playing time. He nearly got ROY despite not coming up until later in the season and, combined with Ludwick, helped to take this team to the playoffs last year.

I am not saying that Lutz is going to pan out the same way as Frazier did last year, but maybe he is just one of those guys who does better in the majors. I know that yesterday's game, Thom mentioned he was on a 5 game hitting streak or something like that which is impressive because he just got his major league hit a week ago. He only started two of those games too.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Not to burst your bubble, but Lutz has 132 k's in 130 games played the last two seasons. So yeah, he has a lot of swing and miss in his game.
    So he's averaging roughly a strikeout per game. Look at Stubbs and Bruce recently. They're worse, yet more experienced.

Plus, I think the pitchers in the lower levels of the minor leagues have more control issues than the ones in the higher levels. And aggressive hitters will tend to swing at pitches out of the k zone more often.

Lutz would see better pitching at triple A, and probably less control issues too. The ball would be more around the plate (hopefully), like it would be in the majors.

I don't know as much about him as others, but I don't see where it would hurt for him to go to triple A. If he fails miserably, send him back to Pensacola. They sent Yorman back to Dayton last season after failing miserably at Bakersfield.

No bubble. I wasn't making any great claims for Lutz, just pointing out that in his very limited appearances with the Reds, his K to AB ratio has been good--something one can't say for the guy we all seem to assume is just automatically going to replace him when he's ready. I'd say Lutz's K ratios in the minors are on the edge of what is acceptable for a player with significant power--e.g. in 2012 he K'd 107 times in 416 AB's at his two levels and K'd about 3 times for every W; or, in his 225 AA AB's over two seasons, he has K'd 53 times in 225 (over against 20 W's). These are acceptable rates if he continues to produce with power. On the other hand--as a caveat about Lutz--they're not as good as Heisey's upper minor rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    So he's averaging roughly a strikeout per game. Look at Stubbs and Bruce recently. They're worse, yet more experienced.

Plus, I think the pitchers in the lower levels of the minor leagues have more control issues than the ones in the higher levels. And aggressive hitters will tend to swing at pitches out of the k zone more often.

Lutz would see better pitching at triple A, and probably less control issues too. The ball would be more around the plate (hopefully), like it would be in the majors.

I don't know as much about him as others, but I don't see where it would hurt for him to go to triple A. If he fails miserably, send him back to Pensacola. They sent Yorman back to Dayton last season after failing miserably at Bakersfield.
    The poster had shown Lutz had a nice K rate in the majors so far, so I was just pointing out that it was just a sample size mirage. Lutz has in fact K'd a lot and not walked much in the minros. It was all I was showing.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

15. Likes:

Vottomatic (05-13-2013)

The poster had shown Lutz had a nice K rate in the majors so far, so I was just pointing out that it was just a sample size mirage. Lutz has in fact K'd a lot and not walked much in the minros. It was all I was showing.
    Poster had said in his original post, "obviously small sample size."

17. Likes:

Vottomatic (05-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Poster had said in his original post, "obviously small sample size."

19. Likes:

Vottomatic (05-13-2013)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I gave you all "likes".

Simply put, I think Lutz has plenty of potential and I hope the Reds stick with his development in the minors, and don't trade him. And man, when he is at the plate, as I said before, he looks very imposing.

21. Likes:

CySeymour (05-13-2013),Old school 1983 (05-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?