Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lutz going on?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Lutz going on?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He doesn't seem like a guy you'd want to call up just to hit 5 times in a week and rot on the bench. To his credit, he did very well in that role but isn't he someone who needs lots of ABs no matter where he is? Going forward is he someone that you want to sit and wait for a PH opportunity? He needs to play
    He is up for his two weeks. Everyone knew it, including him. He got the call because he was literally one of two options on the 40-man roster. If Chris Heisey tore his ACL, Lutz wouldn't have been the guy called up because you are right, he does need to play, and the Reds wouldn't have put him in a scenario where he would be a bench guy for the next 4 months because they know he isn't ready to play here every day. They would have called up Perez or Phipps for the bench role. But since they only needed someone for a few weeks, they can sit Lutz and use him as a spot starter and pinch hitter, then send him back to where he needs to be, the minors.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He is up for his two weeks. Everyone knew it, including him. He got the call because he was literally one of two options on the 40-man roster. If Chris Heisey tore his ACL, Lutz wouldn't have been the guy called up because you are right, he does need to play, and the Reds wouldn't have put him in a scenario where he would be a bench guy for the next 4 months because they know he isn't ready to play here every day. They would have called up Perez or Phipps for the bench role. But since they only needed someone for a few weeks, they can sit Lutz and use him as a spot starter and pinch hitter, then send him back to where he needs to be, the minors.
    I get all that but what would have been the harm in getting him more starts against certain RHPs? I think that would have been the better way to handle the situation

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I get all that but what would have been the harm in getting him more starts against certain RHPs? I think that would have been the better way to handle the situation
    Because Xavier Paul is the next guy in line and is more suited to handle the job at this point.

Because Xavier Paul is the next guy in line and is more suited to handle the job at this point.
    If your answer is" because we didn't want to slight Xavier Paul" then do you have any idea how weak that sounds?

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but what specifically do you mean by Paul is more suited to handle the job?

Hey did any of you guys know that Lutz is from Germany? i am surprised no one has mentioned that in the media.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Hey did any of you guys know that Lutz is from Germany? i am surprised no one has mentioned that in the media.
    Yes, but born in NY, which is why it's probably not as big of a deal. Plus, although he grew up in Germany, I believe it was on a U.S. military base (or something to that effect). So, we're not exactly talking about someone with Dirk Nowitzki's background or it would certainly be a bigger deal.

Of note, Dirk tweeted Lutz to congratulate him after his first MLB hit as you might know.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yes, but born in NY, which is why it's probably not as big of a deal. Plus, although he grew up in Germany, I believe it was on a U.S. military base (or something to that effect). So, we're not exactly talking about someone with Dirk Nowitzki's background or it would certainly be a bigger deal.

Of note, Dirk tweeted Lutz to congratulate him after his first MLB hit as you might know.
    Sorry my sarcasmographer must not be on full throttle today, I was poking fun at the fact every article I have seen on Lutz writes his name as "Donald Lutz, the first major league player raised in Germany,"

Sorry my sarcasmographer must not be on full throttle today, I was poking fun at the fact every article I have seen on Lutz writes his name as "Donald Lutz, the first major league player raised in Germany,"
    Actually, mom and dad met while dad was stationed in Germany with the Army. They moved to NY, Donald was born here but moved to Germany when the parents divorced when he was 8 months old. He carries dual citizenship. (all from an interview with him done during the WBC)

ETA: article link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...revolving-door
    Last edited by foxfire123; 05-13-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Ha, I gotcha bro. And I'll apologize right back at you: Usually my awareness of others' sarcasm is more on-point.

How can you not be going nutz for Lutz right now?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    If you ask some well known posters around here he has zero trade value and isn't even an asset and he's certain to be exploited and needs to be in AA.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Lutz has yet to draw a walk. On the flip side he's only struck out 3 times in 31 PAs, though his minor league record suggests he's a free swinger.

We'll have to see more before going nutz, i guess.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I like Paul and I know the Reds like Paul but when Heisey comes back, it may not be such a cut and dried choice to send Lutz down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Fun (true) fact. The first sentence in Lutz's profile in the 2013 Reds Media Guide reads, "Last name rhymes with nuts"

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/f...edia_guide.jsp

17. Likes:

Tom Servo (05-19-2013)

Turn Off Ads?