Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lutz going on?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Lutz going on?

Marvin Gaye would be proud. But I digress.

What do you think of Lutz so far? Small sample size I know.

Dude is imposing as a hitter. Big guy. But not fat. Just big and muscular looking.

I hope he continues to pan out.

2. Likes:

cincinnati chili (11-26-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Lutz going on?

He'll be sent out as soon as Heisey is available I guess.

Robinson brings more flexibility an plays a pretty good CF.

If Lutz stays, he would take Paul's spot, which will not happen.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think he needs time in the minors still. He has done well in his limited time, but facing Major Leaguers every day would not be a good thing for him, at least yet. Great bat speed, great power. Pretty aggressive though and I think that would be exploited if he saw guys every day.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Robinson brings more flexibility an plays a pretty good CF.

If Lutz stays, he would take Paul's spot, which will not happen.
    I think the Reds have to be pleased with the production from all three of those guys so far.

When it comes to RHP, I'd start any one of them over Heisey. But with Baker, I'm afraid that we'll be back to square one when he returns.

But yeah, I'll hate to see it, but it looks like Lutz gets optioned.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Paul, Lutz and Robinson are currently #5, #6 and #9 on the Reds in OPS.

Manny Parra is tied with Ludwick for #1.

No surprises at #3 and #4.

Heisey is #18.
    Last edited by malcontent; 05-12-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

The only way to justify keeping Lutz on the MLB roster after Heisey is activated, is to annoint him the everyday starting LF until Ludwick comes back. And that wouldn't be the best move for the Reds this season.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Isn't it odd how Reds players seem to get hurt when they are going poorly? Hanigan. Parra. Heisey.

Could be that they are struggling BECAUSE of injury. Or maybe it's a way to use a minor injury to let a guy rest and practice and hopefully get over their slumps.

I hope the Reds don't just hand Heisey the LF job when he returns. I'd much rather see him share LF with Paul and Robinson for now. Lutz has done well, likely headed to AAA.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-12-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Lutz looks good. Compact, vicious stroke. Underrated athlete. Possibly the LF of the near future. Significantly better prospect than he's been given credit for around here.

Power like his doesn't grow on trees.

11. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-12-2013),smixsell (05-12-2013),wlf WV (05-13-2013)

I'm assuming he's sent back down but only b/c of the numbers game. The Reds aren't ditching X-Paul and Robinson brings the ability to hit RH, run and play CF.

When Ludwick comes back I could actually see the Reds moving DFA'ing Heisey and then trading him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

The saying goes:

Coddle thy pitchers, but challenge thy hitters.

My own addendum is:

When a pitcher appears ready, he's ready. When a hitter appears ready, he may not be.

I think Lutz may not be ready. He's just feasting on the league trying to figure him out. The real talent in the majors is being able to adjust, both mentally and with technique, to the way the opposition tries to get you out. When Lutz has the tools and mental capability to adjust, he'll be ready. That may be right now, but I doubt it. He probably needs more seasoning.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

wlf WV (05-13-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

3-1 K/BB ratio for his career in the minors.

I'll defer to people that have watched him play more extensively, but I really don't see anything particularly special about Lutz.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

They can option Robinson correct? He does bring soeed and some decent defense, but that's what Heisey brings with more offensive potential. Seems to me that there are two redundancies on the roster. If Lutz and Paul are redundant, so are Heisey and Robinson IMO. I'd keep Lutz in there against RHP until he stops hitting. If it means that Robinson has to go down for a while, so be it. They should probably take their time with Heisey's rehab. Get him 6 or 7 games to get in a groove. Meanwhile, Lutz plays a lot. If he hits, he stays and Heisey assumes Robinson's role until Lutz stops hitting and goes back down to finsih his development. At that point, Robinson, Perez or some other player who may fill a need can come up.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

17. Likes:

wlf WV (05-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    They can option Robinson correct? He does bring soeed and some decent defense, but that's what Heisey brings with more offensive potential. Seems to me that there are two redundancies on the roster. If Lutz and Paul are redundant, so are Heisey and Robinson IMO. I'd keep Lutz in there against RHP until he stops hitting. If it means that Robinson has to go down for a while, so be it. They should probably take their time with Heisey's rehab. Get him 6 or 7 games to get in a groove. Meanwhile, Lutz plays a lot. If he hits, he stays and Heisey assumes Robinson's role until Lutz stops hitting and goes back down to finsih his development. At that point, Robinson, Perez or some other player who may fill a need can come up.
    I have a different take on this one, mth. I think Lutz should go down, albeit to AAA, and play everyday.

Robinson adds a dimension. He's the fastest guy on the team, he slaps the ball around, can cover ground in the outfield, switch hitter.

I know Dusty won't, but I would -- platoon Paul and Heisey in LF. Use Robinson as pinch runner, defensive replacement, occasional pinch hitter, occasional starter to give someone a rest.

The best argument for Lutz is that if Paul plays, Lutz becomes a needed lefty pinch hitter. Not a bad argument, but I'd go with Robinson.

I'd limit Heisey to LH pitching at this point. Last year Heisey hit lefties much better than righties and this year his biggest woes have been against RHP. I don't think Dusty will play it that way, I think Heisey will start most games in LF.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-12-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Is it just me or does Lutz physically look a bit like Matt Kemp?

If he is 1/3 the player Kemp is, he'll be a good one.

In the meantime, I'd keep letting him play at least until the trade market heats up over the next month.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I have a different take on this one, mth. I think Lutz should go down, albeit to AAA, and play everyday.

Robinson adds a dimension. He's the fastest guy on the team, he slaps the ball around, can cover ground in the outfield, switch hitter.

I know Dusty won't, but I would -- platoon Paul and Heisey in LF. Use Robinson as pinch runner, defensive replacement, occasional pinch hitter, occasional starter to give someone a rest.

The best argument for Lutz is that if Paul plays, Lutz becomes a needed lefty pinch hitter. Not a bad argument, but I'd go with Robinson.

I'd limit Heisey to LH pitching at this point. Last year Heisey hit lefties much better than righties and this year his biggest woes have been against RHP. I don't think Dusty will play it that way, I think Heisey will start most games in LF.
    Don't get me wrong, I think Lutz hot hitting will stop at some point.When it does, he'll become another interchangeable part. Until then, he's the only guy among the LF candidates that can be a game changer. I'd ride that until it stops and then let him go down and finish his development. Paul, Robinson, Heisey, Perez, Fellhauer, Phipps, et al can be guys who could contribute at times and bring an element to the team, but a hot hitting Lutz seems more than that. When the league figures him out, he can go down and hopefully complete his game and become a long term contributor. But if he seems to be a guy who could be Kevin Maas circa 1990, I'd let him do it until he goes south.

Funny, I have the entirely opposite opinion on letting Lutz play until he fails that I do with Cigrani. I think Tony needs to go down and work on his other pitches. It's mostly because I think Cingrani can improve those pitches in a couple months and become a real depth option and not just a temporary, "while he's hot" guy. In Lutz case, we've already gotten more from him than I ever expected in 2013. I'd ride him until it stops and then let the others take over. If nothing else, it buys time until Ludwick returns or the trade market opens up a bit. He may go into a funk tomorrow and it become a short ride, but I keep putting him in there until he stops hitting.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

Sea Ray (05-12-2013),smixsell (05-12-2013)

Turn Off Ads?