Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lutz going on?

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Re: Lutz going on?

Given the recent revelation that Lutz is kinda German, I will be anxiously awaiting an opportunity to use the term "schadenfreude" in a thread about him.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Something to consider concerning Lutz offensive abilities. He's an in progress player (as opposed to Paul or Heisey) who struggled in his transition to AA but hit well in the AFL and continued to develop in the WBC. This season he hit well in spring and started out with an .807 OPS in AA in spite of a .220 BABIP. He may not be as far away from being ready as many on here are assuming. He's definitely got more potential than any of the other candidates. Paul might be OK and Heisey has had flashes, but Lutz strikes me as a guy who could have above average every day talent. I'm more impressed by his defense than anything. I expected a lumbering clod, but he's very agile IMO and seems to know his way around the OF. He's already a better defender than Paul IMO and I think he improves every day. When Heisey returns, he provides most of the things Robinson does (and some that he doesn't). I don't think sending Lutz down is so automatic. He seems like a difference maker IMO which I prefer to the stopgaps that the other choices represent. I'd play him until he stops hitting.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

4. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-19-2013),REDREAD (05-21-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Actually, mom and dad met while dad was stationed in Germany with the Army. They moved to NY, Donald was born here but moved to Germany when the parents divorced when he was 8 months old. He carries dual citizenship. (all from an interview with him done during the WBC)

ETA: article link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...revolving-door
    Listening to the Phillies broadcast, they talked about Lutz being raised in Germany and going through the MLB academy in Italy. Sounds like there are a number of German prospects in the minors, but Lutz is the first to get a shot in the bigs. Many European countries have pro or semi-pro baseball clubs. From what I saw in the early '90s, teams were about the level of good high school teams, with the difference being that half the players were college age. Sounds like the influence of the Olympics in the '90s and '00s and the WBC has raised baseball's profile beyond the cities with US Army bases and some good young players are starting to progress. I liken baseball in Europe to pre-MLS soccer in the US. There are plenty of talented kids playing the game, but there aren't enough clubs at the upper levels to provide opportunities for further development.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Lutz reminds me a little of Kal Daniels as a hitter but I must say he is missing a huge part of Kal's offensive game and that is power to the opposite field. Everything I've seen of Lutz has involved balls pulled to RF. I'd like to see him develop a stroke to LF like Votto has.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Fun (true) fact. The first sentence in Lutz's profile in the 2013 Reds Media Guide reads, "Last name rhymes with nuts"

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/cin/f...edia_guide.jsp
    Actually, though it is funny, it is also probably necessary. I went to school with several people named Lutz, and they all pronounced it so that it rhymed with "flutes". Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz, who became somewhat of a media celebrity a couple of years ago when all of the wild animals escaped from the farm outside of Zanesville, pronounces it this way.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Actually, though it is funny, it is also probably necessary. I went to school with several people named Lutz, and they all pronounced it so that it rhymed with "flutes". Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz, who became somewhat of a media celebrity a couple of years ago when all of the wild animals escaped from the farm outside of Zanesville, pronounces it this way.
    That would be a more correct German pronunciation.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    . He's already a better defender than Paul IMO and I think he improves every day. When Heisey returns, he provides most of the things Robinson does (and some that he doesn't). I don't think sending Lutz down is so automatic. He seems like a difference maker IMO which I prefer to the stopgaps that the other choices represent. I'd play him until he stops hitting.
    I really liked how Lutz went after a ball hit to LF early in the Met's game yesterday.
    Even though Lutz slipped a bit on the play, the guy really moved and hustled.
    I realize hustle doesn't always equal results, but it's fun to watch the guy play.

If Lutz can fill in some of LF until Ludwick gets back, that would be a huge success for the Reds farm system.. Of course, he may crash to earth, but he's playing well so far.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Bumping this thread because Lutz seems to be a forgotten man. He no longer qualifies as a rookie, so he's not on any prospect lists. The Reds have 5 veterans (Bruce, Luddy, Skippy, Heisey and Paul), a guy who was there all year (Robinson), their speed demon phenom (Billy H), a big bonus guy and a 2nd round pick just added to the 40 man (Duran and Lamarre) and three other OF in the top 6 prospects (Winker, Ervin and Y-Rod). Lost in it all is Donald Lutz who still seems like a good prospect to me. If he was eligible, he'd be in the 10 to 15 range on the prospect lists IMO.

He battled injuries and down time on the big league roster, but he's still an impressive specimen with uber bat speed, a nice swing and more agility in the OF than anyone would believe given his size. A lefty bat who might make an impact in 2014, he's not really a guy to jump ahead of the others, but he could come fast. He's getting some needed PT in Mexico and in about 90 PAs so far he is sitting at .321/.389/.519/.907.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-25-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

JayStubbs (11-25-2013),mace (11-25-2013),Old school 1983 (11-26-2013),REDREAD (11-26-2013),Tom Servo (11-26-2013)

The dude can book it around the bases, he's a big athlete. I hope he does get some more opportunities.

13. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-26-2013)

Bump because Lutz has been released.

Auf wiedersehen, Lutz. I wish the Reds would have given you more of a chance last year when Votto went down.

15. Likes:

SirFelixCat (06-03-2015)

Ah man, that sucks he gets released while injured, even though it's the right call. Lutz seems like a good dude, hope he lands on his feet.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Ah man, that sucks he gets released while injured, even though it's the right call. Lutz seems like a good dude, hope he lands on his feet.
    At least they will pay for his medical care/rehab, and for the rest of the season.

So long Lutz.
    Go Gators!

I can understand the decision and I think it is the right call, for a german reds fan it is still bad. they don´t talk about baseball in german media anyway but they did sometimes talk about the reds with lutz which was better than nothing
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

20. Likes:

Big Klu (06-03-2015),KittyDuran (06-03-2015)

The Lutzstache is gone. A moment of silence, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

22. Likes:

BluegrassRedleg (06-03-2015)

Turn Off Ads?