Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marshall on DL: Parra off DL

Marshall on DL: Parra off DL

From Reds Twitter

@Reds: Sean Marshall to disabled list with sprained left shoulder, Manny Parra reinstated from the disabled list.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Marshall on DL: Parra off DL

I'm afraid Marshall's shoulder is going to bark all season. Don't think we are going to be able to count on him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Gonna have to dumpster dive for a lefty reliever, or can Arredondo's effectiveness against lefties be the answer? (Yes, I understand Parra already is essentially a dumpster dive.)

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Gonna have to dumpster dive for a lefty reliever, or can Arredondo's effectiveness against lefties be the answer? (Yes, I understand Parra already is essentially a dumpster dive.)
    Arredondo has 20 walks in 21 innings at AAA with a 4.25 ERA. Against lefties he has a 5 plus ERA and more walks than innings pitched.

IMO if you need a lefty, get a lefty. Don't rely on these reverse splits that never seem to hold up over the long term.

Too bad about Marshall, now I would give Parra a shot. But he needs to pitch almost exclusively against lefties. He showed promise against lefties as a reliever in 2012.

If they look at Parra as a former starter who should work long stints, it will backfire IMO. Treat him as essentially a LOOGY, to use a term I dislike.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-24-2013 at 03:13 PM.

I wish they would come up with a plan for getting this right with Marshall and using him properly. The non-DL experience to open the year, the soon-thereafter trip to the DL, the no appearance for a week in early May. I hope they just keep him out until they get him healthy and strong enough for the second half. I raised this at the time of the non-DL that if they did a half job on things it could linger and my fears are playing out. They need a plan for Marshall and they need to follow it.

And for Donald Lutz:
    Last edited by klw; 05-24-2013 at 03:17 PM.

These hypothetical joke threads really need to stop. I mean, reinstate Parra? Funny, but let's have more serious discussions

9. Likes:

Larry Schuler (05-24-2013),SirFelixCat (05-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    These hypothetical joke threads really need to stop. I mean, reinstate Parra? Funny, but let's have more serious discussions
    Parra held opposing lefty hitters to a .635 OPS last season. If he's used properly, virtully only against lefties, he can be effective.

He was much worse against righties last year, which was his first as a reliever.

Use him correctly, this can work until Marshall returns. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I wish they would come up with a plan for getting this right with Marshall and using him properly. The non-DL experience to open the year, the soon-thereafter trip to the DL, the no appearance for a week in early May. I hope they just keep him out until they get him healthy and strong enough for the second half. I raised this at the time of the non-DL that if they did a half job on things it could linger and my fears are playing out. They need a plan for Marshall and they need to follow it.
    So you're suggesting we look at some European leagues for a LHP. Interesting...

12. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (05-24-2013)

Jose Arredondo has only pitched once since May 14th. His last appearance was on May 18th. I wonder if something is amiss with him?

Its time to find an established at least average lefty reliever.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Jose Arredondo has only pitched once since May 14th. His last appearance was on May 18th. I wonder if something is amiss with him?
    Something is amiss. It's called "walks."

Parra will do the job. Parra will do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Parra held opposing lefty hitters to a .635 OPS last season. If he's used properly, virtully only against lefties, he can be effective.

He was much worse against righties last year, which was his first as a reliever.

Use him correctly, this can work until Marshall returns. I think.
    Just out of curiosity, did you think they were using him correctly at the beginning of the season?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Jeez. I was a fan of the trade when it happened (and all of last year). But sure looks like that Travis Wood-for-Marshall trade will come back to haunt us. Marshall's shoulder injury isn't going to magically go away. And if it takes surgery, he'll be out until next year and probably not back to his old self until 2015 (final year of his contract).

Just great.

Yikes, this is scary.
    Hopefully some more rest makes Marshall useful later in the season.
    Hopefully this is just a precautionary measure.
    Marshall didn't seem that concerned about it when he was rested in the last game.
    I just hope this isn't a serious problem that will require surgery eventually.

Hopefully Parra got some good coaching in the minors and can throw strikes when he comes back.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?