Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Rizzo Signs 7 Year, $41 Million Deal

Anthony Rizzo Signs 7 Year, $41 Million Deal

It has 2 club options and escalators that could make it $73 million for 9 years. Would have been a free agent in 2019. Now possibly signed through 2021.

What say you?

I personally think it is a great deal for the Cubs, and something you will see more of in the future. Teams will be looking to get long term contracts early on to take a contract into a player's early 30's instead of waiting to sign a guy near free agency and get a super high contract into their late 30's. If a team can hit on only 50% of those guys it should be an overall win, especially with team options added on 7+ years in the future.

I am not happy about seeing him for another 9 years, but a good deal for the Cubs IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anthony Rizzo Signs 7 Year, $41 Million Deal

I'm surprised he would agree to it.

4. Likes:

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

It's probably an amazing deal for the Cubs in the long run. On the other hand, I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often. Yes, Rizzo is giving up a lot of potential money, but there's always the chance he could suffer a career-ending injury tomorrow. $500 K (what he makes this year) will not last you a lifetime. $41 million guaranteed will if you have a decent head on your shoulders... AND, if he's as good as I think he'll be, he'll have a chance at a free agent pay day when he turns 30.
    Stick to your guns.

I had my doubts about Rizzo but this kind of commitment really makes me think he could actually live up to potential. This team sees him on a day to day basis, knows his work ethic and thinks he has what it takes.

I thought it was interesting when Brewers gave Carlos Gomez the extension they did in the offseason. They knew adjustments he had made to game and bought in though. Looks like a smart move so far. So with that barring injury you would think Rizzo will well out perform this contract.

Great, great, great deal for the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Great, great, great deal for the Cubs.
    I think this is an incredible deal for the Cubs. They just bought many of what should be his best years at an annual salary well below the median for the position in the game. The data points we know about at the moment - his age, his demeanor, his physical attributes, his track record to this point - suggest that he will definitely outplay the money. And if he doesn't and, worst case, the Cubs have to eat the salary? The $6MM or so hardly cripples a budget like the Cubs. Indeed the whole contract is about two years of Votto/Pujols/Howard/Tex/etc. - those teams, including the Reds, are the ones with the bigger risks.

Yep, Rizzo may have given up getting a $200+M deal at age 28 and best case maybe gets a $100+M deal at age 32 after already having earned about $70M? But 41M is a great worst case scenario for him and it's a pretty nice one for the team, too.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Yep, Rizzo may have given up getting a $200+M deal at age 28 and best case maybe gets a $100+M deal at age 32 after already having earned about $70M? But 41M is a great worst case scenario for him and it's a pretty nice one for the team, too.
    I think it's fair to say that none of us can sit here, today, and accurately predict what he "could have" got in a big contract 7-9 years from now. Heck, the MLB base salary may be $10MM/yr at that point.

This is a huge win-win deal for both the player and the team. As others have said, I'm surprised this type of deal doesn't happen more often- club gets cost certainty and maintains player control while the player becomes instantly set for life financially.

Sure the player gives up some upside and the team takes on a bit of risk, but well worth it for both sides IMO.
    Go BLUE!!!

The Rays locked up Evan Longoria several years ago with a similar deal, no?

It seems these types of deals generally work out well with hitters, pitchers are more of a mixed bag. Thank god we didn't do a deal like this with Volquez.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Rizzo looks like a solid player. Kind of strange that both the Red Sox and Padres preferred to use him as a trading chip.

Check that. Epstein traded him away from the Sox, then got him back with the Cubs. Must value him.
    Last edited by oneupper; 05-13-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Rizzo looks like a solid player. Kind of strange that both the Red Sox and Padres preferred to use him as a trading chip.

Check that. Epstein traded him away from the Sox, then got him back with the Cubs. Must value him.
    Yep, Epstein traded him to former Padres GM Jed Hoyer for Adrian Gonzalez, the Padres traded him back to both Epstein and now Cubs GM Jed Hoyer.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

$41M guaranteed dollars is a nice insurance payment agaisnt injury and/or general sucking.

I don't doubt it's a good deal for everyone. At this stage, the player has to accept less dollars if he wants to get paid with guranteed money years before UFA.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

That's a steal for the Cubs. How many more arb years did he have? He's signed through 31, so he may have just one more chance at a 9-figure deal.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Great deal for the Cubs if he turns out to be the kind of player he's looked like the last couple weeks or so. Great deal for Rizzo if he doesn't pan out and/or gets seriously injured. Not a great deal for Rizzo if he becomes a star.

Turn Off Ads?