Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you consider the Reds baseball identity to be?

What do you consider the Reds baseball identity to be?

As the title says...what do you consider the Reds baseball identity to be? Let's try and leave the other NL Central team out that is the main rival of the Reds out of this one.

So examples of what I mean of baseball identities:

NYY: successful team bolstered by deep pockets and big purchases. Aka buys success.

Cubs: The team that is doomed to never win another World Series again

Dodgers/LAA: unsuccessfully trying to follow NYY model

Oakland A's: Perpetual underdog that has great seasons all things considered

Pittsburgh Pirates: can count on them being a below 500 ball club by the end of the season.

Some news outlets tried to paint the Reds as the new bad boys of baseball...... Although there might be a personality or two, I just don't see it.

What are your thoughts?

DISCLAIMER: thread is about Reds, not other NL Central or any other team for that matter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What do you consider the Reds baseball identity to be?

I think a quality team with a manager that cant win the big one.

Editors note: I am not a Dusty fan nor a Dusty basher.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

A team with top talent that has failed to win big games. Talent is there, just seems to come up short.

As a franchise, I think we're a scrappy hardworking franchise that tries to grind out games and the season as a whole.

As a current team, I think of them as an outgoing and laid-back bunch that are still "learning to win." We've seen it time and time again in the NBA, NFL, and I think it's becoming true in the MLB: You don't just "win" a championship anymore. You earn it and your team pays their dues as a group. Look at the Reds and Nationals last year, for example.

A team that has all of the parts in pitching, offense and defense to do some damage once the playoffs start. Our #2 pitcher in Latos is better than most teams #1.

I think once another impact bat is added and Marshall is back this team is the one no other wants to play in the playoffs.

I also think this team might end up being the team on the decade when it's said and done.

Losing in 2010 and 2012 might have been the best thing to happen in the long run, at least I try to think that way.

I think they are a team always on the hunt, trying to restablish the competitive success of their Golden Age, the Big Red Machine.

I'm not entirely convinced baseball will allow that anymore..... Not aimed at the Reds in particular, but for any franchise to trust dominate for stretches (years) at a time. The Yankees have tried..... I'm not ready to concede to their victory.

The team Walt built into an empire by 2025. 6 WS championships. The big Red Empire.

The Mississippi River will be flooded for years because of all the tears from ST Louis.

Great starting rotation but poor finishing. Inconsistent offense that is either amazing or lackluster. This team finds a way to win games in most situations but still needs to break through.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcbuckeye22 View Post
    The team Walt built into an empire by 2025. 6 WS championships. The big Red Empire.

The Mississippi River will be flooded for years because of all the tears from ST Louis.
    My first answer was "the oldest professional club in baseball," but as for the future I'd have to agree with the above!

This is still a young team, but it seemed like last night, with the way Cingrani came in and showed a little bit of "bulldog" that perhaps the identity was beginning to shift to one of a team that's ready to start putting the top teams down. I strongly dislike the term "swagger" but I think the confidence is starting to build for 2013. The confidence and passion that Latos/Mesoraco/Cingrani have, I've started referring to each of them as Bulldogs this year. Who knows, maybe I'm just rambling nonsense, but I felt a shift in the attitude of this team last night against the Pirates.

As a franchise a club that still desperately tries to match the Greats from the past but comes up short.

And the current team: Huge talent but as inconsistent as it gets. Jay Bruce is the perfect blueprint of what i feel about the current roster. Streaky. A steady up and down.

A young team gradually on the rise, but possibly lacking the dugout leadership to get them to the next level.

14. Likes:

MapleReds (06-19-2013)

A team that has made itself into a yearly playoff contender. The playoffs are a crapshoot.

16. Likes:

MapleReds (06-19-2013)

A strongly defensive and a competitive team in need of a on field leader, give them an 8th inning lead and they will beat you 9 out of 10 times.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I think the identity the Reds always have to me is the historical one, the "first" baseball club, the dominant years of the 70s where they had a few of the greatest teams all time.

Turn Off Ads?