Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you sign Choo if given a chance

Would you sign Choo if given a chance

I was listening to WLW this past weekend and on the post game show Doc Rogers make the statement that in no way would he ink Choo to a deal at this point no matter what.

For me it would be based on the deal his agent Boras offered. I wouldn't go for anything over 5 years at most, would rather have a 4 year deal. I think at his age you can get another 4 high quality years out of him before decline starts. I would be willing to offer Choo 4 years at $60 million with a team option on a 5th year. I think there might be a few teams out there that might go over that in years but not in per year dollars.

If Boras told you as Reds GM you had till the end of June to make up your mind and that it would take $13-15 million per year would you take his offer or pass and hope Hamilton learns alot over the rest of this season in AAA?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you sign Choo if given a chance

Did Doc give any reason for that?

With that kind of deadline, I'm not so sure. I'd say it's not necessarily a signing you make because you're worried about Hamilton, so much as a deal you make when you're worried about Ludwick being able to come back. I can make arguments for and against making the decision in June...I'd be more comfortable with a July decision.

4. Likes:

TheBlownLead (06-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dwyerbrg View Post
    Did Doc give any reason for that?

With that kind of deadline, I'm not so sure. I'd say it's not necessarily a signing you make because you're worried about Hamilton, so much as a deal you make when you're worried about Ludwick being able to come back. I can make arguments for and against making the decision in June...I'd be more comfortable with a July decision.
    Because this team won 90+ games with Stubbs in CF and with Choo the Reds have only won about 20+, he doesn't see Choo as being that important to the team overall, especially with what he feels it would cost to keep him.

I believe that the Reds won 90+ games in spite of Stubbs, not because of him.

Conversely, I believe that the Reds have won 20+ games this season, at least in part, because of Choo, so I'd have to say he's wrong about that reasoning.

That said, where do you come down on extending Choo?

You've got to be kidding me? 4 years at $60 million? $13-15 million per year?
    Consider: Since 2008, Choo ranks third with a 137 OPS+ among major leaguers with at least 600 games played in the outfield, according to research through Baseball-Reference.com. The only players ahead of him are Ryan Braun and Matt Holliday, each of whom has a contract worth more than $100 million.
    Look at Carl Crawford(7 yrs/$142M) or Jayson Werth(7 yrs/$126M) in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by qotsa04 View Post
    You've got to be kidding me? 4 years at $60 million? $13-15 million per year?
    Consider: Since 2008, Choo ranks third with a 137 OPS+ among major leaguers with at least 600 games played in the outfield, according to research through Baseball-Reference.com. The only players ahead of him are Ryan Braun and Matt Holliday, each of whom has a contract worth more than $100 million.
    Look at Carl Crawford(7 yrs/$142M) or Jayson Werth(7 yrs/$126M) in recent years.
    I am willing to bet someone will pay him that, he is making almost 8 million now, if his numbers stay anywhere close to what they are now teams will sign him for that amount without blinking...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    If Boras told you as Reds GM you had till the end of June to make up your mind and that it would take $13-15 million per year would you take his offer or pass and hope Hamilton learns alot over the rest of this season in AAA?
    Yes, I would sign him at 15 million/year for 4 years without even blinking.
    I would make whatever trades needed to fit him into the budget.
    Choo is a legitimate superstar. If you can retain a guy like that, you do it (Move other players if necessary).

My guess is that Boras wants 20+ million/year for more than 4 years though.
    No matter what the Reds offer at this point, Boras isn't going to agree. Not his style. He's going to have Choo test FA, as he should.. Choo might be the most desirable position player on the market this winter.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd would do 4 yrs/$60M in a heartbeat. The problem is, Choo/Boras won't.

Guys like Holliday and others signed their big contracts around age 29 or 30. Choo turns 31 in July.

I'm thinking 6 yrs/$100M. The problem then arises as to how do you sign your starting rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I'd would do 4 yrs/$60M in a heartbeat. The problem is, Choo/Boras won't.

Guys like Holliday and others signed their big contracts around age 29 or 30. Choo turns 31 in July.

I'm thinking 6 yrs/$100M. The problem then arises as to how do you sign your starting rotation?
    to me 6 years is to much, and while I like Choo, I just don't see him as a $20 million dollar guy. I think a double in pay is fair, he is around the 7 million mark now...

Mets already eyeing Choo?
    BARRY MCBRIDE |
    Published: Friday, May 10, 2013 | 0 Comments
    Indians and Reds fans have a lot to be excited about in 2013, with both clubs appearing to be solid playoff contenders, both in second place in their divisions with an eye on first.

In New York, however, Mets fans are already thinking of next year, with the club a moribund 14-17 and already 5.5 games behind the Atlanta Braves.

Part of the issue with the Mets is their outfield, one of the worst in MLB. All of which has the New York Daily News saying that the Mets are already looking hungrily at Reds outfield Shin-Soo Choo:

And so you already hear names that would make sense as Mets next season. One, in particular, I’ve heard multiple times this week is Shin-Soo Choo, the Reds’ center fielder and leadoff hitter, who will be one of the more attractive free-agent outfielders available next winter.

“I’d bet on him being a Met next season,” one major league exec with past ties to GM Sandy Alderson said on Thursday. “He’s a high on-base percentage guy, which is what Sandy wants, and he’s a really good hitter.

Assuming the price isn't absurd(it may well be) then signing Choo the left fielder long term is the right move. Signing Choo the center fielder probably isn't.

It depends on what the circumstances are and the long term plans of the club. If they are not planning on trading for anyone then yes. I'd sign him move him to left when Billy is ready and go if they are going to try to acquire a third baseman it still leaves the option open to put choo in left and billy in center but there would probably have to be a consideration of would the reds be better long term if the money was used to sign the newly acquired player and have billy in center. If the reds acquire a big name left fielder like Stanton, and do not trade Billy to do so, then I see no reason to resign choo. He's be playing center long term which honestly is not in the best interest of the club plus in the long run the team would probably be better off with Stanton and billy. Put your money there. Also another consideration would be resigning latos and bailey. If I had to choose between those two and choo, I pick the pitchers.

So pretty much while choo has been awesome this year there are a ton of factors that would go into whether or not I resign him. I don't think I'd do it right now. I'd wait to see what happens at the deadline.

That the Mets are thinking about signing him should give us pause. I think it depends on Hamilton and maybe even on Henry Rodriguez. If you think Hamilton is your CF for next year and beyond, then Choo has to play left (unless you trade Bruce, perhaps not an unthinkable move). But you're already paying Ludwick pretty substantially for next year. If HRod is ready to go, too, you've got a decent backup plan for LF: i.e. HRod to 3rd, at least part of the time, and Frazier to left if Ludwick goes down or underperforms. Hamilton and HRod will also give you the left-handed bats you need. Personally I hope this is what happens and that we save the money on Choo to tie up as much of the starting rotation as we can, because that's what has improved this team.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goose1701 View Post
    Assuming the price isn't absurd(it may well be) then signing Choo the left fielder long term is the right move. Signing Choo the center fielder probably isn't.
    I believe this could be the key point in whether Choo even considers signing long term with the Reds.

What if he likes it here and would give the Reds a discount and sign here. BUT...........only if he gets to play a corner OF position? Clearly he doesn't like playing CF. And as much as most of us like Choo, we don't prefer him in CF anyway.

Reds either need to know if Hamilton will be ready and Choo can move over. Or trade for a CFer. Or let Choo walk in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I believe this could be the key point in whether Choo even considers signing long term with the Reds.

What if he likes it here and would give the Reds a discount and sign here. BUT...........only if he gets to play a corner OF position? Clearly he doesn't like playing CF. And as much as most of us like Choo, we don't prefer him in CF anyway.

Reds either need to know if Hamilton will be ready and Choo can move over. Or trade for a CFer. Or let Choo walk in free agency.
    Right. The other problem is that Ludwick is under contract for next year. If the Reds are looking to sign Choo, they're gonna need to trade either Ludwick or Bruce, and I'd much rather they trade Ludwick. This is all assuming Hamilton is ready to play the OF at the major league level in 2014 of course.

Turn Off Ads?