Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you sign Choo if given a chance

Re: Would you sign Choo if given a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Fan View Post
    to me 6 years is to much, and while I like Choo, I just don't see him as a $20 million dollar guy. I think a double in pay is fair, he is around the 7 million mark now...
    The contracts that the star players are signing right now, clubs are adding years knowing full well they will be overplaying in the downside of their careers. That hasn't been a deterrent. The market has changed, the new tv deals have altered the game.

Boras would be an idiot to negotiate before free agency. He can always come back and sign with Cincinnati if Choo insists, but why would they limit themselves. He's played some 10 years being traded from one place to another with losing teams. This is his first time being able to dictate where he wants to play. I doubt they will easily sign it away.

Maybe we could have signed him long term when we traded for him. Maybe we could have gotten 5 for 80. Now the time has probably passed. He seems back in his 2008-10 form. Barring injury or complete collapse he's going to get 100/120+ somewhere.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I say no to a long term contract. I like him now, but who doesn't at this point?, he has done everything asked of him so far. Let's see if he continues all year...if he does, he will want to much money to make sense IMO.

Why not try to extend him now before his value rises too high? I know it is a long shot because it is evident at this point in the season that he will probably be a top FA in the offseason. But we did extend Bruce before his value was too high.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Why not try to extend him now before his value rises too high? I know it is a long shot because it is evident at this point in the season that he will probably be a top FA in the offseason. But we did extend Bruce before his value was too high.
    Bruce was a homegrown talent at a younger age with an agent not named Scott Boras.

This is going to be Choo's last big payday of his career. he would be crazy not to hit the open market and attempt to get as big of a contract as possible. It is the same exact thing every one of us would do. I have been a huge Reds fan my entire life and if I were in Choo's shoes I would hit free agency and sign to the highest bidder even if it were the Cardinals or Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    Jay Bruce was club controlled for 4 more years when he signed the 6 year contract. The Reds basically bought out 2 years of free agency for what will be a cheaper price in exchange for a raise and guarantee security through that time. Bruce took it.

Choo is already in his free agency year. The situations of Bruce and Choo are not similar.

7. Likes:

Screwball (05-16-2013)

It'll depend on how the rest of this year shakes out and who if anyone is acquired at the deadline. If there is nothing major changed and Hamilton looks ready, then maybe try to sign him to play left. If the reds get an impact bat and Hamilton stays and is ready let choo walk and use the pick gained to reup the farm.

depended on the cost. Getting draft compensation isn't a bad alternative if the cost is too high.

I would sign him, the math seems impossible to work out though based on what he will most likely command as a salary.
    I've said all winter — they talk about this team winning the division — and my comment is, they won't win it because, at the end of the day, they still are the Chicago Cubs, and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up. - Marty Brennaman

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I don't see how you don't sign him.

Billy Hamilton or Choo?

No-brainer.

But we need a CFer, because Choo won't sign to play CF.

He's only a year and 2 months older than Votto, of course the Reds are paying him way too much for way too long, counting this year 11 more years. They just won't have enough $$$$ to go around.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This is going to be Choo's last big payday of his career. he would be crazy not to hit the open market and attempt to get as big of a contract as possible. It is the same exact thing every one of us would do.
    This! Unfortunately ... If Choo-Choo continues to ramp it up for the entire season as he has done so far i don´t think there is a chance the Reds will be able to afford him.

I advocate letting Choo walk because he'll be too expensive. Next year, bring up Hamilton to play CF and go after Beltran (who will be cheaper, but put up similar or possibly better numbers when healthy).

I think he'll be too expensive because he would fill a hole for both the Rangers and Red Sox, along with his agent being Scott Boras.

Several teams will want Choo...Mets Rangers Bosox Yanks...I don't think the Reds have even a glimmer of a chance. Add Boras and its even less likely.

I'd say 3 years with an option would work.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Turn Off Ads?