Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Manny being Manny (Overseas Edition)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Manny being Manny (Overseas Edition)

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...164208444.html

Need a pick-me-up on another monotonous Monday? Check out the progress of Manny Ramirez as he plays ball in Taiwan:

And then he gets high-fives from the bench! That's got to be good for a laugh. It's just Manny being Manny, 45-50 feet at a time. Love that his team is playing the '79 Pittsburgh Pirates, too.

The most forgiving angle in the replays comes from behind the second-base bag. That perspective makes it seem like Manny pulled up just short. The best part of these Manny highlights continues to be the announcers getting so excited while (presumably) speaking Taiwanese Mandarin.

Can we please bring him back to the U.S.?
    Here's the link to the video. It's kind of fantastic:
    http://youtu.be/H64GyReeD3s
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Manny being Manny (Overseas Edition)

That was one heck of a slide. Thanks for posting! That was great.

Magical...

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It looks like he was 8 to 10 feet from the bag when he started that slide. Hilarious. He went into his slide and just stopped immediately once he went down.

I enjoyed a game in that very ballpark back in '09; Brother Elephants vs. Team 7-11.

Some odd names, but the Pirate style uniforms (though navy, and not black) were cool. Nearly all team names were corporate in nature, and "Brother Elephants" was the product of two hotel chains that had merged and settled on this curious name lol. The logo on the Elephants cap is Taiwan's national symbol, a lotus flower, and the league in '09, as I recall, consisted only of 6 or 8 teams. Neighboring fans had explained that in recent times, a huge gambling scandal had decimated the league and forced roughly half of Taiwan's teams to fold. Not sure if they've since recovered.

Not unlike Japanese baseball, each side has an official cheer leading squad, replete with drums, cymbals, microphones and very pretty Taiwanese pompom girls, as well as a dragon-like caricature or two. In addition, there were two box offices; right side/left side of the park, and from either, you purchased from the side from which you wished to sit. So, 3rd base side fans were dressed mostly in orange, while first base side fans were adorned in the Elephants navy and yellow.

A very different experience, indeed. Definitely whet my appetite to go and see Japanese baseball next time I'm in the area. Definitely plan on donning my Reds gear for the Hiroshima Carp.
    Last edited by Number_Fourteen; 05-13-2013 at 05:11 PM.

8. Likes:

cumberlandreds (05-14-2013)

Haunted by walks

That was worse than Votto's slide.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    It looks like he was 8 to 10 feet from the bag when he started that slide. Hilarious. He went into his slide and just stopped immediately once he went down.
    Well, gravity always wins.

A normal slide and he's safe! This was Willie Mays Hayes in real life, awesome. Thanks for posting the link.

As much grief as he should get from his PED stuff, I just can't remain angry at the guy. He's always doing stuff that gives you a laugh.

The Chinese language announcers made that even funnier. Asian languages always sound like they have built in exclamation marks.

14. Likes:

MikeThierry (05-13-2013)

The throw from Stargell actually pulled Frank Taveras off the bag.....Manny would have been safe with a real slide.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

16. Likes:

757690 (05-14-2013),RichRed (05-14-2013)

He probably could have gone in standing up, the 2nd baseman was pulled off the a bag a good 4 feet. Funny clip though, anyone have a clue why he got high fives in the dugout? If that happened in American baseball his teammates would all be laughing or smiling, but they wouldn't congratulate him.

As Reds fans, this is even better!

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-...1585--mlb.html
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    As much grief as he should get from his PED stuff, I just can't remain angry at the guy. He's always doing stuff that gives you a laugh.
    It's almost hard to see him as something other than a cartoon character, until he shoves the traveling secretary or his wife and you're forced to remember he's a real person doing possible harm to another real person. The PED stuff is just like more cartoon action because he's not really hurting anyone but himself and how can a real person be dumb enough to get caught again?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?