Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This organization has come a long way

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: This organization has come a long way

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Indeed.

I like signing a young pitcher like Johnny Cueto to a pricey extension. I don't like signing a guy like Eric Milton to a pricey FA contract.
    Exactly, no longer are we run by leadership who think the path to success lies in paying mediocre talent like they were cornerstones.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This organization has come a long way

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I'm not so sure the payroll thing is all that much to be positive about.

It's wonderful to point at a new huge media deal for the Cincinnati market, but even as the Reds cash in, so does virtually every other franchise. The only result is that contracts are becoming more expensive. Despite the spending by this ownership, there comes a point of saturation where the Reds cannot keep up with the big boys in spending. There is no way the Reds can compete with the larger markets long term.

Another very real possibility to consider is that the Reds are spending money from a house of cards industry (cable TV) that next generation technology and innovation could render obsolete almost overnight. Obviously, new technology will lead to new sources of income, but sometimes the transition from old to new isn't as smooth as desired.

Having said that, I am pleased that the major spending has gone mostly toward the home grown talent. To me, the key for the Reds' success will ALWAYS be the scouting and development and keeping the farm system as a continual pipeline for major league talent.

I'm just not that enthralled with outside talent brought in. Always wonder why if they were such a talent, why their old team chose to replace them.
    Being strong in player development can be related to outside talent. Certainly the Padres had to be high on Latos - can you imagine the numbers he would be putting up out there? - and yet the Reds were able to pry him loose. The reason we were able to do so is that the Padres valued the prospects we had scouted and developed. Had those picks been wasted - if there was the belief that Grandal, Alonso, etc. had low ceilings - the Padres would not have done the deal. Same re Gregorious/Choo - Choo was held in extremely high esteem in Cleveland, can't remotely be considered a castoff. Same re Marshall/Cubs.

It's not like the Reds have made a practice of spending a bunch of money on free agents - almost the entire team is the product of either developing players internally or giving up players we developed liked for good players on other teams.

Turn Off Ads?