Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The farm isn't barren

The farm isn't barren

The Reds have position pkayers in the minors...no budding superstars maybe but for fun I assembled a roster. Add your own...or make fun of mine. I think this team could make headway if it played the Stros, Padres or Fish.

Billy Hamilton CF
    Jesse Winker LF
    Yorman Rodriguez RF
    Donald Lutz OF
    Felix Perez OF
    Neftali Soto 1b
    Henry Rodriguez 2b
    Zach Vincej SS
    Seth Mejias-Brean 3b
    Devon Lohman Inf
    David Vidal Inf
    Tucker Barnhart C
    Joe Hudson C

Tony Cingrani SP
    Sharky Rogers SP
    Robert Stephenson SP
    Drew Cisco SP
    Daniel Corcino SP
    Amir Garrett SP-RP
    Curtis Partch RP
    El'Hajj Muhammed RP
    Nick Travieso SP-RP
    Ishmael Guillon RP
    Jacob Johnson SP-RP
    Sal Romano SP-RP

The only rule to thus is assemble your best 25 man roster.
    I left out retreading major leaguers like Yohan Pino
    I also left off a lot of low level guys but some players currently scuffling made it on orojection. I feel like the Reds farm has a couple starters and a lot of utility guys to feed the big club but outside of YR Billy and Winker there a couple more who might have a couple really good years in them...HRod...Lutz and Perez.

Pitching is where the strength lies.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (05-14-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The farm isn't barren

I'll give it a shot. All prospect team.

Hamilton CF
    H-Rod 2B
    Winker DH
    Lutz LF
    Y-Rod RF
    Soto 1B
    Rahier 3B
    Barnhart C
    J. Perez SS

Lohman IF
    Hudson C
    Arias U
    Waldrop OF

Cingrani (1)
    Stephenson (2)
    Corcino (3)
    Contreras (4)
    Travieso (5)
    Rogers
    Romano
    Cisco
    Guillon
    Moscot
    Langfield
    Garrett (CL)

No 27+ y/o minor leaguers need apply.

Next guys in line:.

Position Players - Gelalich, Mejias-Brean, Vidal
    Pitchers - Villareal, Crabbe, Ravin
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

5. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'll give it a shot. All prospect team.
    I love this idea; surprised we don't do it more often. It's fun and seems like a good way to get a sense of the talent that isn't so focused on development timelines.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I love this idea; surprised we don't do it more often. It's fun and seems like a good way to get a sense of the talent that isn't so focused on development timelines.
    I totally agree. Great thread

mth...I like that your team is different...I completely forgot about Junior Arias and also Juan Perez. I'd modify my team to fit both and I also think Van Loek should make the staff...mostly for off season basketball but he hasn't been too shabby pitching either. I thought his height would cause mechanical problems and control issues but that hasn t happened so far.

I thought Steve Selsky was developing pretty good but this year he is lost at AA.

Seems to be a hitting curse on Pensacola...Selsky is lost, Vidal has started badly, Lutz was hitting poorly despite being called up. Leaving hitters heaven and playing in a much more neutrak league has taken the starch out of Theo, guy can't buy his way on board to use his speed. Barnhart and to a smaller extent Smith and Lohman are the only guys at or above what was expected.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Seems to be a hitting curse on Pensacola...Selsky is lost, Vidal has started badly, Lutz was hitting poorly despite being called up. Leaving hitters heaven and playing in a much more neutrak league has taken the starch out of Theo, guy can't buy his way on board to use his speed. Barnhart and to a smaller extent Smith and Lohman are the only guys at or above what was expected.
    Totally forgot about Bryson Smith. Might need to bump Arias for him. It's close and Arias has more upside, but I think Smith has useful 4th OF written all over him. Similar to Chris Heisey IMO. It's close.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Problem with this organization has been a fetish for 4th OF types at the expense of solid corner OF bats. Their strange fascination for infielders with a utility ceiling is not far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Problem with this organization has been a fetish for 4th OF types at the expense of solid corner OF bats. Their strange fascination for infielders with a utility ceiling is not far behind.
    I don't think its at the expense of at all. Reds have concentrated on pitching with high picks. Its not like they passed on super prospects to take a utility man. They passed many times on hitters to take pitching inside and they nabbed some high ceiling hitters like Grandal and Alonso and Hamilton and Winker too. Its not easy drafting guys you can predict will wont be studs. What you see as fascination with 4th OFers and utility guys is the normal weeding and winnowing process. Every single team has the same thing happening but only a couple have had as productive asystem in the last 5 years.

14. Likes:

HokieRed (05-14-2013),lollipopcurve (05-14-2013)

Disagree on the budding superstars...

Any pitcher who projects as a starter at the MLB level to me is a superstar....

1.) Cingrani..
    2.) Corcino
    3.) Rogers
    4.) Stephenson.

All four look to be ontrack to pitch in the majors as a starter..

Other than that the farm is solid if not spectacular.

The Reds farm system is ranked 23rd in the MLB power rankings. I'm sure various publications' rankings will vary, but I doubt any of them would have the Reds ranked very far from that number.

That's not very good. Just sayin'.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    The Reds farm system is ranked 23rd in the MLB power rankings. I'm sure various publications' rankings will vary, but I doubt any of them would have the Reds ranked very far from that number.

That's not very good. Just sayin'.
    The reason it's ranked so low is because Uncle Walt has traded away the majority of his AA/AAA prospects who were ranked. Would you rather have Latos or the 3 prospects and Edison, also Sean Marshall is a key piece which prospects played a key role in. Add in Frazier who is our everyday 3rd baseman and Mes. who is the back up catcher are now in the majors.

I agree it could be better as I think they drafted a lot of filler guys who don't have high level talent but where advanced college players who were good ball players.

We still have Cingrani, Stephenson, Hamilton, Rogers, and Barnhart. All who will play in the majors within 2 to 3 years, and stand a good chance at being starters.

18. Likes:

RedlegJake (05-14-2013)

And what do you think happens to the Cards system in a couple years? All that top tier talent has to play or br traded because of free agent rrules to prevent hoarding Spirit. A couple years ago the Reds Cards farm rankings were reversed. Time is both blessing and curse in the farm system. Play em trade em or lose em. That's why few systems remain on top very long. The Reds just finished up the trade em/play em end of that cycle and are reloading. I like the system given its point in that cycle. In 2 years the Cards will be in the same lower rank due to this process...the Reds will be much higher.

20. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (05-14-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    And what do you think happens to the Cards system in a couple years? All that top tier talent has to play or br traded because of free agent rrules to prevent hoarding Spirit. A couple years ago the Reds Cards farm rankings were reversed. Time is both blessing and curse in the farm system. Play em trade em or lose em. That's why few systems remain on top very long. The Reds just finished up the trade em/play em end of that cycle and are reloading. I like the system given its point in that cycle. In 2 years the Cards will be in the same lower rank due to this process...the Reds will be much higher.
    I agree about the nature of farm systems, as it pertains to fluctuation.

I disagree that in a couple years the Cardinals' system will drop significantly. Their AAA and AA teams are well stocked with young talent (both in first place, FWIW). Their high A team is average, but in fairness, they have promoted 6 players to AA since the start of the season. Their low A team is in 2nd place and have several players doing very well.

Last year's draft was widely considered their best in 10 years and they have 4 picks in the top 100 this year. They also have made great strides in their foreign scouting and have spent a lot of money on players like Taveras and Martinez.

As for the big team, assuming they let Westbrook walk after this year and fill his spot with one of the starters currently in the bullpen, their rotation is set for 4 years (injuries notwithstanding), with Wainright being the only starter over 25.

As for their position players, other than Beltran, who they might not re-up after this year, only Holliday and Molina are over 30. They'll probably replace Kozma (Jackson, in AAA, is hitting .350 and considered a better fielder). Wong was being groomed to take over next year at 2B, and is considered the team's best 2B prospect in forever, but with Carpenter's emergence, he might have to sit.

The difference in the new front office regime is that the farm system has gotten deep enough that they can gamble on high risk / high reward talent. The old regime got mired in picking " safe " players, and you never get the potential all star type talent drafting that way.
    Last edited by SpiritofStLouis; 05-14-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: added content
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Turn Off Ads?