Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Minor League Updates Tuesday 5/21/13

Minor League Updates Tuesday 5/21/13

The Bats are in Gwinnett and leading 6-2 in the bottom of the 9th. Reineke was chucking the ol' horsehide to the tune of 7IP 6H 2ER 1BB 3K. Whelan pitched a scoreless 8th. Pino on the bump in the ninth.
    Hessman is carrying the offensive banner going 3-4 with a 2B, HR, and 2RBI. Corky has left the building for HR number 3. Billy "Deviled" Ham is 1-4 with a walk and his 23rd theft of the year. Felix the Cat and O'Henry contribute a base knock each.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Likes:

kfm (05-21-2013),texasdave (05-21-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minor League Updates Tuesday 5/21/13

And the game has gone final. Pino whiffs a pair in a scoreless ninth.
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

5. Likes:

kfm (05-21-2013)

Tim "All You Can Eat" Crabbe is toeing the rubber tonight for the 'Hoos. He has given up two earned on four hits thru the initial third.
    The incomparable David Vidal and Luis "Dodge" Durango have been the only visitors to the base paths.

Jake Johnson gets handed the pill against High Desert on Taco Tuesday.
    -RichRed

7. Likes:

kfm (05-21-2013),SirFelixCat (05-22-2013),texasdave (05-21-2013)

Bottom of the 8th and Pensacola trails 4-0. Crabbe went 5.2 surrendering 9 hits and 4ER. Hayes went 1.1 scoreless followed by a virgin frame from Lee Hyde.
    Lohman and Lamarre have chipped in to another dysmal offensive showing with a hit apiece.
    -RichRed

That Crabbe Buffet isn't working out to well tonight. Hope the Taco Tuesday fares better.

10. Likes:

SirFelixCat (05-22-2013)

How can you not just love minor league baseball when they have promotions such as this? The link is to the Bakersfield Blaze Facebook Page. Click on it and you should see the Blaze players lined up in two rows making an 'arch' of sorts with their upraised bats. And the fans get to walk through. Awesome doesn't begin to describe it.

https://www.facebook.com/Bakersfield...ed_target_id=0

12. Likes:

mace (05-22-2013),OGB (05-22-2013)

Loek Van Mil got himself a virgin frame as well.

Mobile then brought in their closer and very nearly got 'Munsoned'. Pensacola scored twice in the home half of the ninth and brought the tying run to the plate off of Kevin Munson, before Ryan LaMarre flied to center to end the ballgame.

In an ironic twist, Pensacola bats slept through most of the game and still the MiPOTD may end up being The Durango Kid, who went 2-3 with a couple of walks.

BayBears 4 BlueFish 2.
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-21-2013 at 11:06 PM.

14. Likes:

SirFelixCat (05-22-2013)

Looks like a wild one on Taco Tuesday. Jake Johnson surrenders a two-run dinger in the top of the first but the Blaze salsa right back with a pair of runs of their own in the bottom half of the first. Yorman Rodriguez walks, Marquez Smith doubles and Steve Selksy singles. The Blaze take the lead in the second as Ryan Wright continues to come out of his shell with a solo jack. Johnson will have to throw some serious cheese to make that slim one-run margin hold up.
    In the bottom of the third, Selsky leads off with his second single. Kyle Waldrop follows with his ninth bomb of the season. Blaze take a 5-2 lead.
    Johnson allows his second home run in the top of the fourth to trim the lead to 5-3.
    NOTE: Silverio is at short again. No word on if Juan Perez is injured or not.
    Johnson in a serious crunch in the fifth. Three consecutive singles load the bases with one out. You have got to be kidding me. Two wild pitches and a passed ball clear the bases. Of course, what would you expect in a game between HIGH Desert and the Bakersfield BLAZE? Jake Johnson is pulled. Bakersfield trails 6-5. High Desert did not cream the ball in the fifth but it still turned out sour for Johnson.
    With two outs in the fifth Bakersfield ties the game at six. Waldrop is hit by a pitch, Juan Duran walks and Juan Silverio's single drives in the tying run. Silverio now has a 13-game hitting streak. D'Anna follows with a single but Duran is tostado'd at the dish. 6-6 through five. Very entertaining game. I have said this before but it is still true. The Bakersfield announcer is very good.
    Bad blood here? Waldrop homered and then was hit his next time up. First pitch in the top of the sixth nails the High Desert leadoff batter. That HBP eventually leads to a run for HD. Bakersfield answers in the bottom of the sixth with back-to-back two-out triples by Yorman Rodriguez and Marquez Smith. 7-7.
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-22-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Bakersfield made it five in a row last night in a slugfest. A five-run seventh gave them a 12-7 lead and they hung on to win 12-10. The
    Blaze pounded out 15 hits, 8 for extra bases, including three doubles, two triples and a trifecta of touch-em-alls.

Nearly everyone got into the act for the Blaze.
    Ryan Wright two home runs, 2 runs scored, 3 drive home.
    Yorman Rodriguez walked twice, tripled, scored twice, knocked in a run.
    Marquez Smith was a home run shy of a cycle, scoring once and driving in a pair.
    Kyle Waldrop had a double and a jack, was hit by a pitch, scored 3 times, and had 2 ribbies.
    Juan Duran singled, walked and laid down a sac bunt.
    Juan Silverio slapped out two singles, scored a run and plated a pair.
    Dominic D'Anna collected a single, a double, scored once and had an RBI.

Everyone that took the mound gave up runs. Johnson, Pinckard, McMyne and Gonzalez.

It looks like the Carlos Gonzalez to starter experiment is over as he has come out of the bullpen in his last three outings. Last night's effort was particularly odious. He came on in the eighth with two down and a man on and promptly walked the first two batters he faced. A double then cleared the bases. Another walk brought the go-ahead run to the plate before Gonzalez worked himself out of largely self-made trouble.

Not sure why the starter experiment failed. In his two transitioning starts his numbers were: 6.2 IP 6H 1R 1ER 2BB 12K.
    Last edited by texasdave; 05-22-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Good stuff. But the fact is, I'm posting gratuitously to see if I can. I've tried several times to enter today's MiLPOD, but keep getting an Internal Server Error message.

Anybody seen Silverio play SS? Can he?

I had no clue Waldrop had 9 HR - kids having himself a year. I went to an Indianapolis Indians game with my sister last week. Our seats were on the rail right behind the home bullpen bench. Indy has a pitcher named Kyle Waldrop and I ended up talking to him for a bit. He was a really awesome guy.
    -RichRed

That would be cool to see them face each other.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    That would be cool to see them face each other.
    He mentioned that they'd met before. Waldrop also mentioned that this was his 4th season in AAA, so it appears he might be a minor league lifer.
    -RichRed

Turn Off Ads?