Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Strength of schedule

  1. #1
    Savante SpiritofStLouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dregs of the diseased mind
    Posts
    273

    Strength of schedule

    There has been a lot of speculation about how difficult the schedules have been for various teams so far, so here's a graph that shows the schedule strength for all 30 teams.



    http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi/_/sort/sos
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    553

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Can you explain the value of "strength of schedule" 1.5 months into the season?

  4. #3
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,462

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Can you explain the value of "strength of schedule" 1.5 months into the season?
    Exactly.

    Last year at this point, the Reds were at .500. They finished with 97 wins.

    A teams win-lost record on May 15th does not tell us how talented that team is, nor how many wins they will have at season's end.

    Those stats tells us nothing of value.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  5. #4
    Salukifan2
    Guest

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Many people have been talking SOS on the redszone in multiple contexts. He is just being courteous and giving a link so everyone can see what the SOS of teams around the league are

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    357

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Almost a 1/4 of the season already, it certainly means something...

  7. #6
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,930

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Hooray! The cardinals are number 1!

    Give me a break, like he didn't post this because the cardinals are number 1 in "SOS." I was born at night, but not last night.

    This graph is the definition of meaningless.

  8. #7
    Savante SpiritofStLouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dregs of the diseased mind
    Posts
    273

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Can you explain the value of "strength of schedule" 1.5 months into the season?
    I believe that it means that up to this point of the season, based on the records of their opponents, how difficult a team's schedule has been.

    Or, in layman's terms, those that have opined that the Reds have played a more difficult schedule than the Cardinals (up to now) have been wrong.

    Just trying to help out, so such mistakes (claiming that the Reds have played a tougher schedule) won't be made in the future.

    I never said it was important.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

  9. #8
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    3,930

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    I believe that it means that up to this point of the season, based on the records of their opponents, how difficult a team's schedule has been.

    Or, in layman's terms, those that have opined that the Reds have played a more difficult schedule than the Cardinals (up to now) have been wrong.

    Just trying to help out, so such mistakes (claiming that the Reds have played a tougher schedule) won't be made in the future.

    I never said it was important.
    The first part is layman's terms. The second part you say are layman's terms is just you trolling for a reaction from reds fans.

    Thanks for your help, really appreciate you giving our fanbase a helping hand by pointing out some were wrong so they don't make future mistakes when talking about the magnificent St. Louis cardinals.

    I for one am not falling for this subtle trolling many seem to be ok with here.

  10. #9
    Savante SpiritofStLouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dregs of the diseased mind
    Posts
    273

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The first part is layman's terms. The second part you say are layman's terms is just you trolling for a reaction from reds fans.

    Thanks for your help, really appreciate you giving our fanbase a helping hand by pointing out some were wrong so they don't make future mistakes when talking about the magnificent St. Louis cardinals.

    I for one am not falling for this subtle trolling many seem to be ok with here.
    I meant no such thing.

    FWIW, I picked the Reds to win the division and the Cardinals to miss the playoffs.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    872

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    I believe that it means that up to this point of the season, based on the records of their opponents, how difficult a team's schedule has been.

    Or, in layman's terms, those that have opined that the Reds have played a more difficult schedule than the Cardinals (up to now) have been wrong.

    Just trying to help out, so such mistakes (claiming that the Reds have played a tougher schedule) won't be made in the future.

    I never said it was important.
    Actually, those that have argued that the Reds have played a more difficult schedule were correct.

    The stat that is on the ESPN website is worthless. It does not actually measure the strength of the schedule that a team played, despite the name that they give it.

    The strength of a team's scheduled cannot, nor should it ever be measured by the early season records of their opponents. Those records do not reveal how good or how strong a team is. Here is why:

    2012 mid may records vs. final records:

    Giants 18-19 finished 94-68
    Reds 18-17 finished 97-65
    Brewers 16-24 finished 83-79
    Miami 20-17 finished 69-73
    Mets 20-16 finished 74-88
    Cards 20-11 finished 88-74
    Astros 15-17 finished 55-107
    D-Backs 16-21 finished 81-81
    Dodgers 24-12 finished 86-76

  12. #11
    Salukifan2
    Guest

    Re: Strength of schedule

    SOS in baseball is stupid. Why is it being discussed? It is used by fans of all teams to try and make themselves feel better about their current position, or the position of a rival team. Frankly for the last week and a half it seems like both teams have only played the Cubs, Marlins, and Brewers and they all suck.

  13. #12
    Savante SpiritofStLouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dregs of the diseased mind
    Posts
    273

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by JayStubbs View Post
    Actually, those that have argued that the Reds have played a more difficult schedule were correct.

    The stat that is on the ESPN website is worthless. It does not actually measure the strength of the schedule that a team played, despite the name that they give it.

    The strength of a team's scheduled cannot, nor should it ever be measured by the early season records of their opponents. Those records do not reveal how good or how strong a team is. Here is why:

    2012 mid may records vs. final records:

    Giants 18-19 finished 94-68
    Reds 18-17 finished 97-65
    Brewers 16-24 finished 83-79
    Miami 20-17 finished 69-73
    Mets 20-16 finished 74-88
    Cards 20-11 finished 88-74
    Astros 15-17 finished 55-107
    D-Backs 16-21 finished 81-81
    Dodgers 24-12 finished 86-76
    I understand your premise, but I believe your logic is flawed. Strength of Schedule calculates how a team is playing when you play them, not how they will eventually end up.

    I'll give you an example.

    The Pirates are 25-15, the Mariners are 15-25. Their SOSs are what they are. Pittsburgh plays Seattle in a 3 game series and sweeps them. Both teams SOSs are adjusted accordingly.

    The 2 teams play again in July, and during the period of time between the series, the Pirates lose McCutcheon, Marte, Alvarez, Burnett and Grille to season ending injuries.

    Seattle takes 2 out of 3 in July. At this point, their SOSs are what they are (which is irrelevant)

    Obviously, Pittsburgh is not the same team.

    The point is that Seattle's strength of schedule after the 1st series was calculated by Pittsburgh's record at the time, before the injuries.

    Pittsburgh goes on to win 65 games. You can't calculate Seattle's strength of schedule after that 1st series on Pittsburgh's final record because obviously the team the Pirates had during that 1st series was different than the team that finished the season .

    Strength of schedule is calculated on the team's record when you played them, not how they finished.

    I bet the Red's record would be better if they had Luddy and Cueto the whole season. You just can't assume it because it didn't happen. Their record is what it is and their roster is what it is.

    You can't measure strength of schedule on projections. You can only use a team's record at the time the SOS is calculated.

    The math is solid. Now how much credence you put in it is up to you, kinda like sabremetrics. Some people dismiss sabre entirely, but that's not because the numbers are wrong, it's because people tend to assign their own degrees of relevance.

    For the record, ESPN isn't the only publication that uses the SOS formula. Every site that publishes it uses the very same premise.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    872

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    I understand your premise, but I believe your logic is flawed. Strength of Schedule calculates how a team is playing when you play them, not how they will eventually end up.

    I'll give you an example.

    The Pirates are 25-15, the Mariners are 15-25. Their SOSs are what they are. Pittsburgh plays Seattle in a 3 game series and sweeps them. Both teams SOSs are adjusted accordingly.

    The 2 teams play again in July, and during the period of time between the series, the Pirates lose McCutcheon, Marte, Alvarez, Burnett and Grille to season ending injuries.

    Seattle takes 2 out of 3 in July. At this point, their SOSs are what they are (which is irrelevant)

    Obviously, Pittsburgh is not the same team.

    The point is that Seattle's strength of schedule after the 1st series was calculated by Pittsburgh's record at the time, before the injuries.

    Pittsburgh goes on to win 65 games. You can't calculate Seattle's strength of schedule after that 1st series on Pittsburgh's final record because obviously the team the Pirates had during that 1st series was different than the team that finished the season .

    Strength of schedule is calculated on the team's record when you played them, not how they finished.

    I bet the Red's record would be better if they had Luddy and Cueto the whole season. You just can't assume it because it didn't happen. Their record is what it is and their roster is what it is.

    You can't measure strength of schedule on projections. You can only use a team's record at the time the SOS is calculated.

    The math is solid. Now how much credence you put in it is up to you, kinda like sabremetrics. Some people dismiss sabre entirely, but that's not because the numbers are wrong, it's because people tend to assign their own degrees of relevance.

    For the record, ESPN isn't the only publication that uses the SOS formula. Every site that publishes it uses the very same premise.
    You're actually making my point for me.

    Like you said, and others have said, it's not who you play, but when you play them. A team's record at any one time, especially early on the season, doesn't reflect how difficult it will be to beat them.

    I already provided empirical evidence that at the time of the year last season, nine out of the sixteen teams had records that didn't reflect their talent level. And your example of a team suffering injuries only makes the point even clearer.

    I can take a similar example to prove my point.

    Lets say the Cards lose Wainwright, Holliday, Molina and Beltran for a week. They all get the flu. The Padres play them and sweep them. The SOS show that the Padres faced a tough opponent, with the bet record in the league. But the Cards were hurt, and not the same team that accumulated that record. So really, the Padres a pretty weak opponent.

    The point is, that a teams's record, especially early in the season, is a terrible and very inaccurate way to measure how good they are, or how difficult an opponent they are.

  15. #14
    Savante SpiritofStLouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Dregs of the diseased mind
    Posts
    273

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by JayStubbs View Post
    You're actually making my point for me.

    Like you said, and others have said, it's not who you play, but when you play them. A team's record at any one time, especially early on the season, doesn't reflect how difficult it will be to beat them.

    I already provided empirical evidence that at the time of the year last season, nine out of the sixteen teams had records that didn't reflect their talent level. And your example of a team suffering injuries only makes the point even clearer.

    I can take a similar example to prove my point.

    Lets say the Cards lose Wainwright, Holliday, Molina and Beltran for a week. They all get the flu. The Padres play them and sweep them. The SOS show that the Padres faced a tough opponent, with the bet record in the league. But the Cards were hurt, and not the same team that accumulated that record. So really, the Padres a pretty weak opponent.

    The point is, that a teams's record, especially early in the season, is a terrible and very inaccurate way to measure how good they are, or how difficult an opponent they are.
    I see your point, but the fact that the Cardinals weren't at 100% when they got swept by San Diego doesn't matter when calculating either team's strength of schedule after the sweep. Those games were actually played.

    The Cardinals sat Yadi last night, so you can argue that they were weakened, and you'd be right. But the game was played and recorded as a win for St.Louis and a loss by the Mets. That's fact, it happened.

    You can't dismiss it just because the 2 teams records will be different at the end of the season, that's not what the stat is designed for.

    I didn't create the stat, and put whatever relevance to it as you care to, but the fact is that the SOS stat exists, that's how it's calculated, and the numbers are what they are.

    The NFL uses a SOS calculation as a tie breaker to determine the playoffs. Granted, the season is over, but the SOS is determined on games that have been played. It's not determined on how many wins Vegas predicted them to win at the beginning of the season.

    I don't know what else to tell you, if you want to say the Reds have played a tougher schedule than the Cardinals to this point, feel free. The numbers don't back you up, though.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

  16. #15
    Member Beltway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    411

    Re: Strength of schedule

    Quote Originally Posted by JayStubbs View Post
    Actually, those that have argued that the Reds have played a more difficult schedule were correct.

    The stat that is on the ESPN website is worthless. It does not actually measure the strength of the schedule that a team played, despite the name that they give it.

    The strength of a team's scheduled cannot, nor should it ever be measured by the early season records of their opponents. Those records do not reveal how good or how strong a team is. Here is why:

    2012 mid may records vs. final records:

    Giants 18-19 finished 94-68
    Reds 18-17 finished 97-65
    Brewers 16-24 finished 83-79
    Miami 20-17 finished 69-73
    Mets 20-16 finished 74-88
    Cards 20-11 finished 88-74
    Astros 15-17 finished 55-107
    D-Backs 16-21 finished 81-81
    Dodgers 24-12 finished 86-76
    If you know what the final records for every team will be in 2013, please let me know. I'd like to make some money.

    The only thing we actually KNOW is how well teams have performed up to this point. Nothing more.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25