Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would I have any luck fighting this?

Would I have any luck fighting this?

I got a speeding ticket several days ago, and upon looking over it I've found multiple errors and misnomers.

1) He spelled my name wrong.

2) He got the model of my car wrong, actually left it off altogether.

3) He indicated that he verified I have insurance, when in fact he didn't. He even told me he wasn't going to.

4) He put a very ambiguous road name. He indicated "Farmersville Pike" when there are at least three roads nearby which technically could be called Farmersville Pike. The correct road name is "Germantown-Farmersville Pike".

Furthermore, during the traffic stop he made himself look pretty foolish. I have a CCW, and you're supposed to declare whether or not you have a weapon with you in the car. Normally I do so the very second I get a chance, without interrupting the officer of course.

The officer asked me as soon as I rolled my window down, actually never giving me a chance to declare it myself. I said "Actually yes, I do..." and he went on to tell me I'd committed a crime by not declaring it to him, even though he never gave me a chance. He went on to say "You've VERY lucky I'm not arresting you over this... Actually, I'm not really sure if I could arrest you or not... but you'd be in a lot of trouble if this was anyone other than me!!"

He basically told me I was lucky he wasn't arresting me over a law he actually doesn't even know the ins and outs of.

Would I have any luck fighting the ticket? I really would love to get it dismissed, but I also don't want to to waste my time and have to pay court costs if there isn't much of a chance in fighting it.

This is only the second speeding ticket I've ever gotten, and I've never been to court before, so I really don't know much about the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would I have any luck fighting this?

Pay it and walk away. Not worth the trouble.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I got a speeding ticket several days ago, and upon looking over it I've found multiple errors and misnomers.

3) He indicated that he verified I have insurance, when in fact he didn't. He even told me he wasn't going to.

4) He put a very ambiguous road name. He indicated "Farmersville Pike" when there are at least three roads nearby which technically could be called Farmersville Pike. The correct road name is "Germantown-Farmersville Pike".

Furthermore, during the traffic stop he made himself look pretty foolish. I have a CCW, and you're supposed to declare whether or not you have a weapon with you in the car. Normally I do so the very second I get a chance, without interrupting the officer of course.

The officer asked me as soon as I rolled my window down, actually never giving me a chance to declare it myself. I said "Actually yes, I do..." and he went on to tell me I'd committed a crime by not declaring it to him, even though he never gave me a chance. He went on to say "You've VERY lucky I'm not arresting you over this... Actually, I'm not really sure if I could arrest you or not... but you'd be in a lot of trouble if this was anyone other than me!!"

He basically told me I was lucky he wasn't arresting me over a law he actually doesn't even know the ins and outs of.

Would I have any luck fighting the ticket? I really would love to get it dismissed, but I also don't want to to waste my time and have to pay court costs if there isn't much of a chance in fighting it.

This is only the second speeding ticket I've ever gotten, and I've never been to court before, so I really don't know much about the process.
    The judge might be amused by all that but I doubt it would matter in the end. I'd just pay it now and pass on the court costs.

Also, I think they can check to see if the owner of the car is uninsured before they even get out of their car now. IIRC, all that is in their system, at least in Ohio.

Meow, was it one of these guys?

For real though, I'd just pay the ticket
    Last edited by TSJ55; 05-16-2013 at 06:11 AM.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

6. Likes:

dougdirt (05-16-2013)

For a Level Playing Field

If you were speeding and the cop put the correct speed you were doing on the ticket, then I'd pay the fine.

Guilt is guilt. However, a bad cop is a bad cop. If you have the time, call his superior. Tell that superior everything you have stated here. I'd guess this cop has had other complaints. It might not do any good, but you never know.

8. Likes:

JB12 (05-21-2013),redsfanmia (05-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    If you were speeding and the cop put the correct speed you were doing on the ticket, then I'd pay the fine.

Guilt is guilt. However, a bad cop is a bad cop. If you have the time, call his superior. Tell that superior everything you have stated here. I'd guess this cop has had other complaints. It might not do any good, but you never know.
    Agreed with all of this.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

The officer might not even show up for court. Contest it. If the glove doesn't fit, the judge must aquit. You weren't wearing gloves were you?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The officer might not even show up for court. Contest it. If the glove doesn't fit, the judge must aquit. You weren't wearing gloves were you?
    I once won a traffic ticket by the cop not showing up. Of course you have to go downtown twice. Once to plead not guilty then a second time to actually plead your case and that's where the officer has to show up

I'm shocked, SHOCKED to find you've met a cop who was horrible at his job.

BTW, I love the 'You're lucky you're not in even more trouble' line. If you really were, he'd allow for you to be in trouble. He's just playing that line to make you feel like it could be worse so "just pay your ticket you peon!"
    Last edited by Todd Gack; 05-16-2013 at 11:33 AM.

I got stopped in a box truck last week in the middle of a small upstate New York town. The road had weight restrictions. We saw the sign, knew we were underweight and went about our merry way.

Got stopped just outside of town by a police officer who told us we were overweight. We gave him the registration, he went back to his car and looked it over, found the weight and confirmed that we were in the clear.

He came back to the driver's side window and said, "Alright, guys, I'm going to let you off with a warning."

A warning for what?

14. Likes:

REDREAD (05-16-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Generally speaking, none of the issues you've listed on the citation would render it invalid*.

*- Note, I am speaking generally and in no way is this to be construed as legal advice.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I once won a traffic ticket by the cop not showing up. Of course you have to go downtown twice. Once to plead not guilty then a second time to actually plead your case and that's where the officer has to show up
    Yep, just showing up is your best bet to fighting it. Twice I have done this, and both times, the DA offered me a nice plea deal, no points, nothing on my record, I just pay court costs, which was less than the ticket. This was offered simply to avoid having to bring the officer to court. Btw, I was able to plead not guilt by simply not responding and showing up on my court date. But this was literally decades ago.

There's no guarantee, if he shows up, who knows what will happen. But it worked for me in Ohio twice.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

If you were speeding, pay it. Consider it a deposit at the karma bank.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

How much was the ticket for..

For example, let's say it's 15 mph over the speed limit.

You can go to court, plead not guilty, and there's a 99% chance the prosecutor will offer you a reduction.. like perhaps 9 mph over instead of 15.

I forget all the specific rules, but there are certain speed increments that impact your insurance more than others.. Example, 20 mph over is obviously worse than 5 mph over.

If you have the time, go ahead in, plead not guilty and see if the prosecutor offers you a reduction.

The odds of you getting the ticket totally dismissed is very low without more evidence.. The fact that the cop was a moron isn't going to help you get the ticket dismissed. It has to be something blantant, like you asked to see the reading on the radar gun and he refused.

Just hope the judge isn't a part time umpire

BTW, I am not an expert, I just got a lot of speeding tickets when I was younger.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

How much will it cost in gasoline and parking to go to the courthouse?

Turn Off Ads?