Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pirates

Pirates

Hi. I posted on here a little bit last year. But, for those who don't know/don't remember me, I'm a big Pirates' fan. I'm just curious what an outside perspective is on the Pirates. I think this is less smoke and mirrors that what we saw last year. But, I still don't know if they have the staying power. I kind of think their best days might be ahead of them.

But, I'm curious what fans of another team think.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by IABucFan View Post
    Hi. I posted on here a little bit last year. But, for those who don't know/don't remember me, I'm a big Pirates' fan. I'm just curious what an outside perspective is on the Pirates. I think this is less smoke and mirrors that what we saw last year. But, I still don't know if they have the staying power. I kind of think their best days might be ahead of them.

Seems pretty similar to last season to me. When it comes to the pirates I will not take them seriously until they can win after July.

Until a readied Gerrit Cole arrives, I don't view them as contenders. When he shows up I'll reaccess.

Quote Originally Posted by IABucFan View Post

Always had a soft spot for the Buccos, my Mother was born and raised 30 miles south of Pittsburgh (grandfather was a big Pirates fan).

I agree with the previous poster, they have to show they can win down the stretch.

The talent is there, they have arguably the best bullpen in baseball, Marte is going to be a star, 'Cutch is maybe the best CFer in the NL, and they have a few players (Alvarez, Walker, etc.) that are a click or two away.

Another starter or two, finish changing the culture (which Hurdle is capable of) and you guys should be in the hunt.

PNC Park is my favorite ballpark in baseball, I usually go 3-4 times a year (when the Cardinals are in town). Watch the game, then cross the Clemente bridge and grab a Primanti's.

Good luck
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

I have been one of the few Reds fans who have pimped the Pirates the past few years.....I see them as staples in the central race for several years.....they are a pitcher or two away from being really good.....but right now they are a few breaks here and there from being top dog and once they get to the top, you cant argue with that......can they sustain it is the question? I think they can.....even if they fail again late in the year, at least they are putting good stretches together.....they just need the pitching to hold tough till seasons end....

call me silly or whatever but I love it when multiple teams in the central are fighting for a chance to win it all.......it makes the entire season fun to watch.

I need to see them compete through a full season before announcing they have "arrived", but I def think they are well on the right track and wil be there soon. They have some great pieces and are well ahead of where they were just a few years ago for sure. I also like to see them doing well for the division, got tired of hearing how weak the NLC is for so many years.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

They're not there yet, but I really hope that they finish above .500 this year. It's been over 20 years (ouch).

I think right now it's about 50/50 whether or not they finish above .500

I would say their ceiling is 85 wins, but will likely finish around 75-80.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime58 View Post

Sounds about right. They were so close last year, even after they fell out of the race. Then they dropped something like 7 out of their last 10.

I see no reason why the Pirates can't finish above .500. I am not sure how close that will put them at the end of things. I don't think too close. Still, stranger things have happened. The last two years, I felt they had no chance. This year they have a slight chance. One of those minor league pitching studs comes up and excels, you never know.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I have mixed feelings about the Pirates.

I think they're good enough to finish over .500.

I'm not convinced they will because they've teased the last 2 seasons and slipped when it counted.

I thought they'd somewhat turned the corner last year, then they faded badly after the break. So I'm in wait-and-see mode this time around.

Thanks to everyone for responding to this. Basically, I have the same outlook. I'm excited, but cautiously so. FWIW, I think the Reds have a great ball club.

15. Likes:

TheBlownLead (06-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime58 View Post

LOL, yup, either they do or they dont-50/50
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I, like others have mentioned, would really like to see the Pirates end the season at over .500. I think it would be REALLY cool to see the Reds take the division, the Cardinals pull a Pirates post All-Star break & fade and the Pirates grab themselves a wild-card. I still don't see that happening this season, but I think they are right on the cusp.

I do NOT hope that they continue to whip up on the Reds the rest of the season however

I def. have a soft-spot for the Pirates (much unlike the Cubs...the Cubs can continue stinking up the joint from here to eternity as far as I am concerned).

One Pirates player that I rarely hear much about, yet I, for whatever reason have been a fan of since the 2009 season when I first really took notice of him is Garrett Jones. He's certainly not a world-beater, just, IMO, a good solid player with decent power. Or maybe it's simply due to the fact that I have seen that guy stick it to the Reds quite a few times (thinking back to the '09 season...the guy, to me, seemed like a real Reds killer that particular year).

McCutchen is great (you guys wanna trade Chapman straight up for Cutch? - I'd do that trade in a heartbeat!)....

Turn Off Ads?