Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pirates

Re: Pirates

Also (and this is a bit off-subject here), but one of the things I dislike about the Sun Deck/ORG merger is the fact that I can no longer create new threads here in the Sun Deck. No offense intended whatsoever to the board owners for implementing this policy and no offense intended to the ORG posters, but for whatever reason(s), I feel a tad bit more "at home" here in the good ole Sun Deck vs. the ORG...not sure why, I just do. I always enjoyed my time here on the Deck & simply never cared one iota to ever go through any sort of "vote-in" process to become an org member........but, with that out of the way, I'll ask the question here (that I would have simply created a new topic for otherwise):

How do you guys feel the Brewers will ultimately pan out this season? Started off the season looking pretty bad, got REALLY hot & now they seem to be shading back towards the "bad" end of the spectrum.

Braun is a great player, period. Weeks, well, I have to admit I have expected more from him. Aoki looks good. Lucroy is hit/miss, but can be clutch at times. Axford is not looking very good thus far. Starting pitching has been hit/miss.

So where do you guys/gals see 'em landing at seasons end?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mikdavrut View Post
    Also (and this is a bit off-subject here), but one of the things I dislike about the Sun Deck/ORG merger is the fact that I can no longer create new threads here in the Sun Deck. No offense intended whatsoever to the board owners for implementing this policy and no offense intended to the ORG posters, but for whatever reason(s), I feel a tad bit more "at home" here in the good ole Sun Deck vs. the ORG...not sure why, I just do. I always enjoyed my time here on the Deck & simply never cared one iota to ever go through any sort of "vote-in" process to become an org member........but, with that out of the way, I'll ask the question here (that I would have simply created a new topic for otherwise):

How do you guys feel the Brewers will ultimately pan out this season? Started off the season looking pretty bad, got REALLY hot & now they seem to be shading back towards the "bad" end of the spectrum.

Braun is a great player, period. Weeks, well, I have to admit I have expected more from him. Aoki looks good. Lucroy is hit/miss, but can be clutch at times. Axford is not looking very good thus far. Starting pitching has been hit/miss.

So where do you guys/gals see 'em landing at seasons end?
    4th behind Reds Cards and Pirates. Just ahead of the Cubs.

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    4th behind Reds Cards and Pirates. Just ahead of the Cubs.
    Yeah, it's looking that way. Guess I was expecting a little more from 'em...thought they would give the Pirates a run for their money, but it ain't looking good. Hell, they're behind the Cubs right now, and from what I have saw from 'em in the last week or two, they MIGHT end up THERE.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I see no reason why the Pirates can't finish above .500.
    I'd bet on it.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

The Pirates have always been my second-favorite team. Clemente was my favorite player before I became a big Reds fan, even, and I grew up watching their AAA team here in Charleston. I always want to see them do well.

But I don't believe in them.

I think Huntington's a bit of a con-artist, a Jim Bowden type who keeps the team looking like they're on the verge, but never takes the needed next step. I hope I'm wrong, but I'll be surprised if they finish above .500.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I'll give the Buccos this, Starling Marte seems like the real deal. He and McCutchen could make for a formidable duo in the ensuing years.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I used to keep an eye on the Astros due to the fact that I live pretty close to Lexington KY and go see a lot of Lexington Legends games. Fun watching some of these young guys and wondering if any of them will pan out and make it to the major leagues. Of course, beginning this year, they are now the A-affiliate for the Kansas City Royals, so I guess I'll start paying a bit more attention to the Royals. Legends games are a lot of fun. Cheap beer, etc. Just a good, fun night out.

Pete says they'll be in the race until early August.

I have been a huge Pirates fan since I was a kid. I jumped on the bandwagon in the early 90s, when they had Bonds, Bonilla, Van Slyke, Bell, Lind, LaValliere, Drabek, Smiley, etc. I guess I picked the wrong time to start following baseball, and the wrong team to boot. But, I'm loyal. The Bucs are my team, and I've supported them through thin for twenty years (not much "thick" in there over that time frame). Now that they seem to be right on the verge of putting it together, I'm not about to abandon ship (pun intended).

I do, however, think that their best days are ahead of them. They have a lot of good pitching coming up. Everyone knows about Cole and Taillon, and most people who follow the minors at all have heard of Luis Heredia. But, they have a dark horse in Nick Kingham who is having a big year. He was drafted the same year as Taillon, so he didn't get the press. But I have dreams of a rotation with those four in it and being rounded out by someone (maybe Jeff Locke?).

I'm actually a closet Reds fan as well, sort of. I think you guys have built a very solid team and done it the right way.

Don't write off the Brewers. They're starting to hit again, except for Weeks, and he can't stay down forever. Plus, Hart will be back soon.

The starting pitching is better than they've shown, and Axeford is coming around in the pen (plus K Rod is ready to join the team soon).

They could have easily swept the Cardinals last weekend.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

2013 Pirates, see 2009 Reds. The pieces are in place for a strong contending team for years to come. Young pitching, young talent, learning how to win. BTW, I love Marte and McCutchin.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

I thought last year was for real, then their bats went cold. Adding Wandy was smart and I still like their rotation this year. I like them quite a bit, especially as they add a lot of former top talent and play to their strengths. I think Hurdle is a huge pain in the butt and he likes it that way. I think people didn't realize nationally how good Marte could be this year. If he holds up, he's a ROY with maybe even a few MVP votes if they finish high enough. If Baltimore could do it, I know the Pirates can. I just hope they finish 2nd in front of the Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    Don't write off the Brewers. They're starting to hit again, except for Weeks, and he can't stay down forever. Plus, Hart will be back soon.

The starting pitching is better than they've shown, and Axeford is coming around in the pen (plus K Rod is ready to join the team soon).

They could have easily swept the Cardinals last weekend.
    I agree with this. I hate the Brewers, with a passion. But, there is too much talent on that team for them to stink all year. That said, I do think they finish fourth in the division. It's great having a lot of good teams in the NL Central for once.

I guess the Brewers could come around, but as of now (of course) I'm just not seeing it. They certainly appear to have some solid pieces without doubt, but I just don't know about that team....they give me a "vibe" (yeah, weak, I know but that's the best way I can describe it) that just does not feel "right"/good about 'em as a team overall. I do think they will finish ahead of the Cubs, but I just can not see 'em pulling past the Pirates when all is said and done. (Now watch 'em go on a double-digit winning spree and make me look like a complete fool )

I like the Pirates...they look like a good, solid team to me (and I nearly always root for them sans when they play the Reds).

The Pirates will finish second IMO in the NL Central. The Cards will fall to 3rd or worse with Garcia and Westbrook going down.

Turn Off Ads?