Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cards versus Reds the schedule

Cards versus Reds the schedule

Here is the Reds and Cardinals schedules by opponents record with regards to .500. The first number is counting the each other's +500 records and the number in parantheses is with each others records not figured in. If the Reds/Cards play a team more than once in a month I doubled the figures to try and keep things equitable.

Cards Reds
    Opp. Opp.
    April +24 (+17) -12 (-24)
    May -23 (-23) -33 (-33) The two don't play
    June -30 (-37) +27 (+15)
    July -49 (-49) +6 (+6) The two don't play
    Aug +4 (-11) +9 (-15)
    Sept -2 (-9) -24 (-36)
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 05-15-2013 at 04:36 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cards versus Reds the schedule

May I be the first to say "Huh?"

Try wrapping Code around the details. It should make it easier to figure out.
    Last edited by klw; 05-15-2013 at 12:32 PM.

4. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (05-15-2013),Homer Bailey (05-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    May I be the first to say "Huh?"
    2nd'd
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

You do realize that any such analysis is seriously flawed since teams will float between over/under .500, esp. this early in the season. Strength of schedule is really not an issue in MLB. There's enough games to smooth out any short term inequities.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

7. Likes:

Old school 1983 (05-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    You do realize that any such analysis is seriously flawed since teams will float between over/under .500, esp. this early in the season. Strength of schedule is really not an issue in MLB. There's enough games to smooth out any short term inequities.
    Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I realize this analysis if you want to call it that, isn't any sort of exact science. I also realize that most teams do float around the 500 mark. Most of the teams that float around 500 will cancel themselves out in the end. It's the months with the biggest +/- differencial that I was looking for . What this strength of schedule shows (imho) is that June, July, and Sept will go a long way to proving who wins the division. This is a small sample size I know. If you think it's a bunch of mumbo jumbo that's fine as well.
    Last edited by SidneySlicker; 05-15-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Did you try to look at the number of games vs teams over .500 and number vs teams under .500?

Now that I have studied you first post more I think I understand how you have it presented. I think looking at the strength of schedule going forward does have merit, I just couldn't grasp your system at first.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Did you try to look at the number of games vs teams over .500 and number vs teams under .500?

Now that I have studied you first post more I think I understand how you have it presented. I think looking at the strength of schedule going forward does have merit, I just couldn't grasp your system at first.
    Its not who you play, its when you play them in this grand old game. Case in point, last year, those that caught the Padres in the first half of the year benefitted, while those who faced them after the break were looking at a very tough opponent. I think looking at this in May is just too early to make anything more than a SWAG, akin to preseason predictions. This is much more relevant in August and September.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I'm not sure I get it. If you add up the Cards Opp you get -76 & when you add up the Reds Opp you get -27. Shouldn't they be somewhat similar or is there that much disparity.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?
    It was, sadly, over for many people when the Japanese invaded Hawaii.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I'm guessing you're not a teacher, eh? And if you are, damn do I feel sorry for your students. You might as well of posted this in Greek.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Here is the Reds and Cardinals schedules by opponents record with regards to .500. The first number is counting the each other's +500 records and the number in parantheses is with each others records not figured in. If the Reds/Cards play a team more than once in a month I doubled the figures to try and keep things equitable.

Cards Reds
    Opp. Opp.
    April +24 (+17) -12 (-24)
    May -23 (-23) -33 (-33) The two don't play
    June -30 (-37) +27 (+15)
    July -49 (-49) +6 (+6) The two don't play
    Aug +4 (-10) +9 (-15)
    Sept -2 (-9) -24 (-36)
    This confirms what I thought, the Cards have had a tougher road and are ahead in the standings. They also appear to have an easier schedule going forward. We'll see how things continue to shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I'm guessing you're not a teacher, eh? And if you are, damn do I feel sorry for your students. You might as well of posted this in Greek.
    Sorry there were spaces in the unposted version, but when I posted the thread it threw everything together, and no I'm not a teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    I'm not sure I get it. If you add up the Cards Opp you get -76 & when you add up the Reds Opp you get -27. Shouldn't they be somewhat similar or is there that much disparity.
    The first column are opposing teams records above or below .500 with the Reds and Cardinals +/-'s included. The number in the parentheses are the teams they opposes with the Red's and Cardinals +/-'s not included.

The reason the Cardinals minus is so much greater is because they are 12 games over .500 to the Reds 7 games. Thus each time they play there is a 5 game additional differencial. That sounds about as clear as mud, but the best way i can describe it.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    It was, sadly, over for many people when the Japanese invaded Hawaii.

Not an Animal House fan I take it Puffy?

19. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (05-15-2013),jhiller21 (05-16-2013),westofyou (05-15-2013)

Turn Off Ads?