Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Cozart, Marshall and Broxton

Cozart, Marshall and Broxton

First off, I think we all agree here that Cozart should NEVER hit higher than 8th, plain and simple. You do not bat a player who is hovering near the mendoza line between your 2 BEST hitters. Cozart refuses to hit the ball the other way, no plate discipline and awful pitch recognition.

Second, the way Dusty uses Marshall is borderline criminal. He is one of the best RP in the game of baseball, he is NOT A LOOGY, I mean look at his numbers against RH and LH hitters, look at his durability while in Chicago and the number of games he was used. So far in 2013, Dusty has allowed Marshall to throw a total of 6 IP! That is insane. In no situation should Broxton be trusted over Marshall.

Third, the decision to give Broxton 3/21 M is one of the worst contracts the Reds could have allowed to happen, Jocketty has continued to be burnt by giving RP contracts. Madson was bad luck, Masset hasn't pitched in 2 years, Broxton is awful and Marshall isn't even used properly. I mean if your going to trade Wood and 5 years of team control at least get your money out of Marshall, but Dusty has failed thus far.

I hope 2013 is the last year Dusty Baker manages this team, I realize players respect him and play hard for him, but his mismanagement with the pitching staff, the awful in game decision making, the inability to play small ball and to be aggressive on the bases and the stubbornness to keep putting players in a spot that doesn't help them succeed will cost this team a lot of games.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cozart, Marshall and Broxton

Quote Originally Posted by Red Swagger View Post
    So far in 2013, Dusty has allowed Marshall to throw a total of 6 IP! That is insane. In no situation should Broxton be trusted over Marshall.
    you're bringing up a whole lot of topics here, so let me just reply to this one. You do know that Marshall was out for awhile due to "shoulder fatigue" yes?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    you're bringing up a whole lot of topics here, so let me just reply to this one. You do know that Marshall was out for awhile due to "shoulder fatigue" yes?
    Marshall came off of the DL and pitched his first game back on April 27th, the Reds 25th game. Last night was the Reds 42nd game. That is a span of 18 games played. Sean Marshall has 5 innings pitched over that time.

Yes, Marshall missed time because of the injury. But since coming back, he has still been under used. Big time.

It does seem Dusty only wants to use Marshal against lefties. I think Dusty feels lefty relievers can only get lefty hitters out. At this rate, I expect the Reds to try and trade Marshall in the offseason for salary relief.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I often wonder how successful the Reds would have to be for people to lay off of Dusty. I know that there are many factors involved, but having a players manager like Baker that maintains a happy clubhouse can be a big difference between a great team and an incredibly talented team that performs like Tor, LAA, or LaD.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

The Marshall thing is infuriating. Honestly, I was supportive of Dusty for a long time, but after his long standing obstinate and quite frankly childish handling of Aroldis Chapman, combined with using our 2nd best reliever as a LOOGY, I'm sick of him. I can't wait until he's gone, hopefully after this season.

8. Likes:

remdog (05-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I often wonder how successful the Reds would have to be for people to lay off of Dusty. I know that there are many factors involved, but having a players manager like Baker that maintains a happy clubhouse can be a big difference between a great team and an incredibly talented team that performs like Tor, LAA, or LaD.
    You're probably right. But, that is just what goes on on Internet message boards, talk radio and bar rooms.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

I'd make a couple of points in response to this thread.

First, it's said that nobody hitting near the Mendoza line should hit second in this lineup. Cozart certainly is hitting near the line. But so is Frazier, .214. Hanigan is below the line, .154. Mes is at .230. I would hit the LFer second, but there really isn't a lot of choice with Phillips at cleanup.

Marshall should be used primarily against lefty portions of the opponent's lineup. He is the only lefty available before the ninth inning. That's the way Baker manages as do virtually all major league managers. The closer pitches the ninth.

Marshall, of course, is not the same against lefties and righties. Lifetime, he has allowed .729 OPS against righties. He has allowed .622, more than 100 points better, against lefties. Last season, the split was even more dramatic. .725 v. .410 OPS against.

Also, Dusty is likely taking it easy on Marshall because he was injured. Last season, when Sean was healthy, he led the team with 73 appearances and had 61 relief innings, tied for second on the ballclub. He certainly wasn't babied.

As for Broxton, I wasn't a fan of the deal. Couldn't care less about the dollars, but I didn't think last year Broxton showed himself to have closer's stuff. But he's hardly "awful." As a set up man he's certainly adequate or better. His lifetime stats are quite excellent and he should now be recovered from injury.
    Last edited by Kc61; 05-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Turn Off Ads?