Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Office finale

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Office finale

The show has fallen on hard times in recent years, relative to its peak. But I thought the finale was beautifully written, and made me tear up. Michael Scott's return was perfect. Just enough of him to leave me satisfied, but not too much to take away from the other characters. The show limped off into the sunset like an old ballplayer, but just like we don't remember Willie Mays for his fall in the World Series or Barry Larkin contributing minimally on sub .500 disappointing teams, we'll remember the brightest days of that show. And boy were there many. Good bye, old friend.

2. Likes:

Backup Catcher (05-20-2013),Chip R (05-17-2013),dougdirt (05-17-2013),Homer Bailey (05-18-2013),JB12 (05-21-2013),Playadlc (05-17-2013),redsfanmia (05-17-2013),RichRed (05-17-2013),The Operator (05-18-2013),Tom Servo (05-17-2013)

Re: The Office finale

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    The show has fallen on hard times in recent years, relative to its peak. But I thought the finale was beautifully written, and made me tear up. Michael Scott's return was perfect. Just enough of him to leave me satisfied, but not too much to take away from the other characters. The show limped off into the sunset like an old ballplayer, but just like we don't remember Willie Mays for his fall in the World Series or Barry Larkin contributing minimally on sub .500 disappointing teams, we'll remember the brightest days of that show. And boy were there many. Good bye, old friend.
    I think if you were a true fan of the show from the beginning, then you appreciated what they did for the finale. I don't think there could have been a more perfect ending. I was kind of hoping Michael came back at the end when they were all in the office, but I think it was beautifully done.

It was funny and heart warming at the same time, something that few if any finales have achieved.

4. Likes:

Backup Catcher (05-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Playadlc View Post
    It was funny and heart warming at the same time, something that few if any finales have achieved.
    This is something The Office, in it's entirety achieved and perfected over the years... There aren't many comedies that can do this, nor are they many that even try.

I'm sure gonna miss this show.

6. Likes:

redsfanmia (05-21-2013)

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

I stopped watching after season 5, but I watched the finale just to see the characters say goodbye. Although I didn't understand half of what was going on, it was just charming enough (and surprisingly offbeat) to make me happy to step back into Scranton one more time. It reinforced the fact that I don't really need to see the last four seasons, though. The retrospective was also very well done. It's refreshing in the celebrity age to see actors who are really fond of their work, even when most have gone on to do much bigger things.

I still believe that the first two seasons are some of the finest work ever done on network television.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I stopped watching after season 5, but I watched the finale just to see the characters say goodbye. Although I didn't understand half of what was going on, it was just charming enough (and surprisingly offbeat) to make me happy to step back into Scranton one more time. It reinforced the fact that I don't really need to see the last four seasons, though. The retrospective was also very well done. It's refreshing in the celebrity age to see actors who are really fond of their work, even when most have gone on to do much bigger things.

I still believe that the first two seasons are some of the finest work ever done on network television.
    I too bailed around then, agree on the finale, it had it's moments and then some I could care less about

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    I stopped watching after season 5, but I watched the finale just to see the characters say goodbye. Although I didn't understand half of what was going on, it was just charming enough (and surprisingly offbeat) to make me happy to step back into Scranton one more time. It reinforced the fact that I don't really need to see the last four seasons, though. The retrospective was also very well done. It's refreshing in the celebrity age to see actors who are really fond of their work, even when most have gone on to do much bigger things.I still believe that the first two seasons are some of the finest work ever done on network television.
    Completely agreed. It gave me chills to see so many of the actors tear up in the last 15 minutes. Andy and Jim both had tears in their eyes, and Michael cried in his farewell episode. It was so neat to me that not only were those the tears of their character's, but also the tears of them as humans. They had a special bond and were together for so long. Just great chemistry.

Good finale, I tried to hang but lost interest late in season 8, picked up the last few weeks. I have always found Jim and Pam extremely likable.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I couldn't bring myself to erase it from my DVR.

High five!

I tried to hang in there this season but haven't watched the past few new episodes until last night. A good wrap up and nice to see Michael there for a few minutes.

I wish Michael's only line had been "That's what she said." They should have left it at that.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

It would have been perfect if they had just left out Ryan and Kelly, those two were always useless.
    Go Gators!

15. Likes:

redsfanmia (05-18-2013),WildcatFan (05-20-2013)

I got around to watching it Friday and I thought they did a great job with the finale. I actually enjoyed this past season much more than the previous couple. I didn't like the Jim/Pam relationship issues, but thought they did a good job overall this season.

I liked the ending at the office and wish Michael had a little bigger role. The irony with the cast is when they started out they all were nobodies in show biz. It was kinda cool to see the cast grow as a whole.

Worth The Wait

I thought season 7-8 struggled and limped along, but I thought this last season was excellent on par with the glory days.

It is on my Mt. Rushmore of all time TV shows with The Wonder Years, Seinfeld, and Lost.

The finale was by far the best of any show I've followed... Although I liked the Lost ending as well. The show was brilliantly written and the actors were so genuine. It was a wonderful show that always made me laugh while always still tugging at the heartstrings enough to make you care about the characters.

I will miss it.

I haven't been watching the last few years as I was a bit disappointed they didn't do more with the Robert California character after such a promising start to his arrival. I will probably catch up and watch this final season at some point this summer. That said, didn't they say Steve Carrel was not going to do a cameo for the final episode? Was that merely to keep it a surprise or did he have a change of heart?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I belong to Netflix and I have a routine of watching an episode every night before I go to bed. I am on season 5 right now. Before I started this I really had never watched but maybe one episode in my entire life but I really love the show. Dwight is hands down my favorite. Michael is one of TV's greatest characters ever. Stanley and Kevin for some reason are also two of my favorites.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?