Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Garcia to DL

Re: Garcia to DL

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Coming up ahead of schedule has nothing to do with what I said though. My point is holding guys back who are worthy of being brought up right now, who could be helping your team - and not doing it to save money.

Nobody that meets that description is really coming up ahead of schedule if you ask me.
    Super 2 status isn't the make all break all that it was in the recent past. It is becoming more and more common for teams to buy out a player's remaining years of eligibility and sign them to a lengthy contract at a reasonable rate, avoiding the first big FA contract.

The Cardinals just did it with Craig, the Rays did it with Longoria, the Cubs with Rizzo. In most cases, it's a smart move.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Martinez, Rosenthal, Wacha and Jenkins are the Cardinals' long-term answers for their rotation. Gast, Lyons, Kelly and Maness are just interim placeholders. The Cardinals are loaded with top pitching prospects.
    OT: Jenkins will never be in the cards starting rotation

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Salukifan2 View Post
    OT: Jenkins will never be in the cards starting rotation
    And Rosenthal and Martinez may end up relievers.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    Super 2 status isn't the make all break all that it was in the recent past. It is becoming more and more common for teams to buy out a player's remaining years of eligibility and sign them to a lengthy contract at a reasonable rate, avoiding the first big FA contract.

The Cardinals just did it with Craig, the Rays did it with Longoria, the Cubs with Rizzo. In most cases, it's a smart move.
    Except players with Super 2 gets much larger contracts because of the Super 2 status. Players/Agents/Owners take into account the Super 2 status in figuring out a reasonable contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Bronson Arroyo has 126 more career wins than Gast using his slop.

Bronson Arroyo is not currently a good comparison for Gast. Arroyo is what Gast should be aspiring to be.
    Yeah! So there Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    Basically, it's a time clock for a player that allows for arbitration a year earlier than otherwise eligible. It means a team will lose a year of control over a player, which inevitably costs the team money.
    Again, you do not lose a year of control of a Super 2 player. They just become eligible for arbitration a year earlier. You still control that player for 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Again, you do not lose a year of control of a Super 2 player. They just become eligible for arbitration a year earlier. You still control that player for 6 years.
    I think he meant cost control. The extra year of arb rather than 500k can be 10+ mil swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Sorry, what I meant by control was non arbitration years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    I think he meant cost control. The extra year of arb rather than 500k can be 10+ mil swing.
    Thanks, that is what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rijo's Ghost View Post
    depending on when a player is called up, they can be eligible for an extra year of arbitration, which costs the team money
    I see...how long has this business been going on?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    or you mean Bronson Arroyo? Reds fans of all people shouldn't be commenting on guys who throw slop when you have the definition of slop in your starting rotation.
    Bronson Arroyo has never missed a start in his career, and and averaged a 2.4 WAR over his 9 full years of being a major league starter.

For every one Bronson Arroyo who succeeds throwing slop, there are a hundred no names who never make it.

The odds of Gast fitting into the latter category far outweigh him being another Bronson Arroyo.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 05-20-2013 at 04:55 PM.

13. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (05-22-2013),Homer Bailey (05-20-2013)

I love Mike's insight.

But when he "Reds fans this" or "Reds fans that" on a Reds fan site, it's all fair game at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    I see...how long has this business been going on?
    since 1990

It's been announced that Garcia is having season ending shoulder surgery.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    It's been announced that Garcia is having season ending shoulder surgery.
    I'm having a hard time with this guilty feeling. I feel bad for Jaime Garcia the person for getting hurt and needing surgery. But I also find myself grinning because a Cardinal pitcher who I can't stand is done for the year. Does this make me an evil person? *sigh*

18. Likes:

Allegro (05-23-2013)

Turn Off Ads?