Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Garcia to DL

Re: Garcia to DL

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'm having a hard time with this guilty feeling. I feel bad for Jaime Garcia the person for getting hurt and needing surgery. But I also find myself grinning because a Cardinal pitcher who I can't stand is done for the year. Does this make me an evil person? *sigh*
    I don't see the conflict Charles, I feel the same way about a lot of other players/teams. Let me 'splain:

I hope that Pujols comes out of his 'decline' and gets back to his elite status. At the same time, I hope the Angels finish with the 6th best record in the AL EVERY year, smelling the playoffs and NEVER getting in just because they went out and opened the checkbook to buy a WS or 2 with stupid outragous money. I don't like seeing AP limping around this year but think of all the money LAA is going to throw away in the lattr years of the contract and crack up laughing.

The exception in my case is ARod and the Yankees - can't stand either of them.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I hate the fact that Garcia is out for the year, and here's why: the Cardinals probably have options better than him to replace him.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I hate the fact that Garcia is out for the year, and here's why: the Cardinals probably have options better than him to replace him.
    doubtful, as Garcia is a pretty good pitcher

5. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-23-2013)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

They are currently using Gast and Lyons in the rotation.

Plus, Garcia's 162 game average is 14-9, 3.45 with about 200 innings.

So, IMO, "probably" become "doubtful" in a hurry.

We will see tonight in San Diego.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

FWIW, and because it doesn't deserve it's own thread, Westbrook has been shut down once again after throwing 20 pitches off the mound.

His elbow doesn't feel right.

I'm really wondering when they're going to activate Wacha. I know that the Cards are waiting for a certain date so it doesn't automatically activate some goofy thing in the contract and I know that when they call him up, they want him to remain at the big league club. I just feel that he is a better long term solution than Lyons or Gast. Lyons pitched great tonight but that is probably something we can't expect going forward. I don't know how they can keep a guy who has a 2.05 ERA with 4 wins and a .949 WHIP, who pitches in the PCL, down in the minors for long.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 05-23-2013 at 02:16 AM.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Hey Buster, Bronson Arroyo is not just a slop thrower. He is the King of Slop. There can only be one King of Slop.
    I never said slop was a bad thing if it gets the job done. I just thought it was a curious statement on the part of the poster I was responding to.

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I'm really wondering when they're going to activate Wacha. I know that the Cards are waiting for a certain date so it doesn't automatically activate some goofy thing in the contract and I know that when they call him up, they want him to remain at the big league club. I just feel that he is a better long term solution than Lyons or Gast. Lyons pitched great tonight but that is probably something we can't expect going forward. I don't know how they can keep a guy who has a 2.05 ERA with 4 wins and a .949 WHIP, who pitches in the PCL, down in the minors for long.
    From what I've read, holding off on Wacha is justified. This time last year, he was pitching for Texas A & M. He's only 21, and has never pitched in a 5 man rotation, and has less than a year in the minors.

The Redbirds have been successful because they haven't jumped the gun and called players up before they're ready.

A perfect example is Kolten Wong. Many of us arm chair GMs wanted him at 2B to start the season, but the FO knew better. They rolled the dice with Matt Carpenter and as of today, he has the highest WAR in MLB as a 2B.

Meanwhile, Wong is hitting over .330 at AAA with 1 error, and is only 22.

I don't know if it's sustainable, but the Cardinals have 1 starter and 2 relievers with over one full season of experience.

Gotta love depth.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

They rolled the dice with Matt Carpenter and as of today, he has the highest WAR in MLB as a 2B.
    Technically, on the Fansgraph page, that's what it says. But he's there for his defensive value, most of which he earned while playing third when he filled in for Freese. He actually hasn't played enough games at 2B to qualify as a starter at secondbase for the league. Technically, he's a utility player.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Technically, on the Fansgraph page, that's what it says. But he's there for his defensive value, most of which he earned while playing third when he filled in for Freese. He actually hasn't played enough games at 2B to qualify as a starter at secondbase for the league. Technically, he's a utility player.
    So basically you're saying he's the NL version of Ben Zobrist?

Mike Shannon

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I don't know, I'm liking the look of facing Tyler Lyons, he of pedestrian minor league numbers, over Garcia. Or Wacha. Or any other youngster that should be in the minors and is pressed into service due to injuries. I'm just fine with that. The more they pitch, the more their limits will be exposed.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

I thought it was dumb at the end of the year last season when he didnt have surgery. You kind of knew something like this was coming. Kinda the same way you know whats going to happen when dusty leaves a pitcher in. But He sure was a Reds Killer. Its ashame what happened, but i guess im not really upset by it

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    If you look more closely at Wacha's stats, he doesn't look so dominating.

His BABIP is .197 has he's not striking out guys at all (5.8 per 9 innings). He's also giving them only 5.8 innings per start, and has given up 5 HR's. Last year, in only 21 innings he struck out 40 batters, so he's certainly not missing bats like he was last year.

He's also only 21, and I think his lack of experience and the fact he isn't dominating hitters or missing bats has more to do with his non-premotion than the super 2 thing.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (05-23-2013), OnBaseMachine (05-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    I thought it was dumb at the end of the year last season when he didnt have surgery. You kind of knew something like this was coming. Kinda the same way you know whats going to happen when dusty leaves a pitcher in. But He sure was a Reds Killer. Its ashame what happened, but i guess im not really upset by it
    Since shoulder surgery often means the end of a pitcher's career, pitchers tend to do it only as a last resort, after all rehab attempts fail. It also looks like he has a rotor cuff problem too.

Turn Off Ads?