Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price calls prospect Corcino a bright spot early in camp

Price calls prospect Corcino a bright spot early in camp

"It was a step back last year for Daniel Corcino," Reds manager Bryan Price said. "But I don't think he was ever right. He turned it around in the second half a bit. When he was with us [last spring], his arm slot was low. His stuff was flat. His velocity on both his fastball and slider dropped down. His command kind of fell by the wayside."

During the early days of camp, Price has seen marked improvement. Corcino's velocity, command and confidence seem to have returned.

"This spring, he has been one of the many bright spots," Price said. "He would be that comeback player of the year if he throws like he is now. He would have a dynamite year. He's going to be a guy that would quickly put himself into position to be toward the top of the list of guys that could help us this year."
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...k_cin&c_id=cin

2. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (03-03-2014),BillDoran (02-22-2014),corkedbat (02-23-2014),dougdirt (02-22-2014),Gallen5862 (02-22-2014),mace (02-22-2014),Old school 1983 (02-23-2014),PepperJack (02-22-2014),RED VAN HOT (02-22-2014),REDREAD (02-24-2014),RedTeamGo! (02-25-2014),SirFelixCat (02-22-2014),Tom Servo (02-23-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Price calls prospect Corcino a bright spot early in camp

Thank God. Corcino practically fell off my radar last year. With the lack of depth this season and all the contracts expiring in the near future, Corcino getting back on track would be huge.

He's still pretty young. I think we may have wrote him off a little too early last year despite the poor season.

If Corcino comes back that would be huge for this organization.

Quote Originally Posted by nate1213 View Post
    If Corcino comes back that would be huge for this organization.

Corcino is one of three that I'm hoping to see have big bounce-back/breakout seasons:

1. Dan Corcino
    2. Yorman Rodriguez
    3. Dan Langfield

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Still no word about whether Corcino will start or relieve this year. If the Reds think he can possibly start in the majors and he is legitimately looking better, I would hope that the Reds give him a rotation spot in Louisville.

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-23-2014)

Corcino, Holmberg and Stephenson are three that I think could push the Reds to deal an arm for a bat come the trade deadline (Leake?).

11. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-23-2014)

One thing that amazes me is how rarely it's brought up that the Reds asked Corcino to do changes to his mechanics last year. It should've been expected he would be inconsistent. Hopefully the added time with his adjustments are paying off and getting him back to where he left off.

13. Likes:

OGB (02-25-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Still no word about whether Corcino will start or relieve this year. If the Reds think he can possibly start in the majors and he is legitimately looking better, I would hope that the Reds give him a rotation spot in Louisville.

Was there ever word he might be relieving?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Was there ever word he might be relieving?
    He pitched out of the bullpen at the end of last year in Louisville and all of Winter Ball.

With Wang, Francis, Marshall, Rogers, Holmberg and Corcino all slated for Louisville, things will get interesting if Francis and/or Wang do not opt out.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    He pitched out of the bullpen at the end of last year in Louisville and all of Winter Ball.

With Wang, Francis, Marshall, Rogers, Holmberg and Corcino all slated for Louisville, things will get interesting if Francis and/or Wang do not opt out.
    Didn't even realize that. If Bryan Price is raving about him in spring training though, I'd imagine Corcino has the upper hand over about anyone on that list.

It's spring training--we could see players being revered and then released a few weeks later. I wouldn't put too much stock in what coaches are saying to the media right now.

18. Likes:

HokieRed (02-24-2014),Kc61 (03-02-2014),malcontent (03-03-2014)

In his first outing today, Corcino was the 2013 version. 1 inning 4 runs, hits 2 walks, 43.20 ERA. Don't know if he's going out for another inning.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    In his first outing today, Corcino was the 2013 version. 1 inning 4 runs, hits 2 walks, 43.20 ERA. Don't know if he's going out for another inning.
    There is some good news from today.... He hit 95 MPH. I didn't see that, or much close to it all of 2013. The control.... yeah, that still needs fixing.

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-02-2014),REDREAD (03-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but this was his 2nd outing of the spring. The first was 2/3 ip, 4 runs, 3 walks. Guillon I think gave up 3 of his runs on the GS.

Turn Off Ads?