Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Tornados

Re: Oklahoma City Tornados

They're saying, so far, 9 killed and over 100 injured yesterday, so I'd say that one was pretty serious too. I can't imagine what living there would be like.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Oklahoma seems like a nice place to live. However, I wouldn't live there without storm shelters in my home, work, and schools.

Some of those guys who chase storms for a living were reportedly killed in this. The guys on the Discovery channel show.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I live in Canadian County in El Reno and this is what we had to deal with...First they rated it as an EF-3 which means up to 156 mph wind. It was headed straight into town from the west. It then veered South across I-40 and then veered North across Route 66 when runs parallel about a mile apart. This all happened maybe within a 10 mile distance. In addition to the tornado and softball-sized hail, we had a TON of rain. We got 7.4 inches within the space of about 4 hours. So the OKC area, thanks to tornadoes and flash floods from this one storm has lost about 16 people and some are still missing. A terrible last two weeks for Oklahoma.
    Last edited by Handofdeath; 06-03-2013 at 06:27 AM.

Worth The Wait

Death toll from Friday is now at 18....there is a family of 7 missing and I'm not sure if they are counted in that number or not. The events of the 20th had so many people on edge that they probably over-corrected and panicked a bit. Lots of people tried to outrun the one on the 31st and wound up getting caught in the flooding.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Oklahoma seems like a nice place to live. However, I wouldn't live there without storm shelters in my home, work, and schools.
    I've lived here basically all of my life and have never lived in a place that had a shelter. What you have to remember is that the events of the past two weeks are freakish and beyond rare.

Most of the time, the season comes and goes with some boomers and some tornadoes in outlying areas that never really hit the city. Personally, I'm much more concerned most years with the possible hail damage---our house and my truck got pelted by a monster hailstorm three years ago.

This year was the first time where I've really felt a bit uneasy---the weather patterns for weeks have been eerie.

It's an interesting question...how much time and money do you spend preparing for something that on average probably affects the area once every 50 years or so?

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    It's an interesting question...how much time and money do you spend preparing for something that on average probably affects the area once every 50 years or so?

That sounds a little bit like the kind of argument people used to make about wearing their seat belts.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Well Moore, OK has had four major tornados since 1999.

Worth The Wait

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    That sounds a little bit like the kind of argument people used to make about wearing their seat belts.
    But then shouldn't everyone in California have a safe shelter from earthquakes? Should they never build overpasses again?

I will likely either look for or add a shelter in our next home. I'm not anti-shelter by any means. But lots of blame going on right now... Especially for what happened to those kids at the school and I think it's a bit unfair.

It's not like you can take a building that was built in the mid 70's and just pop in a shelter that can safely hold 1,000 people. The money has to come from somewhere. And logistically I'm sure there are issues there as well.

Now, in terms of new construction.... Building safer homes, schools, businesses, etc only seems like the smart and logical thing to do.

An ultimately lets remember that the majority of deaths from these storms came from people NOT at home or in a building at all. Most were either in their cars, or trying to outrun it on foot.... Trying to get to safety somewhere. Of the 18 people that died Friday, I don't think any of them were in a structure.

All I'm saying is that it isn't accurate to characterize what has happened here over the past two weeks as normal. It is far from a regular occurrence.

RFS62... You risk your life 100% of the time you get into a car. Every time you could die--- wearing a seat belt is clearly an odds-beating practice. What percentage of the time in my life will I be at risk of death by tornado? No doubt... It only takes one time, but I think you get my point.

Worth The Wait

The "stats" were just released on the tornado from Friday....2.6 miles wide (widest in recorded history) with winds up to 295 mph. EF5. Holy crap

Worth The Wait

Mike Morgan, a local meteorologist is catching flak for telling people to flee south.... Many listened and it was a major cause of gridlock on the streets--- the fact that the storm took a turn to the south didn't help. But looking at those numbers shows you what Morgan saw and why he'd be inclined to tell people to run.

I live in Wichita, and drove through Moore over the weekend on the way to Dallas. It's amazing to see what it did, and you can only see a tiny portion of the damage from the highway. It's also pretty amzing to see the Warren Theater and the rest of the shopping center there along the interstate that are right next to the devastation but that were relatively unharmed. The randomness of what gets obliterated and what gets crushed is something to behold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Well Moore, OK has had four major tornados since 1999.
    That's definitely a major anomaly, though. I think only about 8-10 towns in the entire country have had two F-5/EF-5 tornadoes hit more than once in recorded history (last 125-150 years or so), with Moore being one of them.

There are many that have had multiple tornadoes hit throughout its history, but the odds of any one spot in a given town being hit twice even in a period of 50 years is pretty remote.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

RFS62... You risk your life 100% of the time you get into a car. Every time you could die--- wearing a seat belt is clearly an odds-beating practice. What percentage of the time in my life will I be at risk of death by tornado? No doubt... It only takes one time, but I think you get my point.

I get your point completely. If you live in an area with no basements which is prone to tornados, you'd better give it some thought.

If you're looking for a good investment, get into building storm shelters and safe rooms in the Midwest.

Same thing with generators after Hurricane Andrew.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

The hurricanes and tornados need to stop. Too many people get hurt and too many homes get destroyed.

What we need is a nationwide hail storm. No one gets hurt. Everyone gets new roofs, and I make some extra money.

It's a win win.

Turn Off Ads?